Split from Sports Talk

mistermack

The sport that mystifies me is women's football. (soccer)

They constantly complain that the men's game gets ludicrous amounts of money ( it does ) and that they should get more because of equality. But Pro sport is all about gate and promotion receipts, and women footballers just don't attract it, in spite of being hugely promoted by the tv companies. 

For me, there's no mystery. Women footballers dress like men on the pitch. Huge passion-killer shorts and tops that do not flatter. Women are not particularly keen on paying silly prices to watch a sports game, whereas men do. So if they want big money, they need to dress to impress men. 

Female tennis players have more choice in what the wear, and they don't choose to look like men on court. And women's tennis does get people watching. Soccer women could easily do the same.

Female hockey players (field hockey) dress like women, and look great. I really don't get it why footballers don't do likewise.

3 hours ago, mistermack said:

For me, there's no mystery. Women footballers dress like men on the pitch. Huge passion-killer shorts and tops that do not flatter. Women are not particularly keen on paying silly prices to watch a sports game, whereas men do. So if they want big money, they need to dress to impress men. 

Female tennis players have more choice in what the wear, and they don't choose to look like men on court. And women's tennis does get people watching. Soccer women could easily do the same.

Female hockey players (field hockey) dress like women, and look great. I really don't get it why footballers don't do likewise.

Un-fucking-believable. I was going to ask what decade you rolled out of but perhaps I should ask what century.

1 hour ago, Phi for All said:

You say that like there's no skill involved. Most of the pros have very few teeth left.

:D

5 hours ago, mistermack said:

They constantly complain that the men's game gets ludicrous amounts of money ( it does ) and that they should get more because of equality. But Pro sport is all about gate and promotion receipts, and women footballers just don't attract it, in spite of being hugely promoted by the tv companies. 

Fail. This is not the era of the "tottie".

55 minutes ago, StringJunky said:

Fail. This is not the era of the "tottie".

It's not the era of crowds at women's football matches either. You can't force people to pay to watch football. You have to "attract" a crowd. And what they are doing now is definitely not working. Do you think women are acting like tottie, when they choose to dress differently to men? It's a pretty widespread free choice that women make, all over the world. 

I don't know why women footballers, out of all sports, try to dress like the men. Maybe they are working on the flawed logic that crowds won't turn out to watch women, so they should try to look more like men. I'm just saying that I think they have it completely the wrong way round. 

28 minutes ago, mistermack said:

It's not the era of crowds at women's football matches either. You can't force people to pay to watch football. You have to "attract" a crowd. And what they are doing now is definitely not working. Do you think women are acting like tottie, when they choose to dress differently to men? It's a pretty widespread free choice that women make, all over the world. 

I don't know why women footballers, out of all sports, try to dress like the men. Maybe they are working on the flawed logic that crowds won't turn out to watch women, so they should try to look more like men. I'm just saying that I think they have it completely the wrong way round. 

Your comments are misoginistic and indefensible. Please stop trying to defend them. You are only making yourself look worse.

12 hours ago, mistermack said:

download.jpg

9 hours ago, zapatos said:

Your comments are misoginistic and indefensible. Please stop trying to defend them. You are only making yourself look worse.

I don't think he's being a mysoginist; he's sexualising them in an  inappropriate situation.

Edited by StringJunky

37 minutes ago, StringJunky said:

I don't think he's being a mysoginist; he's sexualising them in an  inappropriate situation.

What you ignore, is that the vast majority of women on the planet sexualise themselves by choice, when they put on women's clothes, and apply women's makeup, and get their hair styled in a clearly female way. Women soccer players are way out on the limb of exceptions, I'm the one who's just suggesting that they dress in a way that's more like what the other three billion females do. 

IF,  that is, they want to play in front of a reasonable crowd. I don't personally care what they wear, I don't particularly like the gear that women's beach volleyball players wear. I'm not suggesting going to those lengths. Just normal female kit, not the male replica stuff. 

Some things just don't look right :  images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQeTAl3Krv2UElBVhT2XSA images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQFuP3v0Au9h9t8lCEO5Jh   

When I tried to watch some of the women's world cup matches, the first and overall impression was how bad they were. They looked chubby, slow and not very good. It was only after a while that I realised that I was subconsciously judging it like a men's game, and the reason was, that from a distance, that's what they look like. 

