PHD in Quantum Physics

KHinfcube22

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by KHinfcube22

Maybe so, but the only exams I would not pass would be ones in which I know not a thig about the subject.But why would someone give me an exam unless to see what know about the subject? And why would they want to see what I'd know about thhe subject, unless it was for a class I was going into, in which I would know of the ubject, so I would pass the exam. See a paradox circuling around?

What subjets are the cambridge entrance exams based off of? I bet you I could pass one with ease.

Mathematics? Wich kind: Algebra, Geometry, Algebra2, Calculas? Any type of math above those? Than that exam would be easy as (input your own word)! Math is my best subject.

Well, for one thing, you sure as hell couldn't pass a spelling test.

And the 'a' you put in calculUs is not a typo, it's a blatant misspelling. Generally people who are experts on a subject can spell it right.

Originally posted by Sayonara³

Q: You are in a desert with no water. Which way is up?

The opposite direction to which the sand falls from suspension assuming the air is still.

(We are of course ignoring the philosophical ramifications of the lack of water, ie. there can be no human life there, and as up is a direction defined by humanity, and not inherent to the universe like left and right, can up be defined without a conscious presence?)

[edit]

Any more interesting ones?

Because that's the name that english has given them.

(Ps. Those answers aren't as accurate as mine. Personally, in an interview I would have stood up and said 'So I'm in the desert, standing, say, like this?' when they reply yes I stick a finger up and say 'That direction'.)

I'm not sure they're after accuracy, but more scope for potential thought processes. I'm quite fond of "away from the sand" because it's humourously true.

Not as provocative an answer I'd have liked for the monkeys question but I suppose it is the truth.

Q: A man walks 100 miles due North towards the magnetic pole. He then turns to bearing 090 and walks for twice as long at two thirds of the rate of progress.

If he started walking at 12.00 midnight on the 1st January, and ended his journey 89 hours later in the center of Trafalgar Square, what was he standing on just before he started walking?

If he started walking at 12.00 midnight on the 1st January, and ended his journey 89 hours later in the center of Trafalgar Square, what was he standing on just before he started walking?

Socks.

And your point is?

My point is that you are after a degree that doesn't exist. One does not get a PhD in quantum mechanics, any more than one gets a PhD in classical mechanics. You have to choose from one of the areas offered by the school you go to, which are typically the areas I listed.

this is a "cambridge" joke, paraphrased since it is a while since I heard it.

a couple of mountaineers fell off a mountain one day to their deaths. as their souls were drifting up to heaven, one of them spotted a couple of eagles in a nest, and remarked "aah, eagles", but the eagles being polite, said nothing.

My two favorites are:

A man hears a scream in the next room. He opens the door to find Mary crying, broken glass, water on the floor, and Bob dead. How did Bob die?

And

You open a barn door to find a man hanging by his neck from a rafter 15 feet above the floor with a large puddle of water below him. There are no ladders or stairs. How did the man hang himself?

Everything you need to know is in the story. :P

Originally posted by BPHgravity
Bob's a fish. He suffocated in air when Mary accidentally dropped his bowl.

The man in the barn stood on a block of ice to hang himself, because he was a bit weird.

Originally posted by fafalone

Well, for one thing, you sure as hell couldn't pass a spelling test.

And the 'a' you put in calculUs is not a typo, it's a blatant misspelling. Generally people who are experts on a subject can spell it right.

My spelling on this page has nothing to do with my spelling in the physical world. I type rather diffrently thn I write. And I admit, I couldn't pass the exam if I just went out a took it with out any idea of what was on it. I would study everything needed, then pass. I learn rather fast, and can probobly, (I know spelling error,) memorize rather poorly all forms of math in roughly a months time.

And any ways, up always refers to the direction in wich is above you.

Too bad memorization doesn't help on alot of important exams. From your comments its quite clear you've never dealt with graduate exams.

...and how long have you had to learn to spell and type.

Bob's a fish. He suffocated in air when Mary accidentally dropped his bowl.

The man in the barn stood on a block of ice to hang himself, because he was a bit weird.

Did you have to ruin it for everyone? :P

Good Job! :D

Originally posted by blike

KHinfcube22's greats quotes collection:

"Hey, I've been working in my bedroom on a computer for years. Plus I'm aquainted with psicology, I know what I'm talking about." (referring to his significant work experience)

"There are only two things sure in life: Death and Taxes" Ben Franklin" (one of his responses to a call for science forums slogan)

"A black hole is cnstantly emitting molecules and stuff, and sucking in stuff. That is why there isn't very many black holes, for most spew more than they suck, and thus they are unstable and fall apart."

"the universe could be inf. large AND still have space outside. The space outside would also have to be inf. large and be some type of antimatter."

"Oceanography, is it real or fake? If it is real, how come no one acknolages it, pardon my spelling. "

"I believe the mind consists of two parts of conciousness, the unconcious and the concious. There is a barrier between these two,which is hard to break. When one tries to break it, it only partially tears, and the man goes insane."

"I figured a way to break the barrier without goin insane. All you have to do is disolve it, then merge the two conciousnesses together to create one almighty mind."

"Time travel is possible, just to complicated for the human mind to concieve the only possible way."

"If you have read one of my other threads, on how time for one is controlled by ones "mind", then you would know why matter doesn't necessarily go back in time. Well ,actualy it does. "

"And on the genetics mutating thing, why don't we just find some drug that will let us interbreed species? Sounds resonable to me."

You couldn't pass an AP test in any subject, much less a GRE.

Originally posted by fafalone

Too bad memorization doesn't help on alot of important exams. From your comments its quite clear you've never dealt with graduate exams.

...and how long have you had to learn to spell and type.

Well, considering i'm only 14, I've never taken a graduate exam. And I've been writtten for about 12 years, and typin for only 7. Sad, isn't it?

Oh yeah, I admit you guys are far more intelligent than me, and probably know what your talking about when you say the tests are hard. But what I'm tryin to say is, I'm a fast learner. Very, very fast learner with numbers especially. I learned most of Algebra in a few weeks, and that was in school. Sorry for all else I have posted that may have offended any readers. Better luck next time...

It is a serious misconception that the best time to take an exam is as soon after exhausting cramming while the information is "fresh" in your mind. Dedicated study and commitment to memory has always proven to be the most reliable way to perform successfully on any type of exam.

Besides, most college entrance exams are testing to see the students potential and ability to figure things out, and not necessarily see what the student as previously been taught. Its a fine line but an important one.

KHinfcube22: Please remove the term "electrician" from your profile, or at least spell it correctly. Alot of training and education goes into becomming an electrician for some kid to throw around like it some sort of hobby. Thanks.