Tesla Cybertruck

Curious layman

What do you think. Anybody thinking of buying one?

IMG_2591.thumb.JPG.09b9b8c6a98bb922903a6e6fd8c342c7.JPG

(From wiki) Tesla Cybertruck is an all-electric battery-powered light commercial vehicle in development by Tesla, Inc. Three models have been announced, with range estimates of 250–500 miles (400–800 km) and an estimated 0–60 mph time of 6.5–2.9 seconds, depending on the model.[9]

I really like it, it's different. I love trucks, especially the Hilux, but I've got to say, if I had the money to buy one of them I'd definitely pick the Tesla. There's something about this that makes me want one. At least it's different. I'm not sure if it's futuristic or retro though, a bit of both really I think.

Having said that, given a choice between the Cybertruck and this (below), I think I'd probably buy this. Ain't she a looker...

IMG_2589.JPG.24942d4378b3fa6ef6f2b0f7487b83e4.JPG

The thing I love most of all about the cybertruck is immense amount of internet snark it’s inspired. 

11733560-3x2-940x627.jpg

Matt over at The Oatmeal made me do a spit take with this one: 

d0ff8534e4b50e044d4f9ed9b08f1a43da3fd90a

Then even LEGO threw some shade today:

https://comicbook.com/2019/11/26/cybertruck-tesla-elon-musk-lego/

lego-cybertruck-1197619-1280x0.jpeg

Over the weekend, Elon Musk’s Tesla, Inc. unveiled the Cybertruck, the company’s first electric pickup truck. Musk’s presentation went off-script when the Cybertruck’s shatterproof windows shattered. The moment went viral and Cybertruck’s angular design became the subject of a number of jokes on social media. The LEGO Group saw this as an opportunity for brand engagement. Today, they shared to Facebook a photo of the company’s simple wheeled, rectangular, grey LEGO block in dramatic lighting. In the post from LEGO Australia, which you can see below, the company writes, “The evolution of the truck is here. Guaranteed shatterproof 😬

I dislike the design of the cargo area more than anything else. Looks more like a trunk than useable as a truck bed. I couldn't imagine hauling furniture around or having a couple of two-by-fours extending out the back of it.

Something more like the F-150 but electric, would capture the market better I think.

Definitely an interesting cyberpunk design otherwise though.

Edited by Endy0816

50 minutes ago, Endy0816 said:

I dislike the design of the cargo area more than anything else

Apparently they did this to enable towing without a heavy frame. They needed to remove the massive truck frame to reduce weight and also save room for the massive cache of batteries, so instead built the back section as it is on to a chassis closer to the Model 3, but here with an enormous triangle shape to stiffen the area so the truck wouldn’t twist, flex, or just rip in half under the heavy load of a big tow. 

Edited by iNow

19 minutes ago, iNow said:

Apparently they did this to enable towing without a heavy frame. They needed to remove the massive truck frame to reduce weight and also save room for the massive cache of batteries, so instead built the back section as it is on to a chassis closer to the Model 3, but here with an enormous triangle shape to stiffen the area so the truck wouldn’t twist, flex, or just rip in half under the heavy load of a big tow. 

Good luck fitting a toolbox in the tray though. 

I can see it as a mall crawler/toy hauler, but having just tied down an ls3 in the bed of my Frontier today and hauled straw on the weekend, I can see a lot of things that would have been troublesome with the design of this truck for actual truck use. I applaud them for the ingenuity, but I think it got int he way of practicality. 

3 hours ago, Curious layman said:

Three models have been announced, with range estimates of 250–500 miles (400–800 km) and an estimated 0–60 mph time of 6.5–2.9 seconds, depending on the model.[9]

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/tesla-cybertruck-pickup-truck-pictures-info-details-price-2019-11?r=US&IR=T

The truck is made of a heavy-duty stainless steel and armoured glass and advertises three configurations: single-motor rear-wheel-drive, dual-motor all-wheel-drive, and tri-motor all-wheel-drive.

So the single engine 2WD has a claimed range of 500 miles and the 3 engine AWD has a claimed range of 250 miles.  Would the 3 engine version be the fastest or would the single engine beat it as it has to pull less weight (2 less engines)?

I feel as if it would be much more easier to maintain and manufacture on a large scale. Repair in the sense that you can easily just buy a metal plate from your local hardware store and then just place it over the area that it damaged. Manufacture being that the only really complex parts are the electronics which make it up and the inner seating design. On the outside it seems really easy to just manufacture because of the linear design.

40 minutes ago, LaurieAG said:

So the single engine 2WD has a claimed range of 500 miles and the 3 engine AWD has a claimed range of 250 miles.  Would the 3 engine version be the fastest or would the single engine beat it as it has to pull less weight (2 less engines)?

From wiki :-

Tesla Cybertruck model specifications[9]
Model Range (EPA est.) 0–60 mph (0–97 km/h) Top Speed Payload Towing capacity Price (USD)
Single Motor RWD ≥ 250 miles (400 km) < 6.5 seconds 110 mph (175 km/h) 3,500 lb (1,600 kg) ≥ 7,500 lb (3,400 kg) $39,900
Dual Motor AWD ≥ 300 miles (480 km) < 4.5 seconds 120 mph (195 km/h) 3,500 lb (1,600 kg) ≥ 10,000 lb (4,550 kg) $49,900
Tri Motor AWD ≥ 500 miles (800 km) < 2.9 seconds 130 mph (210 km/h)

Edited by Curious layman

On 11/27/2019 at 3:24 PM, Curious layman said:

From wiki :-

Tesla Cybertruck model specifications[9]
Model Range (EPA est.) 0–60 mph (0–97 km/h) Top Speed Payload Towing capacity Price (USD)
Single Motor RWD ≥ 250 miles (400 km) < 6.5 seconds 110 mph (175 km/h) 3,500 lb (1,600 kg) ≥ 7,500 lb (3,400 kg) $39,900
Dual Motor AWD ≥ 300 miles (480 km) < 4.5 seconds 120 mph (195 km/h) 3,500 lb (1,600 kg) ≥ 10,000 lb (4,550 kg) $49,900
Tri Motor AWD ≥ 500 miles (800 km) < 2.9 seconds 130 mph (210 km/h)

Pity nobody has net weights for the different models as I assumed the range differences would be due to a standard battery pack being used for all engine configurations.

18 minutes ago, LaurieAG said:

Pity nobody has net weights for the different models as I assumed the range differences would be due to a standard battery pack being used for all engine configurations.

Or just the way they’re driven... aggressive versus slow, uphill vs down, etc.

13 hours ago, LaurieAG said:

I find that to be a rather important point. According to some reports the suspected weight of the stainless steel body (and added cost) and the requirement of a rather large battery. Not sure how true that is, but there is at least one article casting doubt of it hitting all the numbers as well as cost.

8 hours ago, CharonY said:

I find that to be a rather important point. According to some reports the suspected weight of the stainless steel body (and added cost) and the requirement of a rather large battery. Not sure how true that is, but there is at least one article casting doubt of it hitting all the numbers as well as cost.

Yes, what they don't say is often more important these days.

There are also concerns for other road users and pedestrians due to its current stiffness and sharp edges..

https://thedriven.io/2019/11/27/tesla-cybertruck-may-be-unsafe-for-other-road-users-says-australian-safety-chief/