How can we further improve humanity.

NoIdentificationProvided

Let's face it.

We've slowed.

Our development rate is far less than was expected. Our, 'next generation', are a bunch of spoiled children who think the world is complete, and simply seek to make ends meet. It's sickening.

We've developed beautifully, haven't we? We've come from fire to space rather intelligently, albeit slowly. We've had genius inventors sprinkled throughout history, who changed the world they lived in dramatically. It's been beautiful reading up on these great men, but it's a shame that a book will not enable me to understand their thought process.

Still, it must be said that they obviously did not believe their world was perfect. That they found problems in places no one would have thought to look. They had intuition. God bless them.

Over the course of history, their innovations appeared at intervals. Intervals that got shorter at astounding rates. And were expected to keep getting shorter.

But they didn't

Quite odd.

Could it be blamed on the lack of a true generational genius? Of course, Hawkins not counting as he made no dramatic changes to the field of science.

Or is it the aftermath of the world wars, which has made the common folk now value safety over progress?

A multitude of factors exist for our lack of enthusiasm for science and a collective drop in IQ.

But it stands. We are not growing at our previous pace.

Some may argue that we are growing, siting examples such as the new computers and phones of today and 'breakthroughs in medicine'. Hogwash.

Upgrading previous technology is development, but not drastic enough to be relevant. If it is, well, lets add the CEO of Apple to our history textbooks, no?

As for medicine...all I've heard are experimental drugs which isn't very reassuring. Until someone makes another splash like Penicillin or maybe the cure to HIV, that field's fairly stagnant. 

As a member of this new generation, I lack the creativity required to make a suitable world.

I humbly apologize for this horrid deficiency.

As I am unable to perform suitably, I turn to my seniors, experienced scientists in their fields, and kindly ask.

What can we improve in this world of ours?

36 minutes ago, NoIdentificationProvided said:

What can we improve in this world of ours?

Human can get rid of money and the all evilness associated with them i.e. there will be no thieves, there will be no murders to kill witnesses of stealing, there will be no corruption, there will be no hunger, no people dying unable to buy food, medicament or unable to afford health care, there will be no poor, nor wealthy, no greediness nor jealousy of possession of things you don't have but others have.. no drug dealers, nor drug wars.. People will be well educated, if they will be intelligent enough to use free of charge universities..

In the distant past, people lived in small villages, each other voluntarily helping other members of community because of goodness from the bottom of their hearts..

Edited by Sensei

9 hours ago, Sensei said:

Human can get rid of money and the all evilness associated with them i.e. there will be no thieves, there will be no murders to kill witnesses of stealing, there will be no corruption, there will be no hunger, no people dying unable to buy food, medicament or unable to afford health care, there will be no poor, nor wealthy, no greediness nor jealousy of possession of things you don't have but others have.. no drug dealers, nor drug wars.. People will be well educated, if they will be intelligent enough to use free of charge universities..

In the distant past, people lived in small villages, each other voluntarily helping other members of community because of goodness from the bottom of their hearts..

Is it even possible to have a society with no money ( paper or electronic). How would that work? Where would the motivation to work come from, wouldnt this 'new' motivation not be the same as money. Being serious, this interests me.

Edited by Curious layman

12 hours ago, NoIdentificationProvided said:

Let's face it.

We've slowed.

Our development rate is far less than was expected.

Citation, please?

Our, 'next generation', are a bunch of spoiled children who think the world is complete, and simply seek to make ends meet. It's sickening.

It's also a huge generalization based on personal opinion. I've personally never met one of these children who thinks the world is complete.

Could it be blamed on the lack of a true generational genius? Of course, Hawkins not counting as he made no dramatic changes to the field of science.

If you don't think Stephen Hawking made dramatic changes to science, how are we to trust your opinion on "true generational genius"?

Some may argue that we are growing, siting examples such as the new computers and phones of today and 'breakthroughs in medicine'. Hogwash.

Your examples are hogwash. Have you seen what's happening with 3D printing? Are you aware of how difficult it is to shoot a rocket from Earth and land on an asteroid? I don't think you're looking past your few hogwash examples.

As for medicine...all I've heard are experimental drugs which isn't very reassuring. Until someone makes another splash like Penicillin or maybe the cure to HIV, that field's fairly stagnant. 

