Windows 10 resource hogging issue ?

studiot

My Toshiba Satellite laptop, which I principally use for Skype has been misbehaving lately.

After booting its response is glacial.

Responding to a keystroke can take 1/2 minutes.

According to Taskmanager the processor and memory are less than 50% used, but the HD is noted at 100%.
The HD is only about half full with about 150GB left.

If I force it to boot into safemode (with networking) everything is fine an Skype works, but is useless because the camera and sound are deactivated.

The normal mode works once after it has been in safemode, however.

I can't see this being a virus competing for HD resources, just one of the Windows screwups.

Oh and there is no suitable sysrestore available.

Any suggestions where to look for the offending process  welcome ?

Heavy disk usage might be indicator of e.g. ongoing optimization of disk. OS is moving files from one place to another, where they are in continuous area, instead of being split to (hypothetically) hundred or thousands chunks. Reading fragmented file is very time consuming process as header has to jump from one place to another.

Heavy disk usage might be indicator of e.g. indexation of files for faster searching files and directories.

16 minutes ago, studiot said:

Any suggestions where to look for the offending process  welcome ?

If it is not any above, search net for FileMon. It is showing which process is accessing which file in read and/or write mode in the real-time.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/filemon

Later it was replaced by Process Monitor.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/

Edited by Sensei

If you can't sort it quickly you can click on the search button in the taskbar and type 'reset'. You will find two options to reset: keep your files with loss of apps or do a full reset and lose everything.

Have you gone into Resource Monitor and seen which process(es) peak at 100% or near? Click on the 'Details' tab when it's going slow and see which are hogging the disk. If it's a program you use, uninstall it, reboot then reinstall.

Obviously over usage of disk might be also indicator of lack of physical memory to perform some operation and virtual memory and page swapping must occur. It might be result of a bug in program, driver or system to use more memory than needed (memory leak), or result of hacker attack (e.g. DoS, DDoS).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory_leak

2 hours ago, StringJunky said:

If you can't sort it quickly you can click on the search button in the taskbar and type 'reset'. You will find two options to reset: keep your files with loss of apps or do a full reset and lose everything.

Have you gone into Resource Monitor and seen which process(es) peak at 100% or near? Click on the 'Details' tab when it's going slow and see which are hogging the disk. If it's a program you use, uninstall it, reboot then reinstall.

Click on search button : wait 2 mins

Type r : wait 2 mins

type e : wait 2 mins

That is the problem

3 hours ago, iNow said:

Malware?

Yes I have seen this problem with malware in previous versions of Windows, but there are ways to wrest back control of the PC that don't work here.
Added to which if I get it to safemode no malware is found dormant.

So no I don't think in this case it is malware ((though I will do a proper scan when it is working again)

3 hours ago, Sensei said:

Heavy disk usage might be indicator of e.g. ongoing optimization of disk. OS is moving files from one place to another, where they are in continuous area, instead of being split to (hypothetically) hundred or thousands chunks. Reading fragmented file is very time consuming process as header has to jump from one place to another.

Heavy disk usage might be indicator of e.g. indexation of files for faster searching files and directories.

Thanks for this and your other thoughts.
Still investigating.

1 hour ago, MigL said:

Only time I've noticed something similar is shortly after a Windows update.
It seems all other installed utilities set to auto-update, are trying to update their respective installations or virus updates.

It's alway updating these days. Why can't they leave well alone?

I am typing this on my trusty XP desktop they stopped messing with years ago.

So thanks for all the thoughts so far.
I got Skype to work tonight by forcing it to boot into safemode first and then rebooting into full Windows.

What a carry on.

24 minutes ago, studiot said:

That is the problem

Run in safe-mode.

Start regedit in admin mode.

Find:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run Once

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run Once

What do you see? Make screen-shots and attach in reply.

Rename "Run" to "Run2" (this will disable them all at once), and restart.

Did it help?

If yes, one of applications which are started at boot time is responsible for this issue.

Rename "Run2" back to "Run", duplicate/backup keys, and start deleting (or adding from backup) them one by one..

This way you will be able to identify which one app is responsible for this issue.

