How to handle equipment moving as professor/advisor?

random_soldier1337

So our group advisor had to move our equipment from one lab to another since the department was moving to another building. Our advisor and us pitched in using uhaul to bring it where it was needed.

I MAY choose academia in the future and personally, I would not want my students to have to handle the move themselves. Is there any alternative way to handle it? Is there a good reason to do it the way formerly described, anyway?

Also depends on the type and bulk of equipment. But anything larger is generally handled by facility management or insured contractors. Stuff other than say glassware or other easy to carry things are usually too valuable to let students handle it.

The alternatives cost additional money, unlike student labor, which is essentially free of additional obligation. I've helped move optical tables and other equipment. It did not seem to be an unusual request.

Same thing now, in a government lab. We move equipment (locally) all the time. Contracting it out is a tedious process, and we usually want it done now, rather than after three weeks of paperwork. And there's a lot of stuff we wouldn't want to trust to outside people (such as the four atomic fountain clocks we moved from our lab to another building) since they would be nowhere near as paranoid about damaging something.

Well depends i guess. For moving once properly packed and if it is no too sensitive I'd do the same. But either I pack it up or hire a technician from the company of more expensive instruments. But for home made stuff we'd do it our own, too.

It's 'character building' 

Isn't this how everybody does it? This is how we move stuff in all the places I've worked. They'll generally get the staff to move as much as possible. I know were being paid, but the principle's still the same, it's cheaper, and we also know what everything is and what needs to be kept together, stuff like that. No-one likes doing it, but it makes sense.