ISIS leader al-Baghdadi killed

MigL

1 hour ago, Curious layman said:

Nope. I put this war on terror and all the stuff connected to it on those two. Not all but the biggest culprits are these two.

So it was Obama then, nothing to do with Isis, Russia, UK, Al Qaeda, as well as several other terror groups and probably more. It was just Obama, of course it was.

There's a twelve year gap from George W to the "Arab Spring" in 2011.  Obama came in in January 2009. 

I'm afraid his prints are all over it. And there's no mystery why. Anything the US does in the middle east is either for oil money or to bolster the interests of Israel. It's the tail that wags the dog. 

Edited by mistermack

I'm not saying that Obama knew the future, when they were urging on the Arab Spring movement. His team might have imagined a glowing Middle East, full of democracy and progress. If they did think that, they failed dismally, and couldn't have got it more wrong. 

The more cynical side of me thinks that they reasoned that anything that destabilised the existing powers is good for Israel. Especially Assad in Syria. While Syria is being destroyed in a vicious civil war, it's less of a threat to the interests of Israel. So it's actually been a good war for the States, despite all of the public wringing of hands. 

Edit correction: Not a twelve year gap, I don't know where I got that idea from. But Obama had been in power 2 years, when the Arab Spring kicked off .

Edited by mistermack

23 hours ago, Curious layman said:

They could of been https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stun_grenade, special forces generally use these in operations like this to disoriente the enemy, or a similar type of non lethal weapon.

I can't see the US using an airstrike in this situation, it would be far too dangerous, like the video shows, they would of wiped them out.

Maybe you are correct.  But it doesn't make much sense to explode stun grenades all around your squad, including next to your dog.  It does not look like breaching charges, or exploding locked doors.  Why would you set off half a dozen breaching charges all around your squad at once?  They did ONE breach at a time, methodically, in the Bin Laden raid.

The explosions show massive debris (shrapnel?) flying away from the center of each blast through great force, much greater than a stun grenade.  The optical illusion is that the squad was destroyed by a cluster bomb.  Just an illusion right?  The video makes no sense to me at all.:confused:

Edited by Airbrush

Mistermack, Obama advised Egypt's democratically elected Mohammed Morsi that he could appease the rogue military with political concessions.  Morsi followed suite, making concessions, and the coup proceeded anyway.  Similar revolutions are underway in Sudan (thank god!), Algeria, and Iraq and Lebanon.

This thread is direly lacking in historical context.  The Wahhabist-Salafist ideology of ISIS originated from the ultraconservative Wahhabism that legitimized the House of Saud in the 1700's.  In WW1, The House of Saud ultimately gained control of Mecca and Medina, the required pilgrimage sites for all muslims, and the Jordanian dynasty was pushed northward.  In 1975, the reformer King Faisal was assassinated.  Fast forward.  Saudis comprised the majority of the 9-11 hijackers, and the official religion of Saudi Arabia, Wahhabism, is linked to the religious ideas of ISIS.  Fast forward again.  Egypt, Israel, and Saudi Arabia (and Donald Trump) are ultraconservative allies (or ultra-militarized in Egypt's case), and they're arming Khalifa Haftar in Libya and loosely connected jihadi groups in bombed-to-hell Yemen. 

I would explore the complexities of killing an idea if that were a steadfast commitment.  Ironically, Yemen was more populace and its port city of Aden facilitated British-Arabic cultural exchange, but the Saudis struck oil.  Coincidentally, ultraconservative Wahhabists have the economic means to spread and enforce their ultraconservative version of Islam.  Who wants to buy that hybrid car and let the muslims work this out?  Those Lebanese protesters are ruthless!!!