Or you can follow this instruction (not sure whether it is possible when running in safe-mode)

https://www.howtogeek.com/74523/how-to-disable-startup-programs-in-windows/

Alternatively, when in safe-mode, make second user account. And log to it after restart. Did it help?

What is in

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

is started regardless of which user you log-in at boot.

What is in

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

is started only when you log-in to user account

(so after making 2nd user account, these entries will be not present, so apps won't be started).

Edited by Sensei

43 minutes ago, studiot said:

Click on search button : wait 2 mins

Type r : wait 2 mins

type e : wait 2 mins

That is the problem

You can reset from the boot screen. Restart then wiggle your mouse on the boot screen - first picture - to pause it then press TAB key until you highlight the bottom option "Choose defaults and other options" and press Enter. Follow and the choose highlighted selections in the other images pressing enter each time. You can use the cursor keys to jump boxes in those screens.

The forum s/ware hasn't put the screens in the right order.

First screen:

first screen.jpg

3rd screen:

Third screen.jpg

Fourth screen:

Fourth screen.jpg

Second screen:

2nd screen.jpg

Edited by StringJunky

19 hours ago, Sensei said:

Did it help?

Results.

Did it help no,  not really, perhaps a bit.

There is nothing in either of the runonce keys.

I temporarily removed the current user run keys but the only difference that made was to stop the network services loading (or maybe starting)

But no sign of malware (except that due to MS of course).

local11.jpg.17191108b9b9545c382b3b41e5b900a2.jpgcurrentU11.jpg.6a42810e47bff74f0d73bb7a6f66f8e8.jpglocal21.jpg.6b33593f2ed50efb94c2f4af34eb5103.jpg

23 hours ago, studiot said:

The normal mode works once after it has been in safemode, however.

But it still gives problems once it is back in normal mode?

Have you tried deleting any very large amounts of file you don't need ?(or saving them temporarily somewhere else)

It seems your OS might be misreporting the size  of the contents of your HD.....

Apart of apps started from Run keys at boot, there are services.. But its harder to figure the one troublesome, because there is simply too many of them.

You can see them entering "Component Services", then click on "Services (Local)" branch.

Sort by Startup Type column to see which one have "Automatic", or

sort by Status to see which one are "Started",

then you could turn them off one by one, till there is difference in behavior of the computer.

If you don't want them to start at boot, double click entry and change "Startup type" to Manual or Disabled.

ps. You did not say (forgot?) results from SysInternals..

Edited by Sensei

On 11/16/2019 at 7:00 PM, geordief said:

But it still gives problems once it is back in normal mode?

Have you tried deleting any very large amounts of file you don't need ?(or saving them temporarily somewhere else)

It seems your OS might be misreporting the size  of the contents of your HD.....

Yes that is the only way to get it to work ATM. Had to do it again tonight and haven't had the time to work on it today (or tomorrow).
Last night did this, spent 1/2 hour on Skype no bother.
But had to use the power button to turn the bl___y thing off.
Turned it on for the first time tonight and again killed it after 10+ minutes where it hadn't fully populated the desktop.
So booted to safe mode once then restart to normal mode and Skype etc again OK.
But I expect it to not work the next time I try to boot unless I force safemode first.

As regards the HD File manager reports plenty of space on it as originally noted.

Thanks for your thoughts

28 minutes ago, geordief said:

Do you have defrag on Win10? 

I wonder if that might  be of any use if the size of available HD  is being misreported.

Defrag is a continuous background process in W10 so all you get is a notice saying the disk does not need defframenting.(or so MS says)

I did run checkdisk between one pair of reboots, but it 'found no problems'

I plan to run windows system checker next, but that should take a while.

Edited by studiot

In your shoes I might take it in to  a professional.

Last month I knocked over my tower and the lights went out.

I had to wait over the weekend but it just boiled  down to resticking some part down again (cost 70 €).

Mind you the WiFi is bust   since then but I manage without...

I hope you get the better of it,though. Computers can suck the life from you :)

Update.

sfc reported that the were some corrupt files it could not fix. At least some seem to be to do with windows defender/security and there is some chatter on the web about this.

I am still trying to figure out the important entries in the (long) log file.

