Bad day, Swansont ?

A brand new member ( 0 post count ) misplaces his query about getting more heat from his outdoor fireplace, and his thread is shut down.

Not moved from the Sandbox to the appropriate place, mind you, but 'closed to further replies'.

Have we adopted a 'zero tolerance' approach since I was last on ?

1 minute ago, MigL said:

Don't send money through the mail.
Send me a cheque.

Electronic transfer. You don’t even need to be logged in.

1 minute ago, MigL said:

I asked because, up to now, the practice has been to move new posts to the appropriate forum...

No, that’s not true. A practice, but not the practice. In this case, the post is vague in terms of what the discussion is supposed to be. Engineering? Physics? There are no details. 

What is also the preferred practice is to use the report post feature to bring this to the attention of the staff, rather than post to call someone out (which might be considered a violation of rule 2.1)

iNow is close; first-time posts in certain areas have decent correlation with spam, though if this were certain, or it was a sockpuppet, they would have been banned. And most spammers are erased without a trace so you would not even see the posts. 

13 hours ago, MigL said:

Have we adopted a 'zero tolerance' approach since I was last on ?

I simply asked the question as I didn't know the answer.
( that's not against the rules is it ? )

At first I thought the snarky thread title may have put you off, but the fact that you perceive my asking a question as 'calling you out' indicates the title may not have been far off the mark.

Sure, a downvote...
A lot easier than explaining why, or even if, someone is wrong.
Really 'grown-up' way to conduct a discussion.

My fault for not realizing that simply asking a question is equivalent to 'calling someone out'

14 hours ago, swansont said:

rather than post to call someone out (which might be considered a violation of rule 2.1)

and being threatened with a rule violation.

10 hours ago, MigL said:

I simply asked the question as I didn't know the answer.
( that's not against the rules is it ? )

At first I thought the snarky thread title may have put you off, but the fact that you perceive my asking a question as 'calling you out' indicates the title may not have been far off the mark.

No, it was the title. That makes it not a simple question.

And by all means, make this about me, and absolve yourself of acting in a dickish fashion. 

8 hours ago, MigL said:

Sure, a downvote...
A lot easier than explaining why, or even if, someone is wrong.
Really 'grown-up' way to conduct a discussion.

You likely don’t know why someone downvoted you, or who did it.

8 hours ago, MigL said:

and being threatened with a rule violation.

No threat. I am not in a position to cite you, since I am involved in the thread (all mods agree to this protocol) and if it’s a violation, it already happened, and you would be the one to have committed it. You are responsible for it, not me. I somehow coerced it? No, I don’t think so.

As far as possibly being punished for it, I don’t see where I threatened you. Did I say anything about that?

Dickish ?

12 hours ago, swansont said:

Did I say anything about that?

What exactly are the implications of this...

On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 9:18 PM, swansont said:

What is also the preferred practice is to use the report post feature to bring this to the attention of the staff, rather than post to call someone out (which might be considered a violation of rule 2.1)

Why are you allowed to perceive my OP in the worst possible way, but I'm not allowed to infer anything from your above statement ?

DICKISH ?

The fact that you would equate my asking a question about a decision that you made, and the possible reasoning behind it ( which could include a stressful day ) with 'calling you out', and me being 'dickish', says quite a bit more about your character than it does mine.

27 minutes ago, MigL said:

Dickish ?

Why are you allowed to perceive my OP in the worst possible way, but I'm not allowed to infer anything from your above statement ?

Because our protocols don't work in the way that you seem to want to interpret my statement. And seeing as you have presented yourself as an expert on how the site is run, I would expect that you would know that.

27 minutes ago, MigL said:

DICKISH ?

The fact that you would equate my asking a question about a decision that you made, and the possible reasoning behind it ( which could include a stressful day ) with 'calling you out', and me being 'dickish', says quite a bit more about your character than it does mine.

I don't know if being obtuse is deliberate or not, but as I have explained previously, it is not the question that I have objected to, per se. It's the title. You offered that as a possibility and I confirmed it, and now we're back to to "my asking a question about a decision that you made" as if you did not read (or did not understand, or forgot) that exchange.

You made it personal. You had options (as I said: report the post. You could also have posted the question in a more benign fashion, such as "What influences the decision to move a post or, as happened recently, locking one without telling the poster not to re-introduce the thread) There are probably other options, too. But no. As I said, you made it personal. It also insinuates that the decision was not objective and phrased the question as if I was coloring outside the lines (and, as I pointed out, you were wrong on that account)

1 hour ago, MigL said:

On 10/14/2019 at 2:18 AM, swansont said:

DICKISH ?

Bad day, MigL?

Yes, Dimreepr, actually Its been a pretty trying weekend.
And it may be affecting my posting.
I'm glad to have friends who are concerned enough to ask.

( see Swansont, that's how it's done; I didn't consider Dim's question dickish at all )

32 minutes ago, MigL said:

actually Its been a pretty trying weekend

This reminds me of a quote that has stuck with me for years... "Was it really a bad day, or was it a bad 5 minutes that you milked all day?" 

I love the perspective it brings, and I liked it because it reminded me how much power I have over my responses to things. 

Regardless, I hope whatever's been troubling you is subsiding and is of minimal long-term impact to you and yours. I'm also sure you and swansont would be laughing in no time F2F over beers. Cheers.