Chemical waste testing

wty

Hi

Recently my company has wanted to conduct waste testing to determine the composition of the wastes in concentration or wt%. This testing will help us to determine whether there are any excess chemicals in the feed of the process, which in turn can also be used to identify the effective composition of chemicals in the feed needed to produce the least waste or zero waste. However, we can't provide any testing parameter to the laboratory because we don't know what will present in the waste and too little information is given for the feed of the process. Besides, by referring to the material safety data sheet (MSDS) and certificate of analysis (COA) of each chemical used in the feed of the process, we can only know one to two active components of each chemical used in the process due to the confidential policy of the manufacturers. Thus, due to all these constraints, may I know if it is possible to conduct this kind of testing with the current technology available in the lab testing? If not, could someone please give me some suggestions to solve this problem? Thank you.

• 9 months later...
On 10/22/2019 at 11:48 PM, wty said:

Hi

Recently my company has wanted to conduct waste testing to determine the composition of the wastes in concentration or wt%. This testing will help us to determine whether there are any excess chemicals in the feed of the process, which in turn can also be used to identify the effective composition of chemicals in the feed needed to produce the least waste or zero waste. However, we can't provide any testing parameter to the laboratory because we don't know what will present in the waste and too little information is given for the feed of the process. Besides, by referring to the material safety data sheet (MSDS) and certificate of analysis (COA) of each chemical used in the feed of the process, we can only know one to two active components of each chemical used in the process due to the confidential policy of the manufacturers. Thus, due to all these constraints, may I know if it is possible to conduct this kind of testing with the current technology available in the lab testing? If not, could someone please give me some suggestions to solve this problem? Thank you.

I hope that you are aware that many if not all chemicals change during processing and that harmless chemicals can become very dangerous even when properly handled.

So the real answer here is that you should not be handling anything that you are clueless about

Should you?

On 7/26/2020 at 11:09 PM, zapatos said:

How very paternalistic of you.

If you do not know what the waste is then someone who knows should be called.  Unknown waste should not be handled as it can not be handled properly

3 hours ago, Drakes said:

If you do not know what the waste is then someone who knows should be called.  Unknown waste should not be handled as it can not be handled properly

Rumor has it that you should also avoid consuming or bathing in unknown chemical waste.