Meanwhile I decided to suppress the hibernation file and the pagefile since the HD has been implicated as overloaded
(This is after all an older laptop, originally with W7)

Yes an improvement while I will monitor.
HD usage now tops out at 95% and there is no syrup like wait for a response.

At least I can now stop crashing into safemode from triple boot
Sorry String Junky your method does not work.
Nor does using F8 - the PC is too fast for that I think.

I am posting this history, assuming I am not boring folks.
Please let me know if that is the case.
I have benefited in the past from others who have detailed their experiences and am thinking of forming a

"Let's hang BG club"

Edited by studiot

27 minutes ago, studiot said:

Update.

sfc reported that the were some corrupt files it could not fix. At least some seem to be to do with windows defender/security and there is some chatter on the web about this.

I am still trying to figure out the important entries in the (long) log file.

Meanwhile I decided to suppress the hibernation file and the pagefile since the HD has been implicated as overloaded
(This is after all an older laptop, originally with W7)

Yes an improvement while I will monitor.
HD usage now tops out at 95% and there is no syrup like wait for a response.

At least I can now stop crashing into safemode from triple boot
Sorry String Junky your method does not work.
Nor does using F8 - the PC is too fast for that I think.

I am posting this history, assuming I am not boring folks.
Please let me know if that is the case.
I have benefited in the past from others who have detailed their experiences and am thinking of forming a

"Let's hang BG club"

When your computer is not hanging click Search > Type: advanced options > Click on: 'Change Startup Options' > At the bottom section click 'Restart Now' which will put you in the 'Choose an Option' screen where you click on 'Troubleshoot', as mentioned in my last post, then the 'Reset This PC' Option.

If you look at the 2nd screen image you will see the option to change the boot screen timeout timer if you want for the future. I set mine at 10 seconds.

On 11/19/2019 at 7:18 PM, StringJunky said:

When your computer is not hanging click Search > Type: advanced options > Click on: 'Change Startup Options' > At the bottom section click 'Restart Now' which will put you in the 'Choose an Option' screen where you click on 'Troubleshoot', as mentioned in my last post, then the 'Reset This PC' Option.

If you look at the 2nd screen image you will see the option to change the boot screen timeout timer if you want for the future. I set mine at 10 seconds.

Unfortunately the version of W10 Microsft has benevolently bestowed upon me does not work like yours.
Note I have no login screen.

On 11/15/2019 at 11:06 PM, Sensei said:

Alternatively, when in safe-mode, make second user account. And log to it after restart. Did it help?

Sadly today was wasted trying this otherwise good idea. (not your fault)

The second account was 100 times slower.

Took about 2 hours to fully boot and about 20 minutes to shut down (log off).

I did manage to delete a numebr of unecessary tasks from task scheduler which has helped, but there is still something taking resources in what is laughingly called the background.

59 minutes ago, studiot said:

Unfortunately the version of W10 Microsft has benevolently bestowed upon me does not work like yours.
Note I have no login screen.

Sadly today was wasted trying this otherwise good idea. (not your fault)

The second account was 100 times slower.

Took about 2 hours to fully boot and about 20 minutes to shut down (log off).

I did manage to delete a numebr of unecessary tasks from task scheduler which has helped, but there is still something taking resources in what is laughingly called the background.

Ideas are getting thin on the gound. You could try updating to the latest version of Win 10 - the first option - or failing that get a usb stick and use the media creation tool to put W10 on it  and boot from that. You should get the option to keep your files in both instances. Here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

A long shot but I did read Skype caused this issue for some, so uninstalling it then rebooting and reinstalling it might work.

Edited by StringJunky

2 hours ago, studiot said:

Years ago, on Windows XP, I had such issue: when you went to some specific folder in explorer, 100% of CPU and/or 100% of disk were used, blocking computer completely to unbearable level. Shutting down explorer.exe in Task Manager helped in this situation (or restarting and omitting said folder). I usually used reset button (quicker than waiting ages to open Task Manager). There was nothing fancy in that folder, just avi or mpeg movie. It was impossible to delete said file. Going to said folder using cmd.exe, cd or dir commands didn't cause any issues, it only happened from explorer.exe. del.exe from command-line refused to delete said file. It was possible to open and view file in media player.

Edited by Sensei