1100dB = supermassive blackhole?

Curious layman

Just read this on quora, Can someone tell me if it's true, seems abit far fetched to me. Is 1100 dB really that loud?

A sound of 1100 dB would have so much energy that it would create a supermassive black hole that would destroy the currently observable universe

The answer is unfeasibly loud, and no, it can’t create a black hole that big. At 1100 db it creates a 5 kg black hole with the same volume as a neutron. First, this is not meant seriously. It's just physicists having fun with maths.

Ok, found this on the same site.

But can sound really create a black hole? Or is it just 'in theory' , i.e. On paper yes, but not in real life.

Edited by Curious layman

Found this, apparently google is my friend too :)

First of a sound of that magnitude would require 1098 watts/meter2 . That is an absolutely insane amount of power, far in excess of what we can produce, and is many of orders of magnitude greater than what a supernova creates. So we don’t have to worry about it actually happening. But, now, how would that create a black hole. By E=mc2. Put enough energy into a small enough area and it would be the equivalent of putting mass in that area, causing immense gravity. With energy as great as 1100 dB, it would create enough gravity to cause a black hole to form, and an incredibly large one at that.

More at link if your interested...

https://www.youredm.com/2015/10/13/a-sound-of-1100-decibels-would-create-a-black-hole-larger-than-the-universe/

9 hours ago, Curious layman said:

Is 1100 dB really that loud?

Let's give it a try. dB is a logarithmic scale:  every doubling of power means 3dB higher. let's take 101 dB as starting point. Just to give you an impression:

image.png.7ff8e915959fba6118166c51379d1f66.png

So we have 999dB more. that is 333 steps of doubling. so 2333 is (100.30103)333 is about 10100.  So about 10100 times more power in the sound then an impact wrench. That is pretty much, yes. (I hope I did not make a logical error here; it is a long, long time ago that I had to do with decibels and logarithms...).

Edited by Eise