Curly Arrow Mechanisms

ViktoriaSophiaa

22 hours ago, ViktoriaSophiaa said:

Hello. I was wondering if someone could show me (using the curly arrows) how Potassium Hydrogen Phthalate would react with NaOH to turn it into a secondary standard and then how that standardised NaOH would subsequently react with HCl?

Last night's response was rushed.

Upon rereading your opening post I wonder if you are thinking that adding some acid phthalate to sodium hydoxide turns the sodium hydroxide into a new standard solution.

That is not the case.

What you are doing is 'standardising' by titrating a sample of it against a known (stable) standard viz the phthalate.

Once you have made this measurement you know the concentration of the remaining sodium hydroxide almost as accurately as that of the calibrating phthalate.

The solution of phthalate plus hydroxide that results from your titration is not the new standard solution.

This new standard solution contains only sodium hydroxide (and water) and reacts with hdrochloric acid in its usual way.

On 10/5/2019 at 4:01 PM, BabcockHall said:

Why don't you start by posting your attempt?  Then we can help you.  Hint:  curved arrow notation describes the flow of electrons, not nuclei. 

This was my attempt, though I’m sure it’s wrong because I can’t work out where the Na would go!

049EE840-3F2B-47EA-B083-57095A480C22.jpeg

Edited by ViktoriaSophiaa

54 minutes ago, ViktoriaSophiaa said:

though I’m sure it’s wrong because I can’t work out where the Na would go!

Pity you didn't say this before

Shows the wisdom to telling us your working.

No it's not wrong, it's just not finished.

So hold your nerve and keep going as HyperI says.