"Wait a carrot-picking minute...

Janus

3 hours ago, koti said:

Im a bipolar redneck who poses as a nerd.

Does being bipolish in Warsaw mean anything different than elsewhere?

Have you posed for any of the geeky magazines?

7 hours ago, Janus said:

The 3D rendering of the station is based on the matte painting used for the episode.

Really well done, Janus. Ya know, someday these scientists are gonna invent something that will outsmart a rabbit.

24 minutes ago, Phi for All said:

Does being bipolish in Warsaw mean anything different than elsewhere?

Have you posed for any of the geeky magazines?

Not many people can fit so much in so little words. 
You must have been told this a million times here on the forums Phi but I love you man and I hope I can keep you in my online forum life forever man. You have that wormth combined with intelligence which doesn’t impose anything to anyone in any situation. And I don’t throw praise around lightly, you keep that in mind.

Edited by koti

6 hours ago, iNow said:

Another impressive bit of work on the creation and detailed 3D rendering of a 2D image, Janus. I can only imagine the hours that went into it, and appreciate you sharing it here in a lighthearted way. 

Thanks  this one did give me a few headaches.  It turns out that the original artwork had some Escheristic qualities to it, with pipes and columns connecting in ways that that they couldn't in reality

9 hours ago, koti said:

I rememebr that ST episode and I'm aware of Bugs Bunny doing what you explained. I guess this is a good example of how highly subjective humor is, this is as funny to me as going through spam on a Sunday afternoon.

Hey, I'm with you dude. I have no clue.

Some of the best memories of my youth ( early 70s ) are of Saturday evening dinner.
Me and my brother would prepare supper after school, always chicken and potatoes in the oven ( only thing we knew how to make ), and my mother would make a quick salad when she got home from work at 5 pm ( we had just immigrated to Canada a few years earlier ).
The best part was, that we didn't have to eat at the table on Saturday evenings, but could eat in the living room while watching 'The Bugs Bunny/Road runner Hour'.

Oh, and re-runs of 'Star Trek' at 7 pm.
( first episode I ever saw was 'Who Mourns for Adonis' with the 'God' Apollo )

Edited by MigL

14 minutes ago, zapatos said:

Those cartoons meant a lot to us also. Besides the Bugs Bunny cartoons being my introduction to classical music, my wife has an approximation of the following tattooed on her, um, body.

image.png.9c707937e0097ea6a477ade6b8a290ed.png

Let me guess, it's on her Kaboom!

27 minutes ago, zapatos said:

Besides the Bugs Bunny cartoons being my introduction to classical music,

Not sure why but this little tidbit stuck with me: in "What's opera, doc" Arthur Bryan was Elmer's  voice ( "Ritt der Walkueren" is forever linked to "Kill the Wabbit" in my brain) . Two years after release Bryan died and was buried in Valhalla Memorial Cemetery. 

3 minutes ago, CharonY said:

Not sure why but this little tidbit stuck with me: in "What's opera, doc" Arthur Bryan was Elmer's  voice ( "Ritt der Walkueren" is forever linked to "Kill the Wabbit" in my brain) . Two years after release Bryan died and was buried in Valhalla Memorial Cemetery. 

Nice tidbit.

When I was in college one of the guests to our Speakers Series was Mel Blanc. He was hilarious.

9 hours ago, zapatos said:

Those cartoons meant a lot to us also. Besides the Bugs Bunny cartoons being my introduction to classical music, my wife has an approximation of the following tattooed on her, um, body.

image.png.9c707937e0097ea6a477ade6b8a290ed.png

Somehow, He found his way into the ST universe also.

MARVINBRIDGE5SML.png.cc050bcc2984647d7c46fd616abbba08.png

(during the course of the cartoons featuring him, the colors of his outfit changed, this is one of the early color schemes)

• 2 weeks later...

Since my last post, I've done a few more,  Each one is a recreation of a matte painting used for the original Star Trek series.  All but the last one have an element of "whimsy" added.  at the end of the post I've added some comments and notes for each image.

1. Not exactly the reception Kirk and the landing party were expecting.

rigel_gumby.thumb.png.6055c04fca313bc98181ddb3c11c7241.png

2. Duck Dodgers in the 23rd and 1/2 century.

duck_dodgers2.thumb.png.b3a05163decbf5957d8c1c068a1c809f.png

3.The "Devil" in the Dark

Image1.thumb.png.8480223ef03ebaae92609db5a7f4dccf.png

4. Starbase XI

starbase.thumb.png.2700a80d359fc77455fe1be3add201cf.png

Note:

1.  Rigel VII fortress used in "'The Cage" ( first pilot) and later seen in "The Menagerie".  It was also later used for Flint's home in "Requiem For Methuselah"  My first try at using the "fur" feature of Blender to simulate ground cover/vegetation.

2. Eminiar VII from "A Taste of Armageddon". This was also used as Scalos for " Wink of an Eye". While Duck Dodgers is my self-created model, the other people in the scene are posable models imported from Daz-3D.  About the only modifications I made with them were in the poses and coloration of clothing.  

3. Underground mining facility from The episode of the same title as the caption. This one was also later reused for "The Gamesters of Triskelion"

4. Starbase XI from "Court Martial". Again, the base figures were imported from Daz-3D, though this time I had to do a bit more to make uniforms for them to be wearing.  This one also offered some additional challenges.   The perspective lines in the original matter painting were not exactly consistent.  So in order to keep things looking as close as possible to the painting, Some of the objects in this scene are not "square".  

• 1 year later...

Just after Thanksgiving, I finally updated my 7+ year old computer to a new "gaming"* computer.  This has allowed me to upgrade Blender to the latest build, which has a number of new features and tools, as well as driving the render times down significantly.

For example.  One of the Star Trek matte paintings I tried to duplicate with Blender was of Stratos, the cloud city.

While modeling the buildings wasn't that difficult, the clouds became problematic.   In order to get the right look, you had to create a light scattering volume. This means that the render engine has to take into account how light behaves as it passes through the whole volume of the cloud.   With my old computer, this meant hrs and hrs of render time, during which time I couldn't use the computer for anything else.  

I kept putting it off, thinking I would set the render going while we were away from home.  Then Covid hit, and we weren't going anywhere.

With the new computer, I decided to start the whole project again from scratch. (Mainly because the new version of Blender had a different model for making clouds)

This is the result:

stratos.thumb.png.9da765e8fd4b2180a073d98fd749c9bc.png

In contrast to my old system, this render only took a few minutes.

* Not that I do much in the way of gaming. It is is just that best the specifications for running Blender (good GPU etc.) tend to match those used for gaming.

Though my daughter and her boyfriend did get me the newest Microsoft Flight Sim for Christmas.)