Religious and Political correctness triumph over science

MigL

Apparently while we were sleeping, Ohio has passed a bill that students can't be penalized for mathematically or scientifically incorrect answers for reasons based on their beliefs. ( my religion teaches the Trinity; three goes into one evenly !!! )

https://local12.com/news/local/ohio-house-passes-bill-allowing-student-answers-to-be-scientifically-wrong-due-to-religion

Can't offend their vulnerable sensitivities with facts and evidence now, can we ?

When you combine this with right-wing hate groups, anti-vaxxers, and your politics, the once great America is spiralling the toilet bowl.
Please come back to sanity; the world needs you

From what I've seen lawyers saying, that's not what the bill says. Specifically, the relevant portion of the bill says:

Assignment grades and scores shall be calculated using ordinary academic standards of substance and relevance, including any legitimate pedagogical concerns, and shall not penalize or reward a student based on the religious content of a student's work.

It says they can't be penalized based on religious content. Not that they can't be penalized for getting the question wrong, or for not answering the question in the relevant way. 

2 hours ago, MigL said:

Apparently while we were sleeping, Ohio has passed a bill that students can't be penalized for mathematically or scientifically incorrect answers for reasons based on their beliefs. ( my religion teaches the Trinity; three goes into one evenly !!! )

https://local12.com/news/local/ohio-house-passes-bill-allowing-student-answers-to-be-scientifically-wrong-due-to-religion

Can't offend their vulnerable sensitivities with facts and evidence now, can we ?

When you combine this with right-wing hate groups, anti-vaxxers, and your politics, the once great America is spiralling the toilet bowl.
Please come back to sanity; the world needs you

Read the bill yourself before making statements for what you believe it is.

This is modifying an existing code, so simply look for underlined and crossed out sections to see what's changed if you'd like to read it quickly.

The section the article is talking about: 

No school district board of education .... shall prohibit a student from engaging in religious expression in the completion of homework, artwork, or other written or oral assignments. Assignment grades and scores shall be calculated using ordinary academic standards of substance and relevance,including any legitimate pedagogical concerns, and shall not penalize or reward a student based on the religious content of a student's work.

It is a stretch to say this is allowing religious and political correctness to triumph over science, if not outright misleading.

It does however state, that you cannot reward, nor penalize students, based simply on whether or not their answers contain religious content.

I.E. if a religious student writes an essay, and he/she mentions their god in it, they don't automatically fail that assignment because the school board is anti-muslim/anti-christian/anti-whatever

I do not believe in penalizing students for their religion, even if I don't believe in theirs. I don't think you believe that either.

Additionally, I don't think students should be prohibited from wearing religious items to school. A Christian student wearing a shirt that says "God's not dead" should not be expelled from school. Likewise, a Muslim student wearing a hijab should not be expelled from school. That is wrong. That's another thing prohibited by this bill, and I doubt you stand against that as well.

On top of that, I really do not believe a school should be allowed to penalize students for religious activities before or after school hours. What authority does a school have to say I get written up because I posted christian content on social media? Where is religious freedom in that? This bill prohibits that too, because school boards in Ohio actively practice that. (Even though they already always get overturned, the way laws and courts work, it's easier to point out that it directly violates this section of the law, as opposed to making a constitutional argument. I.E. faster legal processing for the state.)

It's an interesting idea.

Imagine that some state decided that you could get the "right" answer by saying " my religion tells me so".

Imagine the pupils  studying and passing exams under those conditions.

And then imagine them looking for work.

Employer " I see you sat your exams in such and such a state"

Candidate "Yes, that's right"

Employer- "That's the state where you can pass exams by getting the wrong answer, isn't it?

Candidate "Yes, that's right"

Employer " Next candidate please".

Now, I think that most students would recognise this problem quite quickly and would actually object to any such absurd legislation.

23 hours ago, uncool said:

It says they can't be penalized based on religious content. Not that they can't be penalized for getting the question wrong, or for not answering the question in the relevant way. 

Thank God that's all it is. Um, I mean, thank goodness.