Superluminal Coulomb Field

Bluemoon

I've just discovered the paper  Measuring Propagation Speed of Coulomb Fields   (PDF)

which appears to show that the Coulomb field (& also gravitational fields) travel with infinite speed.

The authors also dismiss a critique of their research here (PDF).

The theory is way over my head, so I am wondering what the views are of the better educated on  S.F  as to the merit of the authors' conclusions.

1 hour ago, Bluemoon said:

I've just discovered the paper  Measuring Propagation Speed of Coulomb Fields   (PDF)

which appears to show that the Coulomb field (& also gravitational fields) travel with infinite speed.

The authors also dismiss a critique of their research here (PDF).

The theory is way over my head, so I am wondering what the views are of the better educated on  S.F  as to the merit of the authors' conclusions.

Although the subject matter is touchy for some, this is a very good way to introduce your question. +1

I haven't yet looked at the PDFs, but the title and claim that "the Coulomb field (& also gravitational fields) travel with infinite speed." is suspicious.

Suspicious because coulomb and gravitation fields do not travel, unless their source is moving.
In the latter case they have the same motion as their source.

It is signals, disturbances  or changes in a field if you will, that travel.

A niggly point perhaps, but one would have hoped a real scientist would have got that right.

I have just downloaded the pdfs and they look regular but old (2014 for the original)

The first paper is 23 pages long and I have a vague memory of seeing it before

The second is only 3 pages (thankfully).

Both are innocuous.

More when I have read them.

Edited by studiot

It is interesting to compare the claimed velocities of the electrons

Accelerating Voltage Mev        Newtonian velocity m/s     Relativistic velocity m/s 

50                                                           4.2*109                                   2.9977 * 108

800                                                        1.7 * 1010                               2.9978 * 108

1 hour ago, Bluemoon said:

Do you mean that you think that if the source moves that its associated field (at all distances from it) does not change at the same instant?

No I mean they (the pdfs) do not contain any harmful content.

2 hours ago, Bluemoon said:

Harmful content?

Let me guess again:

You think that the paper's authors' conclusions do not contradict the foundation assumptions of relativity theory;  yes - ?

Harmful content = hidden malware of some sort, which I did not detect.

Nothing to do with the subject of the papers.

Did you draw any conclusions (about the papers)  from the table of figures I posted?

Only that the actual [relativistic, "γ ≈ 1000" and limited to c] speeds are nigh-on unaltered for all of the accelerator's output range, compared to what Newton would have expected;

though [reading between your lines] I can't see how that may impact on whether or not the "Coulomb field [is] carried rigidly by the moving charge".

30 minutes ago, Bluemoon said:

Only that the actual [relativistic, "γ ≈ 1000" and limited to c] speeds are nigh-on unaltered for all of the accelerator's output range, compared to what Newton would have expected;

though [reading between your lines] I can't see how that may impact on whether or not the "Coulomb field [is] carried rigidly by the moving charge".

I can't see what this has to do with the title sunject of this thread and its opening post.

Superluminal Coulomb Field

On 10/11/2019 at 12:13 PM, Bluemoon said:

The speed is not clear in the papers, but they do say that they are using an electron ebam with energies in the 50 to 800 Mev range.

So I calculated and posted what I thought might be helpful to the discussion viz the range of electron velocities resulting from these accelerating voltages.

As you can see the Newtonian calculation leads to a significantly greater speed than c,

whilst the Relativistic calculation shows how squeezed up velocities are at that level but the range remains less than c.