Biggest Cannon in the Universe 3c186

Airbrush

This is my return to the subject of quasar 3c186 in the topic "Hypervelocity Supermassive Black Hole."  There are a few interesting facts I learned about this and if anyone knows something else, please say so.  Some of this comes from this article: https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/gravitational-waves-send-supermassive-black-hole-flying/ 

1  Two supermassive black holes, of different masses, merged in such a way to send it flying out of its' galaxy at 4.7 million miles per hour (1300 miles per second) or 0.7% light speed

2  The combined mass was estimated as three billion solar masses, according to this article: https://arxiv.org/pdf/1611.05501.pdf  "...The magnitude of the host galaxy of 3C 186 as derived from our 2-D fit, is mF140W=18.86 ± 0.06. Using the WFC3 Exposure Time Calculator tool, we determine that this corresponds to a near IR K-corrected K-band magnitude K=17.1 (in the Vega system), assuming the spectral energy distribution of an elliptical galaxy.  Using the relation that links the K-band magnitude to the BH mass (Marconi& Hunt 2003), we obtain a BH mass of 3 × 10^9 solar masses."

3  The merger was equivalent to 100 million supernovae exploding at once.  I tried calculating the energy released in terms of megatons.  I arrived at over 10^36 megatons, and on a list of numbers in the US scale that would be an undecillion megatons

4  Of the mass of 3 billion solar masses, 0.1% (ONE THOUSANDTH) of the total mass was converted into energy, in what I think would be a short pulse

5  This quasar is 8 billion light years away

6  The size of 3c186 would have a radius out to the orbit of Uranus, IF it was ONE billion solar masses.  But it is estimated as THREE billion solar masses, so the radius of the SBH would extend out into the Kuiper Belt, beyond Pluto I guess.  Anyone know how far?  Out to the Oort Cloud?

So the cannon works like this.  A cannon ball that is dense as a black hole, with a radius out to the Oort Cloud(?), was fired at a speed of 1300 miles per second, propelled by an undecillion megatons of powder, with a muzzle flash equal to 100 million supernovae.  What can top that?

Anyone  have other info or corrections to my bullet points?

Edited by Airbrush

Their descriptions of the events are ambiguous about the timing. When did this happen? Obviously not 8 billion years ago, since space has expanded since then.  Is the galaxy 8 billion miles away now, or when it happened. How far away would it be now, with the expansion of space? 

It seems like there needs to be a standard way of describing distance and times with respect to the present, something more obvious. Not that I'm thinking of going there. 

2 hours ago, mistermack said:

It seems like there needs to be a standard way of describing distance and times with respect to the present, something more obvious. Not that I'm thinking of going there.

There is.

Their descriptions of the events are ambiguous about the timing. When did this happen? Obviously not 8 billion years ago, since space has expanded since then.  Is the galaxy 8 billion miles away now, or when it happened. How far away would it be now, with the expansion of space?

That isnt it.

Edited by dimreepr

On 12/2/2019 at 3:54 AM, mistermack said:

Their descriptions of the events are ambiguous about the timing. When did this happen? Obviously not 8 billion years ago, since space has expanded since then.  Is the galaxy 8 billion miles away now, or when it happened. How far away would it be now, with the expansion of space? 

This merger happened 1 to 2 billion years ago.  When it happened we were closer than 8 billion light years.

"...The study team used NASA's Hubble Space Telescope to study the galaxy 3C186, which lies about 8 billion light-years from Earth. Hubble images revealed a quasar—the incredibly bright energetic signature of a supermassive black hole—within the galaxy.

"...Why did this strange object go rogue? Hubble data also revealed that 3C186 has arc-like features called tidal tails, which are generated by gravitational forces during galaxy mergers. Based on this observation and theoretical work, the study team thinks everything started with the collision of two galaxies 1 to 2 billion years ago."

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/gravitational-waves-send-supermassive-black-hole-flying/

Edited by Airbrush

• 2 months later...
7 hours ago, Bmpbmp1975 said:

So is this stating the black hole is headed towards us?

No.Definitely not. It is moving away from us.

On 12/2/2019 at 4:52 AM, Airbrush said:

Since 3c186 is 8 billion light years away, even if it was headed directly for us, it would never get here.  The expansion of space at that distance is faster than the quasars speed of 1300 miles/second.