It's only football that comes across like that. I don't watch women's tennis, and think how bad they are. It's visually obvious that it's women playing women, and you are conscious of that straight away so you take it for what it actually is, two top players trying to win a match.

20 minutes ago, mistermack said:

What you ignore, is that the vast majority of women on the planet sexualise themselves by choice, when they put on women's clothes, and apply women's makeup, and get their hair styled in a clearly female way. Women soccer players are way out on the limb of exceptions, I'm the one who's just suggesting that they dress in a way that's more like what the other three billion females do. 

IF,  that is, they want to play in front of a reasonable crowd. I don't personally care what they wear, I don't particularly like the gear that women's beach volleyball players wear. I'm not suggesting going to those lengths. Just normal female kit, not the male replica stuff. 

Some things just don't look right :  images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQeTAl3Krv2UElBVhT2XSA images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQFuP3v0Au9h9t8lCEO5Jh   

When I tried to watch some of the women's world cup matches, the first and overall impression was how bad they were. They looked chubby, slow and not very good. It was only after a while that I realised that I was subconsciously judging it like a men's game, and the reason was, that from a distance, that's what they look like. 

It's only football that comes across like that. I don't watch women's tennis, and think how bad they are. It's visually obvious that it's women playing women, and you are conscious of that straight away so you take it for what it actually is, two top players trying to win a match.

In sports clothes, form (mostly) follows function. Football gear is designed for the rigours of the game. You don't see much variation in the men's gear and its not just tradition. There is likely less lattitude in what people can wear under those circumstances. You are just not used to seeing women playing football.

54 minutes ago, mistermack said:

It's only football that comes across like that. I don't watch women's tennis, and think how bad they are.

Underlying your points here is the suggestion that they're bad because they're female. Now, perhaps that's not what you mean to convey, but if so then you really need to be cautious how you say things. You're comments are akin to suggesting all black people are good at basketball or bad at math. It's ignorant in the extreme.

Just like anything else in life, there are individual differences. If someone is less good, look at them as a human. Full stop. They are not objects for you to sexualize and demean merely because they have XX chromosomes instead of XY chromosomes.

how_it_works.png

9 minutes ago, iNow said:

Underlying your points here is the suggestion that they're bad because they're female.

Yeh yeh yeh, the old tactic of "change what he said, and then disagree with your own version of it".  

I'm talking about first impressions, and the reason why they don't get spectators. I'm speculating as to why that is. Maybe you have some golden insights to offer on that score, instead of putting your words in my mouth. 

48 minutes ago, StringJunky said:

In sports clothes, form (mostly) follows function. Football gear is designed for the rigours of the game. You don't see much variation in the men's gear and its not just tradition. There is likely less lattitude in what people can wear under those circumstances. You are just not used to seeing women playing football.

Do you think someone should tell these people ?  

members-of-the-australia-womens-field-ho

33 minutes ago, mistermack said:

Yeh yeh yeh, the old tactic of "change what he said, and then disagree with your own version of it".  

I'm talking about first impressions, and the reason why they don't get spectators. I'm speculating as to why that is. Maybe you have some golden insights to offer on that score, instead of putting your words in my mouth. 

Are you suggesting womens hockey gets more spectators than womens soccer?

31 minutes ago, mistermack said:

There is greater lattitude in hockey. So, you want to see female fottballers skirts riding up around their waists when they go for a sliding tackle, not to mention friction injuries? Do you want a spade? The simple answer is that people aren't exposed to or used to female footballers... might take a generation or so.

1 hour ago, iNow said:

They are not objects for you to sexualize

I would have to differ INow.
Sexualization occurs in your own mind.
There is no 'action' involved; that would be what you probably mean, and of course treating/acting that way is wrong

But telling someone what they can and cannot THINK ( even about someone else ) is dangerous.

1 hour ago, mistermack said:

I'm talking about first impressions, and the reason why they don't get spectators.