If that's "all you've heard" in medicine, you're not listening. You sound quite young and perhaps haven't experienced the need, but for those of us who're experiencing medical problems, the field you claim is stagnant has made some of the most amazing strides in all areas. The biggest problem with medicine today is how to pay for it. A universal risk pool funding a national system seems like the wisest choice.

As a member of this new generation, I lack the creativity required to make a suitable world.

Thank goodness there are plenty of creative people in your generation. Not everyone needs to be. We need all types, and sometimes folks forget that. Creative people don't always have the drive to see their projects through, or get caught up in minutia, and they need others to help them make dreams happen.

12 hours ago, Sensei said:

I think there will always be some evil around, but I agree that obsession with money is hurting our global development. Rather than do away with it, I'm more of a fan of using it as the tool it is. Rather than doing away with it, I think we'd be smarter to use all our economic tools rather than just private ownership. We should remember that democracies were established partly so the People could own part of their lives, so the King/Queen didn't own everything. 

I also agree that education is more important than ever. Our biggest flaw in modern times is that we don't know what we don't know. Ignorance encourages emotional reactions that often run counter to critical thinking. How great would it be for all people to use reason first, then get emotional about THAT?

Over the course of history, their innovations appeared at intervals. Intervals that got shorter at astounding rates. And were expected to keep getting shorter.

More people complain that the rate of change is accelerating and causing stress and other problems. 

3 hours ago, Curious layman said:

Is it even possible to have a society with no money ( paper or electronic). How would that work? Where would the motivation to work come from, wouldnt this 'new' motivation not be the same as money. Being serious, this interests me.

We used to and it worked just fine because we knew and trusted the people in our much smaller society, so even when that trust was tested we could moderate the person effectively; this type of society is not elastic and doesn't tollerate expansion.

1 hour ago, Phi for All said:

If you don't think Stephen Hawking made dramatic changes to science, how are we to trust your opinion on "true generational genius"?

He is a great scientist. But you can't really compare him to Fermi, Galileo or Newton can you?

Your examples are hogwash. Have you seen what's happening with 3D printing? Are you aware of how difficult it is to shoot a rocket from Earth and land on an asteroid? I don't think you're looking past your few hogwash examples.

As you said. I am young. My mind only comprehends massive changes. Dpace travel is impressive, but compared to landing a man on the moon, landing a drone on an asteroid isn't as mind blowing, right? I'll admit my knowledge of what lies beyond the stratosphere is limited...but from the little I know, which is mostly major events....all we have are theories.

As for my examples. Of course to an educated mind they are nonsense. I merely put it in layman's terms so that the common man may understand. Although I see that might have been an oversight.

As a member of this generation, I have relatively large expectations. What impresses my predecessors may only get a nudge from me. From my point of view, we are growing at a rather slow pace. What I asked was how to accelerate it.

If that's "all you've heard" in medicine, you're not listening. You sound quite young and perhaps haven't experienced the need, but for those of us who're experiencing medical problems, the field you claim is stagnant has made some of the most amazing strides in all areas. The biggest problem with medicine today is how to pay for it. A universal risk pool funding a national system seems like the wisest choice.

Medicine isn't my field. So I can only hear things. Same with the common man back in the days of old. Some achievements are so loud no one has to listen out for them. The light bulb was one like that.

Or a non-scientific example, Bill Gates achievement was loud enough that no one had to strain themselves to learn it.

To me, if an achievement needs to be researched before one can understand the beauty of it.....it isn't much of an achievement.

And you're right. Medicine has made some of the most amazing strides in all known sectors of science. And its achievements aren't loud enough.

What does that say about the rest of society?

36 minutes ago, NoIdentificationProvided said:

And you're right. Medicine has made some of the most amazing strides in all known sectors of science. And its achievements aren't loud enough.

nothing.

Until science can answer everything, it will only lead to more questions; why, answers nothing...

59 minutes ago, NoIdentificationProvided said:

He is a great scientist. But you can't really compare him to Fermi, Galileo or Newton can you?

I can. I think early scientists get a special place just because they were pioneers. Hawking may have stood on the shoulders of giants, but other scientists are standing on Hawkings shoulders. 

1 hour ago, NoIdentificationProvided said:

Dpace travel is impressive, but compared to landing a man on the moon, landing a drone on an asteroid isn't as mind blowing, right?

