Sports Talk

Airbrush

Recently Trump attended a Mixed Martial Arts fight.  He got mostly cheers but a minority booed.

"Flanked by key Republican lawmakers and his sons, Eric and Don Jr., Trump stood up and waved from his seat just feet from the octagon, drawing cheers from the 20,000-strong crowd."

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/11/03/trump-attends-mixed-martial-arts-fight-in-new-york.html

This sport (like boxing or pro wrestling) is for people who love to see pain inflicted on someone.  It doesn't matter who suffers, just so suffering happens for their pleasure.  Trump is most happy when someone is being punished.  And what is his sport of participation?  GOLF, which is as much exercise as playing a video game, what a coward.

Edited by Airbrush

Trump is just electioneering. It tells you nothing about what he likes. 

And golf in the US is a bit elitist. Back in the fifties, Obama and Tiger Woods wouldn't have been allowed to join the best clubs. That's what Trump likes about it, the snobbiness. In my opinion. 

It's a five mile walk though, unless you pay for a golf cart, so it is exercise. I would make it a rule that you have to show a doctor's cert. to use a cart.

LIKE:  water skiing, snow skiing, snow boarding, kite boarding, canoeing, white-water rafting, big-wave surfing (these are all things I have never done, nor will I ever do, but they look cool!!)

DISLIKE:  horse racing, dog fighting, cock fighting

DON'T CARE:  mountain climbing (especially Everest!)

Edited by Airbrush

Never much liked organized sports.
Probably because I was a scrawny teenager ( till I got my 1st gym membership in 1976 ), and would always get picked last for teams.
And since my late 30s, I lack binocular vision so I have really bad depth perception ( can't catch a ball, or follow a golf ball in flight ); haven't used my golf clubs in about 10 yrs.

I do watch soccer ( football ), mostly Premier League and North American MLS ( go TFC ! ) even though I'm of Italian descent ( Serie A is corrupt and can be boring ),

On 11/1/2019 at 1:58 PM, StringJunky said:

...As much as I like fish generally and care about them and their environment, they are not sentient creatures....

You mean fish are not very intelligent.  They don't scream in pain.  I question your use of the word "sentient."  You cannot say that fish are not sentient creatures.  Here are a number of definitions of sentient I found in 3 different dictionaries:

SENTIENT:

1  responsive to or conscious of sense impressions - fish do this

2  aware - fish are aware

3  finely sensitive in perception or feeling - we don't know how finely sensitive fish perceive, but they generally have good eyesight

"...Most fish possess highly developed sense organs. Nearly all daylight fish have color vision that is at least as good as a human's (see vision in fishes). Many fish also have chemoreceptors that are responsible for extraordinary senses of taste and smell."

https://www.bing.com/search?q=eye+sight+in+fish&form=EDNTHT&mkt=en-us&httpsmsn=1&msnews=1&rec_search=1&plvar=0&refig=ec317fccee804ea8acf42c064026a1dc&sp=-1&pq=eye+sight+in+fish&sc=1-17&qs=n&sk=&cvid=ec317fccee804ea8acf42c064026a1dc

4  able to perceive or feel things - fish do

5  having a faculty of sensation and perception - fish do

6  one who has the faculty of perception - fish do

On 11/3/2019 at 11:40 AM, mistermack said:

...It's a five mile walk though, unless you pay for a golf cart, so it is exercise. I would make it a rule that you have to show a doctor's cert. to use a cart.

I was referring to Trump and many golfers, who drive golf carts.  Not much exercise involved.  Good for you that you walk!

"...After college, after Trump mostly gave up his personal athletic interests, he came to view time spent playing sports as time wasted. Trump believed the human body was like a battery, with a finite amount of energy, which exercise only depleted. So he didn't work out."

https://www.cnn.com/2017/05/15/politics/donald-trump-exercise/index.html 

Edited by Airbrush