How do I make a coil cover half of a circle

DARK0717

How do I make a coil or a series of coil constantly move electricity as the magnet passes it in half of a circle/armature.
Do I simply make an oval shaped coil that covers the area I needed cover, or do I make a series of coil?
Think of it like a motor but instead, the coils are only on half of the armature.

Edited by DARK0717

2 minutes ago, DARK0717 said:

How do I make a coil or a series of coil constantly move electricity as the magnet passes it in half of a circle/armature.
Do I simply make an oval shaped coil that covers the area I needed cover, or do I make a series of coil?
Think of it like a motor but instead, the coils are only on half of the armature.

A diagram to explain what you mean would be helpful.

Thank you for the picture.

I'm sorry to have to tell you that that is not a good configuration.

The purpose of any coil is to concentrate the field inside the coil, ie within the windings.

So your arrangement would be the worst possible place for any interaction between the coil and the magnet.

Do you want the coils to be able to 'track' the position of the magnet on the half circle or is a response current at everywhere required?

53 minutes ago, studiot said:

A diagram to explain what you mean would be helpful.

not track the magnet, the magnet rotates. It will act like a motor. I just wanna know what is the best way to put the coils around half of the armature and not the whole thing like a motor.

Edited by DARK0717

2 minutes ago, DARK0717 said:

not track the magnet, the magnet rotates. It will act like a motor. I just wanna know what is the best way to put the coils around half of the armature and not the whole thing like a motor.

I guess "best" depends on what you are trying to achieve. If it is a motor, then perhaps looking at simple motor and cutting it in half (not literally) would be the obvious route. 

6 minutes ago, Strange said:

I guess "best" depends on what you are trying to achieve. If it is a motor, then perhaps looking at simple motor and cutting it in half (not literally) would be the obvious route. 

Im trying to make an electricity pulse

7 minutes ago, DARK0717 said:

OK, that's clear.

Here is a very quick sketch of how such a motor works.

The first bit shows the field of a helical coil is very similar to that of a bar magnet.
It has a North and a South pole, just like the bar magnet.

So the trick is to arrange as many small helices around you half circle as possible connected so that the present alternate North and South poles.

Such motors will 'stick' in one position and need to started by some other means.

Alternatively the current in the helix windings can be made to cycle round the half circle (switching one coil on at a time) so that the magnet always follows the opposite pole round.

stator1.jpg.34e1e0fded9de459a123d5897175c0d9.jpg

Just now, DARK0717 said:

Im trying to make an electricity pulse

Is it a motor or a generator you want?

1 minute ago, studiot said:

OK, that's clear.

Here is a very quick sketch of how such a motor works.

The first bit shows the field of a helical coil is very similar to that of a bar magnet.
It has a North and a South pole, just like the bar magnet.

So the trick is to arrange as many small helices around you half circle as possible connected so that the present alternate North and South poles.

Such motors will 'stick' in one position and need to started by some other means.

Alternatively the current in the helix windings can be made to cycle round the half circle (switching one coil on at a time) so that the magnet always follows the opposite pole round.

stator1.jpg.34e1e0fded9de459a123d5897175c0d9.jpg

can I make the N part of the coil cover the entire half of the armature and the S on the other half?

1 minute ago, Strange said:

So it's not a motor?

Technically it is a motor due to how it functions, but It is not intended to be a motor. My goal is to simply have electricity to flow while the armature is spinning on the half side

Edited by DARK0717

I would recommend an electronic circuit to generate a pulse, rather than a mechanical system. For example, a circuit that charges a large capacitor and then discharges it rapidly through a resistor, air gap, inductor, other circuit (depending what the purpose is).

Just now, DARK0717 said:

Technically it is a motor due to how it functions, but It is not intended to be a motor

A motor generates movement when you apply electric power.

A generator produces electricity from movement. You appear to want a generator.

4 minutes ago, DARK0717 said:

I dont want it to switch too rapidly

You don't want what to switch too rapidly?

And what is "too rapidly"? 1000 times a second? Once per week?

2 minutes ago, Strange said:

I would recommend an electronic circuit to generate a pulse, rather than a mechanical system. For example, a circuit that charges a large capacitor and then discharges it rapidly through a resistor, air gap, inductor, other circuit (depending what the purpose is).

A motor generates movement when you apply electric power.

A generator produces electricity from movement. You appear to want a generator.

You don't want what to switch too rapidly?

And what is "too rapidly"? 1000 times a second? Once per week?

