When will politicians learn the difference between spending and investment ?

studiot

31 minutes ago, studiot said:

Do you not think they have confused many voters with their misuse of these terms?

I suspect they are well aware of the differences. Whether they care depends on how they want to sell it. If they do it, it is a necessary investment for the betterment of all. If others do it, it is vulgar spending. 

19 minutes ago, J.C.MacSwell said:

When the people recognize the difference.

More precisely, when the people care about the difference. 

Most people just don’t pay attention. They’re busy living life and not watching all the intricate policy nuances or messaging subtleties. 

A similar problem exists where people don’t grasp the difference between deficit and debt. 

16 minutes ago, iNow said:

Most people just don’t pay attention. They’re busy living life and not watching all the intricate policy nuances or messaging subtleties. 

A similar problem exists where people don’t grasp the difference between deficit and debt. 

Agree. Much better stated.

4 hours ago, studiot said:

Got it all into the title.

When will politicians learn the difference between spending and investment ?

Yeah, a lack of investment in infrastructure is what gets me. Regions boom with it and wither without.

10 hours ago, iNow said:

Sadly, one usually leads to the other.

10 hours ago, iNow said:

I agree most don't stop to consider the difference unless asked but then (my experience, straw poll only)

But many middle managers in many walks of life ape the utterances of the high and mighty to justify their own inappropriate policies or responses to inappropriate directives from top management.

We need better examples from the top down.

8 hours ago, Endy0816 said:

Yeah, a lack of investment in infrastructure is what gets me. Regions boom with it and wither without.

I couldn't agree more. +1

Water is a prime example.
We all to often see pictures of flooding on our UK screens, followed by bleats from the water industry that we are 'running out of water'.

"When will politicians learn the difference between spending and investment ?"

About the same time that they worry about the long term  fate of the country rather than the next election.

So, probably never.

Just a thought- does this mean that dictators (and 1 party states- it's much the same thing ) might actually do a better job in some cases?

2 hours ago, studiot said:

I couldn't agree more. +1

Water is a prime example.
We all to often see pictures of flooding on our UK screens, followed by bleats from the water industry that we are 'running out of water'.

Yeah, from what I've seen many cities water systems are set up to push water out to sea. Retaining it and/or letting it naturally reach the water table are better routes.

Think many areas in the UK would be perfect for the large scale underground flood tunnels and reservoirs. Dechannelization and ponds could work too, but underground projects would  probably be easier in terms of public support.

1 hour ago, John Cuthber said:

Just a thought- does this mean that dictators (and 1 party states- it's much the same thing ) might actually do a better job in some cases?

Perhaps, yes. Less friction in achieving their objectives. The core question regards their objectives, and whether they’re benevolent or malevolent, then what systems are in place to add back that important friction when malevolence becomes primary.