I don't follow at all. The distance to the asteroid was much greater. The asteroid was a fraction of the size of our moon. And it was done remotely, with a drone, which adds several degrees of complexity. I think you're being dismissive of the accomplishment.

...but from the little I know, which is mostly major events....all we have are theories.

Grrr. A science-minded person should know that theory is as good as it gets. A theory is the strongest explanation for various phenomena we have, and is the basis for quite a lot of predictive power. A theory is NOT a guess.

As a member of this generation, I have relatively large expectations. What impresses my predecessors may only get a nudge from me. From my point of view, we are growing at a rather slow pace. What I asked was how to accelerate it.

This is normal. Your perceptions are more clearly defined for your environment than your parent's were. You know what they taught you PLUS what you've picked up on your own (they didn't know how to make the VCR stop flashing 12:00, but you figured it out). Every advancement leads to more innovation and advancement, and the pace of our society picks up. 

One of the places you can see this is with old movies. I would imagine you have trouble with old black & white movies from the 30s-40s. Even I have trouble because the pacing is so slow, the plots are too obvious (so many later ones were based on these old movies), and I feel like I'm ten steps ahead of the characters. I can see where you might think our society isn't moving quick enough for you, but you need to consider that many innovations can't be implemented fast enough before they're obsolete. Computers suffer from this, since new tech often comes to market just in time to be outmoded by the next new thing.

Medicine isn't my field. So I can only hear things. Same with the common man back in the days of old. Some achievements are so loud no one has to listen out for them. The light bulb was one like that.

Or a non-scientific example, Bill Gates achievement was loud enough that no one had to strain themselves to learn it.

I just don't think you're listening loud enough. The light bulb, which was a more efficient space heater than it was a light source, was finally replaced by its solid-state counterpart, the LED. In one breathtaking product, we see energy consumption cut in half, along with solving the problems of broken glass, electrocution, and UV radiation. I guess you don't count when something is improved, but I have to tell you, the modern LED is NOTHING like an old incandescent light bulb.

Gates? Phhht. His Windows was based on Apple's design, but founded on DOS. I contend we'd all be much better with computers if Gates would have folded and allowed more competition from Apple and Linux. Same reason we had VHS instead of Betamax, dumb technology with smart marketing.

I think it sounds like confirmation bias. You don't think there are enough strides in medicine, so you don't listen when you hear about new strides in medicine. 

21 minutes ago, Phi for All said:

Gates? Phhht. His Windows was based on Apple's design, but founded on DOS. I contend we'd all be much better with computers if Gates would have folded and allowed more competition from Apple and Linux. Same reason we had VHS instead of Betamax, dumb technology with smart marketing.

Hahaha. I think so too. But his achievement, though regressive, still stands

23 minutes ago, Phi for All said:

I think it sounds like confirmation bias. You don't think there are enough strides in medicine, so you don't listen when you hear about new strides in medicine. 

It might be. I am young after all.

24 minutes ago, Phi for All said:

This is normal. Your perceptions are more clearly defined for your environment than your parent's were. You know what they taught you PLUS what you've picked up on your own (they didn't know how to make the VCR stop flashing 12:00, but you figured it out). Every advancement leads to more innovation and advancement, and the pace of our society picks up. 

One of the places you can see this is with old movies. I would imagine you have trouble with old black & white movies from the 30s-40s. Even I have trouble because the pacing is so slow, the plots are too obvious (so many later ones were based on these old movies), and I feel like I'm ten steps ahead of the characters. I can see where you might think our society isn't moving quick enough for you, but you need to consider that many innovations can't be implemented fast enough before they're obsolete. Computers suffer from this, since new tech often comes to market just in time to be outmoded by the next new thing.

Then you get my point. My perception is that we aren't moving fast enough. Yours, as a member of the previous generation is that we are.

Good example with the LED though. It really was a step up. An impressive achievement. But it had a foundation.

I don't want the only thing left to be upgrades. I want something new, a new foundation if you will. That's my perception.

28 minutes ago, Phi for All said:

I don't follow at all. The distance to the asteroid was much greater. The asteroid was a fraction of the size of our moon. And it was done remotely, with a drone, which adds several degrees of complexity. I think you're being dismissive of the accomplishment.

I said it was less impressive, I didn't dismiss it.

