Sources for the Bible ?

Externet

Whenever the Bible contents was decided; was there a choice of ancient manuscripts or versions from where material was chosen discarding other not-preferred sources ?  (or a mixture of sources)

Is there somewhere access to such not-used text sources translated to any modern language ?

Example:  If there was a historical version on how tall was the cross that the skinny guy was crucified; is the height not mentioned by considered irrelevant ?

From Wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Council_of_Nicaea#Biblical_canon

The main source of the idea that the Bible was created at the Council of Nicaea seems to be Voltaire, who popularised a story that the canon was determined by placing all the competing books on an altar during the Council and then keeping the ones that did not fall off. The original source of this "fictitious anecdote" is the Synodicon Vetus,[82] a pseudo-historical account of early Church councils from AD 887

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Council_of_Nicaea

Bible = Old Testament + New Testament.

You should be more specific which part of it, you are interested in.

Generally, Old Testament "suspicious" sources were kept, and New Testament "suspicious" sources were destroyed (or attempted to be destroyed).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Testament_apocrypha

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pseudepigrapha

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biblical_apocrypha

1 hour ago, Prometheus said:

I recently discovered that the Catholic and the Protestant Bible are slightly different, the Catholic version having a few extra books in the Old Testament.

The Catholics certainly seem to follow Judaism more precisely than the Protestants... :lol:

Sorry Externet, I couldn't resist, please forgive me.

8 hours ago, Externet said:

Example:  If there was a historical version on how tall was the cross that the skinny guy was crucified; is the height not mentioned by considered irrelevant ?

History is never a true representation of what actually happened (however accurate) even 10 minutes ago, it will be festooned with miss-remembered/missunderstood scenes, infused with bias and self interest ;all we can really do is hope it's accurate enough to actually learn from it.

21 minutes ago, studiot said:

I thought it was the other way round.

Me too. Or, the way I would put it, is that the new is at least as fictitious as the old. 

Professional historians don't regard the New Testament as a historical account. It's a collection of stories that were written up by interested parties years after the alleged events. And the battle to exclude rival versions didn't start at Nicea. 

St. Paul won out in a battle of wills, on what should be accepted doctrine. He never met Jesus, and only met his alleged brothers and followers once, (I think). But he was responsible for the version of events that we see today. The other faction, led by James, the alleged brother of Jesus, didn't even think Jesus was the Son of God. That was put in by Paul and his side, and the James version faded into obscurity. 

I'm not at all convinced that there was a man called Jesus at the root of it. There was certainly a Jesus movement, but I think it started out as a heavenly son-of-god story, and gradually got written up and embroidered as a real life man. (Not my own idea, there are proper historians who push that version)

29 minutes ago, mistermack said:

I'm not at all convinced that there was a man called Jesus at the root of it. There was certainly a Jesus movement, but I think it started out as a heavenly son-of-god story, and gradually got written up and embroidered as a real life man. (Not my own idea, there are proper historians who push that version)

I'm not convinced a committee, would go viral??? Is there a president???

On 10/14/2019 at 4:31 AM, Externet said:

Whenever the Bible contents was decided; was there a choice of ancient manuscripts or versions from where material was chosen discarding other not-preferred sources ?  (or a mixture of sources)

Is there somewhere access to such not-used text sources translated to any modern language ?

Why not read other Ancient Texts to see if there are any correlations with the Bible,  many exist,  Hindu Texts, Tamil, Akkadian, Sumerian, Egyptian etc,  I like the Egyptian Texts which have some beautiful parables in them on Morality such as the tale of The God Hapi and Senmu the Fisherman,  in other texts you have the Sumerian and Akkadian versions of the Deluge,  in the Sumerian version Ziusudra was the Boat-Builder,  the Aztec legends tell of a Flood,  they said they had lived on a Large Island in a Big Lake and searched for two hundred years to find their new home,  their "New Home" was given to their King in a Vision,  in this Dream He saw an Eagle, Perched on a Cactus with a Snake in it's Talon,  they had arrived in Mexico - Exists The Pure Land.  A lot of good reading and you'll get there.

15 minutes ago, Ant Sinclair said:

Why not read other Ancient Texts to see if there are any correlations with the Bible,  many exist,  Hindu Texts, Tamil, Akkadian, Sumerian, Egyptian etc,  I like the Egyptian Texts which have some beautiful parables in them on Morality such as the tale of The God Hapi and Senmu the Fisherman,  in other texts you have the Sumerian and Akkadian versions of the Deluge,  in the Sumerian version Ziusudra was the Boat-Builder,  the Aztec legends tell of a Flood,  they said they had lived on a Large Island in a Big Lake and searched for two hundred years to find their new home,  their "New Home" was given to their King in a Vision,  in this Dream He saw an Eagle, Perched on a Cactus with a Snake in it's Talon,  they had arrived in Mexico - Exists The Pure Land.  A lot of good reading and you'll get there.

Correlation does not imply causation, having said that the Koran does mention Jesus.

3 hours ago, dimreepr said:

Correlation does not imply causation, having said that the Koran does mention Jesus.

Correlation means a connection between two things or more,  what "Causation" are you referring to Dim?

If you're referring to the Earlier Flood Legend of Ziusudra not being the cause of the Biblical Noah's Story I'd agree it probably wasn't,  could well be these accounts are retelling more than one event.

Edited by Ant Sinclair

On 10/22/2019 at 1:59 PM, Ant Sinclair said:

There was global scale flooding of the Earth thousands years ago, due to melting of ice, sea level increased level by over 120 meters..

Edited by Sensei

17 minutes ago, Ant Sinclair said:

Do you know of any Deluges around 50,000 years ago Sensei?

Some areas have always had regular floods; eg the Nile valley and Mesopotamia which is, not surprisingly, the source of the Biblical flood story.