A self propelled frisbee?

Moontanman

5 hours ago, studiot said:

I've read some of his stuff, he is a hack, but the flying frisbee seems to represent a scary possibility... Or even a couple of them... 

Interesting, but what's with the no stagnation point claim?

It also has a pretty poor aspect ratio, so claims of efficiency are dubious.

Pretty cool maneuverability though it is a small model.

Looks like the proverbial UFO.

Edited by J.C.MacSwell

1 hour ago, J.C.MacSwell said:

Interesting, but what's with the no stagnation point claim?

It also has a pretty poor aspect ratio, so claims of efficiency are dubious.

Pretty cool maneuverability though it is a small model.

Looks like the proverbial UFO.

I honestly didn't mean for this to be compared to a UFO, since this is identified, and I know the title said Flying Saucer but this is about as close to a actual flying "Saucer" I have ever seen. The flying ability was what really caught my eye, I've seen lots of round flying machines but they never performed anything close to this!

The US Air Force tried to develop a saucer shaped craft and failed miserably. A bit more development and this would a fiercely dangerous flying machine eve if it was a drone. Hard to shoot down something that can move like that. 

The wind tunnel tests were impressive to me but I didn't really know any better... 

Now having said that I have noticed it does seem to tend to move like flying saucers have been said to move in a falling leaf like motion when descending. Just a coincidence I am sure but still wild. 

If a real full size version of this was developed I think it would give modern fighter jets a run for their money... 

Ohyeah, did you notice the internal rotating part that serves as a gyroscope to stabilize it? I have been told a hundred times that not matter what spin seems to do for a frisbee it wouldn't have that effect on a flaying disc... I'm surprised it didn't have counter rotating parts...  

Edited by Moontanman

4 minutes ago, Moontanman said:

I honestly didn't mean for this to be compared to a UFO, since this is identified, and I know the title said Flying Saucer but this is about as close to a actual flying "Saucer" I have ever seen. The flying ability was what really caught my eye, I've seen lots of round flying machines but they never performed anything close to this!

The US Air Force tried to develop a saucer shaped craft and failed miserably. A bit more development and this would a fiercely dangerous flying machine eve if it was a drone. Hard to shoot down something that can move like that. 

The wind tunnel tests were impressive to me but I didn't really know any better... 

Now having said that I have noticed it does seem to tend to move like flying saucers have been said to move in a falling leaf like motion when descending. Just a coincidence I am sure but still wild. 

If a real full size version of this was developed I think it would give modern fighter jets a run for their money... 

Don't forget the cube square law as it relates to this model. The lift goes up with squaring of the scale but the weight, which tends with volume when it does well, goes with getting cubed.

So a full size version won't respond the same way...you would have to fast forward the video. 

1 minute ago, J.C.MacSwell said:

Don't forget the cube square law as it relates to this model. The lift goes up with squaring of the scale but the weight, which tends with volume when it does well, goes with getting cubed.

So a full size version won't respond the same way...you would have to fast forward the video. 

I was wondering if the cube square law would screw up a full sized version but even as a small drone it is still impressive. Have you seen those coordinated drone shows they put on it china recently? They were beautiful but when you thought of them in a military way they were ominous... 

1 minute ago, Moontanman said:

I was wondering if the cube square law would screw up a full sized version but even as a small drone it is still impressive. Have you seen those coordinated drone shows they put on it china recently? They were beautiful but when you thought of them in a military way they were ominous... 

I haven't. Got a link?