Forgive me if this offends you, but I am a creationist. I believe life stands above all. The moon mission showed how far we could walk, how far we could reach into the infinite gap of space that lies above our atmosphere.

The drones feel more like scouts, preparing the way for the main thing.

Let me put it this way .

We landed a drone on Jupiter.

We landed a man on Jupiter.

You can't tell me the former is a better achievement than the latter, no?

34 minutes ago, Phi for All said:

Grrr. A science-minded person should know that theory is as good as it gets. A theory is the strongest explanation for various phenomena we have, and is the basis for quite a lot of predictive power. A theory is NOT a guess.

To me science is about finding the answer. Theories help in that ultimate purpose, but if a theory is as good as it gets, what would you call a law?

16 hours ago, NoIdentificationProvided said:

Our, 'next generation', are a bunch of spoiled children who think the world is complete, and simply seek to make ends meet. It's sickening.

How dare you disparage an entire generation (not to mention my children!) People like you disgust me. 

Edited by zapatos

43 minutes ago, NoIdentificationProvided said:

To me science is about finding the answer. Theories help in that ultimate purpose, but if a theory is as good as it gets, what would you call a law?

There is no "the answer"; science creates models that can successfully describe the world. Often there are multiple models to describe the same thing.

A law is a (usually simple) mathematical relationship, usually derived from observation. So we have Ohm's law, Faraday's law, the Hubble-Lemaitre law, and so on. Often these are explained by some underlying theory. For example, the Hubble-Lemaitre law is explained by GR and the Big Bang model. Kepler's laws are explained by Newtonian gravity. Faraday's laws are explained by classical electromagnetism (Maxwell's equations) or by quantum electrodynamics.

I'm one of the members of the ''next generation''. However, I fell exactly the opposite ^^.

We begin to look directly in the DNA. We have the CRISP CAS 9 tool.

We are able to see black holes (Isn't it just marvellous ?????)

Last month I have program an algorithm of Deep learning, able to analyse the microscopic picture. It helps us to understand how our DNA is expressed.

What I mean is pretty simple.Last month I have program an algorithm of Deep learning, able to analyse the microscopic picture. We do make a lot of discovered and science is progressing in every level (even ethic in my point of view).

If you want to contribute, you can. Study and soon you will be full of question. Then work on them and you will help science to progress.

Sorry for my english.

2 hours ago, NoIdentificationProvided said:

It might be. I am young after all.

Let me be clear on this. When I mentioned your youth, it was only in reference to a scarcity of first-hand experience with medicine. Youth doesn't diminish your observations, but it might limit your perspective.

Then you get my point. My perception is that we aren't moving fast enough. Yours, as a member of the previous generation is that we are.

My perspective is that we aren't using a cohesive enough framework for our advancements, and are choosing to experience them in a very subjective and limited way. It has nothing to do with how fast we're "moving", and everything to do with a lack of direction and cooperation.

I think we could improve humanity with a good branding campaign. Decide as a species how we want to perceive ourselves and our world, and then make sure all our efforts reflect that. I'd want us to be Earth's champions, and treat the whole planet and everything on it a LOT more wisely. With that as our "brand", it could lead us to some really smart activities, like working worldwide on a solar electric grid to provide free electricity to every human group. That would naturally lead to demanding cleaner water and air, and better decisions about how we're going to share the planet with other species.

Good example with the LED though. It really was a step up. An impressive achievement. But it had a foundation.

Actually, the foundation of the incandescent light bulb held the LED lights back for years. There's absolutely NO REASON for an LED light to emulate a bulb shape, other than to fit an existing fixture. LED bulbs had to have that stupid E26 screw-in base as well, something I always felt shortened the life of incandescent filaments. 

An integrated LED fixture these days bears little resemblance to what lit your home when you were born.

Forgive me if this offends you, but I am a creationist.

As in, you think the world was created by a deity a few thousand years ago? If so, please don't bring it up anymore in this thread, unless you think those insights would help further improve humanity.

The part that offends me is that you talk with such conviction about stuff you obviously haven't looked into very deeply. But it's your ignorance to work on. I have my own areas where I need to learn more. I think we all do.

I believe life stands above all.

Life is more efficient at using and dissipating  radiation from the sun than inanimate matter is. It's necessary for us to even be talking about it, but I don't consider it to be "sacred" or anything. Preferable, wonderful, and hopefully meaningful, but not part of some hierarchy that must be followed.

