Storage of digital personal files...

Externet

Hi.

In another thread,  surfaced the trend that there is no compact disc reading/saving devices for personal files in the 'modern life'

Noticed from a while ago, that many computers do not have a built-in CD unit any more.  What about home stereos, car stereos; do they lack the CD now ?  From 8 track to cassette to CD to MP3 to nothing.  Where do modern people keep their music, videos, movies, photograph albums, personal files, documents, archives ?

I would not buy a computer without an optical drive 😯 

You realize you can get 256GB flash drives, shipped ( free ) from Hong Kong or Taiwan for about $15.

Mind you, this is quad level nand flash memory, not as ' as 'robust' as SLC, MLC, or even TLC flash; write ops are greatly reduced because reading the discrete levels becomes harder and harder after each successive write operation. I've found that they also 'seem' to be slightly more reliable using extFAT rather than NTFS. If you are just going to write massive amounts of data ONCE, and just read from them, they are perfectly adequate ( Just like CD-Rom/DVD/Blu-ray ).

Oh, and get name brands ( Sandisk, Kingston, etc. )

8 minutes ago, MigL said:

You realize you can get 256GB flash drives ... for about $15.

Or a 5 TB external hard drive for $70... I dare you to try filling one of those up. 

4 hours ago, Externet said:

Noticed from a while ago, that many computers do not have a built-in CD unit any more.  What about home stereos, car stereos; do they lack the CD now

Depends. Many new cars have DVD players in the backseat, but not CD players in the front. Also, keep in my the difference between audio CDs and data CDs

4 hours ago, Externet said:

Where do modern people keep their music, videos, movies, photograph albums, personal files, documents, archives

Cloud and streaming. People don’t keep music anymore. They create playlists via apps like Spotify. 

2 hours ago, iNow said:

Cloud and streaming. People don’t keep music anymore. They create playlists via apps like Spotify. 

Hello iNow.

😫Cloud and streaming... So you need a compfuser on an internet provider, and applications, antivirus and more to listen to your music which is not much yours...🤮 

And among the cloud = populated by crooks chasing how to make easy dirty money...  What is the origin of this?  Laziness to keep file records, photo albums, music media,...?

Yeah, it is really both more efficient in a world of digital content delivery and reduces material posessions.

Evils of materialism aside there are practical problems with being weighed down by stuff. You may only use it once in a blue moon and is entirely possible for it to be lost or destroyed.

My large pile of CD's is in a box somewhere, next to my two beer crates of vinyl. Not taking up room in my lounge, not getting scratched or lost.

Instead, everything I ever owned - and much much more - is available via Spotify, on my PS3, connected to my stereo. (No antivirus needed.)

I already have internet etc anyway, so that's no extra cost.

And Spotify itself costs less per month than one CD per month would have cost. And in any case, it's bundled with my cell phone plan so works out cheaper than sticker price. (Yes, no free lunch and all that.)

With bluetooth, and access via my phone, which has GB and GB of space (and Spotify allows downloads) I have my music everywhere.

I don't miss CD's.

Edited by pzkpfw

12 hours ago, Sensei said:

I think that the key word here is personal... Audio files made by 3rd party musicians are not your personal files.. Everybody around the world can have them..

The OP also included "... What about home stereos, car stereos; do they lack the CD now ?  From 8 track to cassette to CD to MP3 to nothing.  Where do modern people keep their music, videos, movies ..." and that's where a lot of the conversation went.

As for personal files, for years I've seen a heck of a lot more USB connected hard drives (now transitioning to SSD) used than CD. Add to that a good cloud backup solution, still no need for CD's.

I'm not sure I'd trust a writable CD for very long term storage. Not a regular HDD either. Probably they key with digital information is to keep transferring to newer formats (and in multiples).

(... don't want to end up like NASA, with data stored on tapes for which they have trouble finding readers.)

Edited by pzkpfw

17 hours ago, Externet said:

Hello iNow.

😫Cloud and streaming... So you need a compfuser on an internet provider, and applications, antivirus and more to listen to your music which is not much yours...🤮 

And among the cloud = populated by crooks chasing how to make easy dirty money...  What is the origin of this?  Laziness to keep file records, photo albums, music media,...?

I think the modern methods are a reflection of the true, short-lived nature of our activities as we go through life. The concept of material permanence of personal data seems to have gone out of fashion because, really, most things we consume cognitively we do so only once. There is no point having something that will not be used by oneself again. It's better for future-resource availability as well. Physical daily newspapers are a prime example of extravagant wastage for an ephemeral purpose when we can now consume the news without downing trees.

Edited by StringJunky