If some one found the secret to live forever

j-man123

No. Without hesitation. Just think about it. You'd outlive your children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren. You'd get married a couple times and it's last for 50-70 years until the other person died and then go through it all again. Everyone you know would eventually pass on, and there you'd be. Not many people could deal with that kind of heartbreak, and those that could would be the loneliest people on this planet, because they would cut themselves off from society.

Bottom line, immortality is a curse not a blessing. Why do you think "God" is so angry all the time. ;)

well if it was some kind of pill that you had to take regularly in order to stay young then i would give myself around 500 years not forever but enough to do loads of stuff like parachuting(again) go scubadiving get a pilots licence see the future etc. etc. i would get married in my last 60 years of life and the end it all by firing a malteser out of a particle accelerator and into my mouth. iwould not do this if it ment never being able to die.

Hm. It'd be tempting, and who knows, really...but ultimately I don't think I would. I mean...it'd be cool to live to be a hundred, I suppose; I'd be able to see lots of things change, hopefully for the better. But forever? No, I don't think I'd like that. There's a kind of life-weariness that hits after a certain amount of years, and I'm pretty sure that living forever would get that kicking in :)

I'd want to live forever. Sure, you'd get lonely, but everyone would respect you, and you can see your own species evolve and change in front of your eyes. I'd have time to do everything I've ever wanted to do, and then do it all over again. To me, it would be a paradise. I know I'd detatch myself from the mortals, but who needs other people anyway?

and you can see your own species evolve and change in front of your eyes.

And get stuck in a cage as "Ancient Human, Exhibit 1" :D

Danny there is a beautiful world out there, at 17 you haven't seen enough of it for a full opinion. It may sound trite, but remember that the sky is always blue, it just that you sometimes can't see it for the clouds. :D Cheer up mate.

Immortality? No thanks. All I can think of is "Yes, everything dies, now." :- Lorien.

I would take it without any hesitation whatsoever. (as long as I'm sure it'd work that is.)

And hey if you get sick of live at some point, there's always suicide. It'd be nice to be able to have time to get all that you'd want done done.

Achilles was dipped in the river Styx, and he became immortal and invulnerable except for his heel, which never came in contact with the magical liquid. If his weakness had never been revealed, he would have lived forever and not have been able to be killed.

Immortality is gooods. Who needs foolish mortal companians when there's the interweb. I could sit here, type and click for the next millenia... given I get constant computer upgrades and maintenance somehow.

But then maybe again, you can get bored of it. My human curiosity would make me wonder... what's life after death, and then I know it's time to move on.

Achilles was dipped in the river Styx, and he became immortal and invulnerable except for his heel, which never came in contact with the magical liquid. If his weakness had never been revealed, he would have lived forever and not have been able to be killed.

Not quite. He was invulnerable, but still aged. The crux of his story is that it was foretold that if he fought at Troy, he would become a legend and die in the process. If he didn't fight, he would have a long but unremarkable life. The only immortality Achilles could grasp was the one of his legand.

I would live forever, assuming that by taking it you don't age... I wouldnt like to be an 'old man' forever, it'd be nice to be a youth, or young adult forever, or even up to say 50, basically not showing signs of old age!

I mean, think about what happens to people as they age between say 20 and 80... now imagined a human after 200 years, they'd have aged so much you probably couldn't live!

(1) Such a pill would be useless, unless you also adopted a lifestyle similar to that of a Quaker or Seventh Day Adventist: No alcohol or other dangerous solvents, no recreational drugs, etc.

(2) Statistical hazards would remain, such as car accidents, injuries and scarring, resulting over long periods of time in a condition resembling Leprosy. In leprosy, nerve endings are deadened, leaving beggars vulnerable to injuries from inability to feel pain. Eventually, fingers and toes are injured repeatedly, and become stumps.

(3) The Environment would have to be seriously cleaned up for everyone, so that industrial diseases were a thing of the past. Otherwise again accumulated damage including genetic damage over time would destroy the body function by function.

(4) The 'Vampire' Syndrome: Long term exposure to seeing 'friends' come and go (die) would eventually take its toll and completely distort one's mental worldview and lead to boredom, loneliness and experimental 'evil' behaviour similar to that envisioned in Jekyll & Hyde, Frankenstein, Dracula, and Dorian Grey (all stories which explore the dangerous results of power and priviledge such as immortality). The distortion of personality and 'soul' would be so extreme and monstrous that the 'person' would no longer be recognizable.

(5) The Elitist and Class System which would inevitably arise from such unfair advantage, and would necessarily be controlled and regulated by economics and poorly implemented ethical standards resulting in favouritism. Only now, the only potential that democratic reforms ever had to allow overcoming class and race bondage would be overwhelmingly entrenched and impossible to overcome.

(6) The Shockingly Serious choice of opting for Eternal 'purgatory' in a kind of endless treadmill instead of following the destination of the rest of mankind, including the billions of people who have previously been born and died. The barrier erected between oneself and the rest of humanity would be similar to the one described by Jesus in the parable of Lazarus! (Luke)

(7) The requirement for an entire Specialized Medical system to monitor and identify any genetic change or damage, and have technology in place to make repairs. Economically, this would present a ridiculous burden on an already resource-taxed world.

(8) The inevitable fact that some people would not respond, or not respond adequately to such medical treatments, again creating a 'sub-people' relegated to a different life-potential (i.e., a 'servant-class') and hence philosophical/religious outlook. This would naturally result in severe competition between ideologies, and war.

it depends in what context. would you age and not be able to move anywhere or would you be young and strong forever? and is it only you or the rest of the people too. because if it was everybody the world would become overpopulted very quickly