Impeachment Hearings

MigL

31 minutes ago, StringJunky said:

Do you think it's perhaps better if the American public pass their own judgement in November?

A lot of people view this as a "one or the other" situation. Personally I do not. The impeachment process was developed for exactly the kind of behavior Trump has exhibited. IMO it would have been of dereliction of responsibility to simply 'pass the buck' to the voters.

The reason I say it is not a "one or the other" situation is because we can have an impeachment AND let the voters voice their opinion in November, either for/against Trump or for/against the Republican party.

I was never under any illusion that Trump would be removed from office, and I understand there was risk to the Democratic party in voting for impeachment. I'm still very happy they did their duty, and let the chips fall where they may.

1 hour ago, StringJunky said:

Do you think it's perhaps better if the American public pass their own judgement in November?

There’s 2 people playing monopoly. One of them is stealing money from the bank. They got caught. It’s unreasonable to suggest we decide who wins by letting them continue stealing throughout the rest of the game.  

That said, we’re going to be massively divided whether or not there’s a removal from office or vote. 

It’s entirely possible removing him would help bring us more together. Who knows? Your crystal ball is as good as mine. 

1 hour ago, iNow said:

The vote to allow witnesses and testimony was defeated 51 to 49.

Romney and Collins were the only two Republicans to vote yes. No Democrats defected. 

+1 INow. You called it. I thought the Bolton news would compel the Senate to call witnesses.

I hope all you Americans remember all the Republican Senators who chose to kiss a*s instead of doing the right thing.
Amazing that only two of them had any backbone.

Hopefully when Bolton's book comes out the voters will see how much the Rep Senators chose to cover up.

12 minutes ago, MigL said:

I hope all you Americans remember all the Republican Senators who chose to kiss a*s instead of doing the right thing.
Amazing that only two of them had any backbone.

Hopefully when Bolton's book comes out the voters will see how much the Rep Senators chose to cover up.

That is the risk those Rep Senators take. Ultimately nothing has changed as it will still be up to the voters...as it should be. (it would have taken some extreme revelation to change that)

Any potential political damage to Trump from Bolton, or others, may be somewhat reduced now and going forward...but moves closer to the election. Seems like a defeat for Democrats but this could end up going either way.

4 hours ago, J.C.MacSwell said:

That is the risk those Rep Senators take. Ultimately nothing has changed as it will still be up to the voters...as it should be. (it would have taken some extreme revelation to change that)

I think the opposite is true, though. Defying Trump is the politically risky step.

Seems that those Republican Senators may have no backbone, but they can sure be mean and vindictive.
M Romney is already being 'punished' for voting according to conscience.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/01/31/romney-cpac-impeachment-110143

I guess the rest of the Senators prefer NOT to have any information ( witness testimony ) when making a decision.

8 minutes ago, MigL said:

Seems that those Republican Senators may have no backbone, but they can sure be mean and vindictive.

I guess the rest of the Senators prefer NOT to have any information ( witness testimony ) when making a decision.

or they have all information they need...

On 2/1/2020 at 12:48 AM, MigL said:

In some cases, that will require someone to read the book to them- preferably on faux news.

Not much of a risk.

Essentially, the Republicans have taken the stance that they are dishonest, but nobody cares.

It's working just fine so far.

22 minutes ago, John Cuthber said:

Essentially, the Republicans have taken the stance that they are dishonest, but nobody cares.

It's working just fine so far.

This was a huge revelation for me. I had no idea my fellow Americans were so shallow. (Or is it dumb? Self centered? Base?) Whatever, it really is kind of depressing. Just reinforces my belief that the percentage of quality people in the world is much less than half.

1 hour ago, MigL said:

CPAC2020 isn't until the end of the month. I thought Romney's head would already be on a pike by then...

59 minutes ago, Luke Barber said:

I'd bet that Romney is still safe since he's from UT.

UT is one of the most red states with +20 republican advantage.

Irrelevant. Being in a red state won’t help you if the challenge being faced is within the GOP Primary.

Edited by iNow

9 minutes ago, rangerx said:

Mitt Romney just gave notice he will vote to convict Trump.

His speech was articulate and from an honest place, as an American not a Republican first.

He'll be the only one, I presume, but will at least ensure this cannot be described as a purely partisan action. Good on him.

1 hour ago, zapatos said:

As I'm not a US Senator I don't really feel I should take the hit for this one.

Rightly so, but I hope you're okay with the new drum set your neighbor bought.

I suppose you could just buy earplugs and let everyone else face music.

2 minutes ago, rangerx said:

Rightly so, but I hope you're okay with the new drum set your neighbor bought.

I suppose you could just buy earplugs and let everyone else face music.

It must be getting late. I don't know what you are trying to say.

21 minutes ago, zapatos said:

It must be getting late. I don't know what you are trying to say.

The bed - sleep analogy.

Despite noise laws on the books, your country has allowed drummers to bang away all night. Now, the only alternative available to you is earplugs.

You've clearly absolved yourself from any part of that, after all you're not a senator, right.

Edited by rangerx