The moon mission showed how far we could walk, how far we could reach into the infinite gap of space that lies above our atmosphere.

Or rather how close the first steps were, since we certainly have the ability to walk farther. Also, we don't know that the universe is infinite.

Ah, that explains your attitude about theory. Science is NOT about answers, it's about the best supported explanations. That's what a theory is, the explanation for a set of phenomena, backed by supportive evidence and mathematical models of the behavior.

Think about it. What do you do when you think you've found an "answer"? You stop looking.

With a theory, it's constantly being looked at and tested and challenged with new observations and experiments. A theory can change when new evidence show it needs to. It's the only way to be sure we're not fooling ourselves into thinking we've found an "answer". Phlogiston was a theory, and we should be glad nobody treated it like an "answer".

What scientific "answers" have you found so far?

51 minutes ago, Airbrush said:

Improve the situation for humanity on earth with less population.

That is the most logical way. But it isnt feasibly possible. Too many constraints

I'm tired. I'm too inexperienced to argue with Phil here. But my view stands. I'll take some efforts to improve the situation myself. If its already improving, fine. I don't really care. That's not why I'm a scientist afterall.

On 10/10/2019 at 4:24 PM, NoIdentificationProvided said:

It is mathematics. If you start from low base e.g. variable x=1, then growth by 1 to x=2 is 100% increase. Huge! Then growth from 2 to 3 is just 50% increase. Then increase from e.g. 100 to 101 is just 1% increase.

Start improvement from yourself. If the rest of people will do the same, then we will have global improvement of humanity.

Do you have smartphone, tablet, computer, laptop? (obviously yes!) Write app for it. Instead of buying and/or downloading ready one from store. During development of some app, you will see how much you did not know.. You will gain a lot of knowledge. Every day, one project. Or if you are slow learner, every week, one project.

Get Arduino or other microcontroller. Build electronic device by yourself. Program it so you will be able to remote control it from your smartphone and/or tablet through Bluetooth and/or WiFi. e.g. read temperature and/or pressure from environment and store on SD/SDHC card, every second in CSV file with time read from real-time clock, with Bluetooth connection to it to download file from SD/SDHC. Later you will be able to load it in OpenOffice Spread Sheet and/or Excel, and analyze gathered data. Every week, one project.

I'm tired. I'm too inexperienced to argue with Phil here. But my view stands. I'll take some efforts to improve the situation myself. If its already improving, fine. I don't really care. That's not why I'm a scientist afterall.

What kind of scientist are you?

Just now, Sensei said:

It is mathematics. If you start from low base e.g. variable x=1, then growth by 1 to x=2 is 100% increase. Huge! Then growth from 2 to 3 is just 50% increase. Then increase from e.g. 100 to 101 is just 1% increase.

Start improvement from yourself. If the rest of people will do the same, then we will have global improvement of humanity.

Do you have smartphone, tablet, computer, laptop? (obviously yes!) Write app for it. Instead of buying and/or downloading ready one from store. During development of some app, you will see how much you did not know.. You will gain a lot of knowledge. Every day, one project. Or if you are slow learner, every week, one project.

Get Arduino or other microcontroller. Build electronic device by yourself. Program it so you will be able to remote control it from your smartphone and/or tablet through Bluetooth and/or WiFi. e.g. read temperature and/or pressure from environment and store on SD/SDHC card, every second in CSV file with time read from real-time clock, with Bluetooth connection to it to download file from SD/SDHC. Later you will be able to load it in OpenOffice Spread Sheet and/or Excel, and analyze gathered data. Every week, one project.

Sadly, improving this generation does not fall in line with my goals. Not that I don't make efforts to improve, but what I improve on is not going to be of much use to a whole generation. But the people it's for would hopefully appreciate it. 

Thank you for the advice by the way.

I see you struggled with your English there. May I inquire your nationality?

11 minutes ago, zapatos said:

What kind of scientist are you?

I don't understand the question.

Do you mean my field or beliefs?

15 hours ago, NoIdentificationProvided said:

I'm tired. I'm too inexperienced to argue with Phil here. But my view stands.

I've nodded at parts of that view, and shaken my head at others. To do that, I had to take my fingers out of my ears and listen. 

We can argue, but I'd rather have a discussion, where reason is persuasive.