Sorry about the downtime -- we're back!

Cap'n Refsmmat

Unfortunately our domain name registration happened to expire on Wednesday, causing us to go down for about a day until the, uh, responsible party could be hunted down politely asked to renew the domain. We should be back now, though you may find it takes a few hours before different ISPs catch up and start letting you access the site. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Apologies from myself also - we will try to put in place some measures to ensure this doesn't recur. None of your posts, threads, etc will have been lost in this process. Thanks for your patience and look forward to once more hosting your discussions!

• Dave featured and unfeatured this topic

56 minutes ago, Cap'n Refsmmat said:

responsible party could be hunted down politely asked to renew the domain.

I have some experience from similar situations. Nice to see you fixed the issues rather promptly!

Anyway, I didn't know how much I appreciate the site (and it's members) until scienceforums.net suddenly was offline.

58 minutes ago, Ghideon said:

I have some experience from similar situations. Nice to see you fixed the issues rather promptly!

Anyway, I didn't know how much I appreciate the site (and it's members) until scienceforums.net suddenly was offline.

Same thought exactly.   I went to go write a post and was immediately confused and saddened by the apparent loss of the community.

3 hours ago, Cap'n Refsmmat said:

Unfortunately our domain name registration happened to expire on Wednesday,

I came to that conclusion about 2 pm today when poking around whois, looking for any info on the outage.

Suprisingly the registration end date is public domain.

The alleged server host (UK servers.com)  were rude and unhelpful when I phoned them to ask if they knew when you ywould be back up.

So all in all I am glad to see you back.

So let's party.

beerchug.gif.0055f395024abe65cca459fc83238758.gif

3 hours ago, Cap'n Refsmmat said:

Unfortunately our domain name registration happened to expire on Wednesday, causing us to go down for about a day until the, uh, responsible party could be hunted down politely asked to renew the domain. We should be back now, though you may find it takes a few hours before different ISPs catch up and start letting you access the site. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Fake news! It was a perfect renewal! Absolutely perfect.

3 hours ago, Phi for All said:

Something low-tech, like a calendar for blike's golf cart? 

In a world where even my fridge can give me reminders, I still managed to forget. Luckily Capn was able to social engineer his way through my answering service who sent a page out to me stating "CAPN REFSMMAT -  RE: WEBSITE". They even listed a hospital he was calling from 😂. I wasn't on call today so when I heard my answering service text me I about lost my mind until I saw who it was.

23 minutes ago, nevim said:

... some banned loser had hacked it.

I try to avoid magical thinking, but a certain, um, speculators recent ranting threats had me wondering.

Edited by pzkpfw

It was all really kinda worth it since it led to a few posts here from Dave, Blike, and Cap’n. It’s feels a bit like encountering some old friends who have been incommunicado... hiking, isolated in the woods, and living alone on a mountain surviving on squirrels and rain water for the last several years. 

5 hours ago, blike said:

Luckily Capn was able to social engineer his way through my answering service who sent a page out to me stating "CAPN REFSMMAT -  RE: WEBSITE". They even listed a hospital he was calling from 😂. I wasn't on call today so when I heard my answering service text me I about lost my mind until I saw who it was.

What?

2 hours ago, iNow said:

It was all really kinda worth it since it led to a few posts here from Dave, Blike, and Cap’n. It’s feels a bit like encountering some old friends who have been incommunicado... hiking, isolated in the woods, and living alone on a mountain surviving on squirrels and rain water for the last several years. 

Big, bushy, twig-ridden beards, oversized overalls, and several good-looking teeth. It IS good to see them again!

1 hour ago, Raider5678 said:

What?

Cap'n pretended to call from a hospital to get an urgent message through to Dr B. That's a felony these two are obviously trying to cover up now.

6 hours ago, blike said:

😂 I wasn't on call today

We should have put a calendar on your golf cart.

8 hours ago, pzkpfw said:

I try to avoid magical thinking, but a certain, um, speculators recent ranting threats had me wondering.

Same here (until I checked the domain name registry).

8 hours ago, nevim said:

Somebody joined another forum specifically to ask about what had happened here. Their best response was that some banned loser had hacked it.

I was going to suggest (if the problem hadn't been fixed) that we announce what was happening on some other forums. A lot of the regulars hang out elsewhere (traitors!)

6 hours ago, Strange said:

I was going to suggest (if the problem hadn't been fixed) that we announce what was happening on some other forums. A lot of the regulars hang out elsewhere (traitors!)

Yes I noticed a few familiar names, hmm Strange 😁