PHD in Quantum Physics

KHinfcube22

Originally posted by KHinfcube22

No need to worry about that....I've take the basics of physics last year, and am takin the more complicated stuff this year.....I'm also gonna try to finish every type of math known by the time I'm a Junior......Or maybe even quicker if the school will let me....

Do you know how much mathematics there IS?

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 months later...

I'm sure faf and MrL are well aware that they don't know everything.

If someone is obviously ignorant of information they need, and one attempts to educate them as to how much they don't know, I'd call that helpful, not arrogant.

Don’t let the bastards grind you down kid. For a 14 year old you are doing fine, your age is against you it makes you rash and prone to say stupid things. Keep the attitude that you can do anything and you probably will.

As for the spelling loads of extremely intelligent (not knowledgeable)

people are poor spellers.

As for this "Allot of training and education goes into becoming an electrician"

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah hahahah ahahaha hahahah.......hahah...hehheh

I would really like a PhD in forensic science, but first of I have to finish my degree then gain a masters then If and only If i have the ability to continue education i shall try my hardest to gain a PhD. Although I have a degree in Chemistry it was the wrong choice, i did well and could have done a master (with trying), but forensic science/crime scene science is the subject that i wish to postgraduate on.

• 1 month later...
zhuam said in post # :

Which is why I wonder, why do students have to spend so much time in elementary, I think that we should skip student if proficiency is shown.

School before post-graduate education is primarily meant to condition the individual into society's standards of how they should behave and so forth. It is true that valuable information can be learned, but as you've recognized, the time-frame in which this is accomplished can be shortened and the system modified to accomidate faster learning for the regular person. So basically, school conditions us--and is designed to, as my teacher from Intro to APS (Anthropology, Psychology, Sociology) even verified--to become proper citizens.

Nothing too surprising, but kind of interesting.

• 5 months later...
I was just wondering, what is a good college to get a PHD in Quantum Physics? I wantto know what school to apply for, and what kinds of schollerships I need to get to get in for free. Plus I would like to know where it is. Thanx for all your help.

You are either a kid or a very dumb person in an university. First, I would recommend you to finish you B.S. in Physics, then you can talk about Ph.D. in physics. If you are already in your university in a physics program, YOU SHOULD ALREADY KNOW which schools are the best ones. Just by what the professor say in class you shoudl now

"In MIT XYZ discovered that the quantum state..."

"Three years ago, Mr. XYZ from Princeton, discovered that the EM radiation..."

P.S. I really hope you are a kid!

First of all, if you want to get into the field, the school isn't as important as you might think. Yes, a great school looks good on a resume', however whats more important is the laboratory that you graduate from. I'm a perfect example. Right now, I'm getting my Ph.D at the University of Buffalo. This is by no means means Yale, cambridge, Hopkins etc. The university of Buffalo is usually classified as an "average" graduate school. However the professor I'm getting my Ph.D from is tops in his field. When I graduate, my publications will speak for themselves and my CV will say I came out of a good laboratory.

Heres another example. If you were accepted to UB, you could enter the laboratory of Herbert Hauptman. If you're not familiar with him, he is the man credited with perfecting X-ray crystallography. He received the nobel prize for his work. Again, this is an example of a very accomplished professor doing state of the art work, at only an "average" graduate school.

if I were you, I'd concentrate on a few things:

1. Getting good grades in high school (or wherever you are).

2. Get into a very good undergraduate institution.

3. Get as much research experience as you can: internships, summer jobs etc. These intangibles will go much further then you think.

enjoy science, cuz graduate school sucks and is more work then you can imagine.

If you want to do a PhD at Cambridge you should do Part III of the maths tripos first. It will let you figure out what you want to work on for your PhD (if any).

And badchad, there is nothing wrong with Buffalo - that is where Uli Baur is isn't it? (Or am I getting muddled up with SUNY at Buffalo?)

Yes, I believe Baur is employed by our University (SUNY at Buffalo, which is a different college then Buffalo State University). But that was my main point about colleges and science in general. Even a University that is regarded as "average" will employ excellent scientists. When you get to the level of a Ph.D, it's your publications, and the quality of the research that you perform that matter, and not so much the name of your institution.

I would really like a PhD in forensic science, but first of I have to finish my degree then gain a masters then If and only If i have the ability to continue education i shall try my hardest to gain a PhD. Although I have a degree in Chemistry it was the wrong choice, i did well and could have done a master (with trying), but forensic science/crime scene science is the subject that i wish to postgraduate on.

Why was chemistry the wrong choice? Surely it provides you with a very good grounding to enter into forensic science?

A PhD is very different from formal, taught education (well, in the UK at least). You have to research, and that means doing stuff no-one has done before and becoming an expert in that particular subject - you have to be committed and enjoy it. PhD's in forensics are usually done on the job, basically after you gain your master's you'll end up working for law enforcement (or even a private contractor) where you will be doing your own research as well as forensics work - not easy.

• 2 weeks later...

You are very young KH, one thing you are yet to learn is no body likes a gloater. While none here doubts your potential, intellecutal arrogance quickly breeds ignorance. For some people ignorance is bliss, but it will be anything but that for those around you...

Oh well... I just want a PhD in some kind of science. it would be fun to be called Doctor, (sad, isn't it) The PhD would realy have nothing to do with my future job.

That is a really bad reason to do a PhD. I have a PhD (in physics) and the 'Dr' thing wears off really fast. 9 times out of 10 I don't even use it becasue people either get shirty (somehow thinking that I think I am better than them) or can't understand that I am not a medical doctor.

I makes no difference to anything in life either, unless you need it for a research job. People always claim that you are more likely to get bumped up into business class on flights, but I fly almost once a month, and in the 100 or so flights I have taken since my PhD I haven't been bumped up once. :(

For jobs outside research it makes no difference either. In fact I have heard people say it is a disadvantage for two reasons. Firstly you have been taught to think in a way which the company has no control over. They like to train you to think themselves so that you think in 'their way'. Secondly, you are older when they hire you, so you are either at the bottom of the pay ladder, or too expensive for your level. :(

Even wanting to do pure research for a career is not a good reason to do a PhD because research jobs are often hard to come by (this depends on the area though). Pure research is often funded principly by the government, so funds are lacking and new appointments few. What few there are are very ofter fixed term. :(

The only reason you should ever think about doing a PhD is because you are interested in the subject and want to do the PhD for its own sake. Imagine that at the end of the PhD that it is taken away from you again, and you get no credit for it - would you still want to do it? If you say yes, then go for it. If no, then go do something else.

Well, i myself am 14 years old and i have Mr cooper to thank for my interest in physics, he feeds me countless books, alot of them on Quantum physics, I think that you can do anythink, Go for it, but keep your goals little, i am struggling to get through my school certificate level intemediate maths :-( so im not interested in much else at the moment, And another thing, NEVER GET TOO COCKY!!!

That is a really bad reason to do a PhD. I have a PhD (in physics) and the 'Dr' thing wears off really fast. 9 times out of 10 I don't even use it becasue people either get shirty (somehow thinking that I think I am better than them) or can't understand that I am not a medical doctor.

True for me as well. Generally the only people I correct are people who should know better and address me as "Mr." anyway, rather than by my first name (I mean, if you're going to get formal on me all of the sudden, you might at least get it right)

I also find that people who have degrees that they didn't really earn (honorary or purchased at a diploma mill or unaccredited school) are more likely to insist on being called "doctor."

The people who are impressed by your title alone are invariably the ones you don't want to waste time impressing. People you'd like to impress aren't going to be impressed just by the title.

• 8 years later...