Well, at least you're consistent in your wrongness. Apparently you're not only misguided and displaying signs of misogyny, but you're badly misinformed, too.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/07/10/us-viewership-of-the-womens-world-cup-final-was-higher-than-the-mens.html

US viewership of the 2019 Women’s World Cup final was 22% higher than the 2018 men’s final

<...

approximately 14.3 million U.S. viewers tuned in to the final match on television, compared to 11.4 million for the 2018 Men’s World Cup Final, a 22% U.S. viewership boost.

Fox Sports’ statement reports that total viewership, including online streaming, peaked at roughly 20 million, making it the most-watched soccer match on English-language television, men’s or women’s, in the U.S. since the 2015 FIFA Women’s World Cup final, which delivered 25.4 million viewers.

According to CNN, an additional 1.6 million viewers watched the final match in Spanish on Telemundo.

27 minutes ago, MigL said:

I would have to differ INow.
Sexualization occurs in your own mind.

What you do in your own mind is not relevant to my comment. These are people and humans, not objects. I also appreciate the beauty of the female form, but I'm not such an asshole that I'm going to say their entire participation in an entire sport sucks because they don't show enough skin.

Anyway... mistermack is just trolling... again, because we're now talking about his ignorant comment instead of the actual thread topic... again. Someone clearly didn't get enough love and attention from mommy

Firstly, like most Americans, you seem to think the USA is pretty much all there is. There is actually a bit more of the world out there, if you care to look. 

Yes, in the USA, there is something of an appetite for women's soccer. But the US is unique in that regard. And the only reason it has such high viewing figures is because the USA is far and away the most dominant country in women's soccer. In other words, they start every world cup as favourite to win it. Of course, the USA will get people viewing the final, when their side are in the final, and favourites to win it. But I'm sure that you know that. You don't seem to care about presenting the true picture at all. 

Edited by mistermack

16 minutes ago, mistermack said:

Firstly, like most Americans, you seem to think the USA is pretty much all there is. There is actually a bit more of the world out there, if you care to look. 

Yes, in the USA, there is something of an appetite for women's soccer. But the US is unique in that regard. And the only reason it has such high viewing figures is because the USA is far and away the most dominant country in women's soccer. In other words, they start every world cup as favourite to win it. Of course, the USA will get people viewing the final, when their side are in it, and favourites to win it. But I'm sure that you know that. You don't seem to care about presenting the true picture at all. 

Goalkeepers get sent off if they move the goal rather than fielding the ball. 

3 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

Goalkeepers get sent off if they move the goal rather than fielding the ball. 

They do in soccer. That's very true. 😊

2 hours ago, iNow said:

Someone clearly didn't get enough love and attention from mommy

I did from your mom though. 

We all did !     😋

I don't think Mistermack got that, Dim.

Come on guys, you wanna bash girlfriends, that's allowed.
But mothers, daughters and sisters are off limits.

( although this locker room talk may seems appropriate in this particular thread about sports )

Edited by MigL

2 hours ago, mistermack said:

Yes, in the USA, there is something of an appetite for women's soccer. But the US is unique in that regard

Nope. Still wrong. Again, at least you’re consistent, but merely repeating a wrong claim doesn’t magically make it true. 

https://www.fifa.com/womensworldcup/news/fifa-women-s-world-cup-2019tm-watched-by-more-than-1-billion

A combined 1.12 billion viewers tuned into official broadcast coverage of the FIFA Women’s World Cup 2019 across all platforms – a record audience for the competition. Linear TV accounted for the majority of the global audience, with 993.5 million viewers watching at least one minute of coverage on a TV set at home, an increase of 30% on the audience for the 2015 edition held in Canada, which reached 764.0 million.

An estimated 481.5 million people accessed coverage of France 2019 on digital platforms, equivalent to 43 per cent of the total audience reach. The digital audience, which overlaps with the linear TV audience, was up considerably on the estimated 86.0 million in 2015.

<...>
Over the 52 matches played in nine host cities across France and broadcast in 205 territories around the world, the average live match audience was 17.27 million viewers – more than double the 8.39 million average of Canada 2015.

2 hours ago, mistermack said:

They do in soccer. That's very true. 😊

I did from your mom though. 

We all did !     😋

!

Moderator Note

This thread is going downhill fast. There is no need for this sort of thing. (Yes, yes. I know all about "yer mom" jokes. It is still inappropriate.)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.