Generators, my bad.
My goal is for it to alternate its current only twice per cycle. Ex: 1st half current goes clockwise. 2nd half goes counterclockwise

11 minutes ago, DARK0717 said:

Generators, my bad.
My goal is for it to alternate its current only twice per cycle. Ex: 1st half current goes clockwise. 2nd half goes counterclockwise

That is alternating once per cycle. 

Why not one coil, end-on to the spinning bar magnet as shown in studiot's diagram?

That will generate alternate pulses in each direction. If you want a smooth waveform (a sine wave) then you need a more complex setup and some conditioning circuitry.

Is there a reason this has to be done mechanically? Are you counting rotations? 

If you say what problem you are trying to solve, it might be easier to help you.

5 minutes ago, Strange said:

That is alternating once per cycle. 

Why not one coil, end-on to the spinning bar magnet as shown in studiot's diagram?

That will generate alternate pulses in each direction. If you want a smooth waveform (a sine wave) then you need a more complex setup and some conditioning circuitry.

Is there a reason this has to be done mechanically? Are you counting rotations? 

If you say what problem you are trying to solve, it might be easier to help you.

I need the current to last as long as the armature spins on that side

11 minutes ago, DARK0717 said:

I need the current to last as long as the armature spins on that side

Why? What are you trying to achieve? What is the purpose?

Rather than asking about the solution you have thought of, it is always netter to explain the whole problem. There might be a better solution.

Why does it red to be mechanical? Does it need to be mechanical?

Why does the current (voltage) need to last for half the cycle?

5 minutes ago, Strange said:

Why? What are you trying to achieve? What is the purpose?

Rather than asking about the solution you have thought of, it is always netter to explain the whole problem. There might be a better solution.

Why does it red to be mechanical? Does it need to be mechanical?

Why does the current (voltage) need to last for half the cycle?

I dont wanna say why coz it is sure to laugh at me and ignore me coz of it.
I just want to know if there is a way to do that. The armature with the magnet on it is the only mechanical part. 

6 minutes ago, DARK0717 said:

It is mechanical

OK. Not helpful. But I will take that to mean that you have an existing rotating system that you want to generate an alternating voltage from.

Does the alternating voltage NEED to be generated by coils and magnets? Or could it use, for example, electronic sensors to detect the position of the rotor and then use an electronic circuit to generate the alternating voltage?

fine ill spill it. Dont insult me by saying im in a free energy cult coz Im doing this for real science.
My goal is to make an engine that runs on magnet pistons.
The coils are used to make an electromagnet to basically turn off the magnets in the magnet piston which results in the piston freely sliding down. As soon as the piston is at its lowest point, thats when the electromagnet turns off which then pushes it back up making the armature spin. I wanted the current to last as long as the half of the armature because thats the same distance of the piston as it compress/decompress. Of course, like all engines, there will be more than one

Edited by DARK0717

1 minute ago, DARK0717 said:

fine ill spill it. Dont insult me by saying im in a free energy cult coz Im doing this for real science.
My goal is to make an engine that runs on magnet pistons.
The coils are used to make an electromagnet to basically turn off the magnets in the magnet piston which results in the piston freely sliding down. As soon as the piston is at its lowest point, thats when the electromagnet turns off which then pushes it back up making the armature spin. I wanted the current to last as long as the half of the armature because thats the same distance of the piston as it compress/decompress. Of course, like all engines, there will be more than one

OK. I don't really understand your description. You would probably need to draw a properly detailed diagram. I will merely point out that, as you seem to be making a machine that will run without power, it is obviously impossible. That makes all attempts to help you somewhat pointless.

However, that said, I would refer you back to the drawing from studiot:

Ignore the N and S poles on the coils (that was because you said you wanted a motor).

There you have a set of coils, closely spaced, around half the path of the magnet. You will get a series of pulses from each coil. Connect them in series and you get a roughly steady current for half the cycle, then a similar slightly wobbly current in the other direction for the other half cycle.

Of course, you could put another set of coils on the other side and get twice as much current.

And, equally obviously, you are going to get less power out than it takes to rotate the magnet. 

1 minute ago, Strange said:

OK. I don't really understand your description. You would probably need to draw a properly detailed diagram. I will merely point out that, as you seem to be making a machine that will run without power, it is obviously impossible. That makes all attempts to help you somewhat pointless.

However, that said, I would refer you back to the drawing from studiot:

Ignore the N and S poles on the coils (that was because you said you wanted a motor).

There you have a set of coils, closely spaced, around half the path of the magnet. You will get a series of pulses from each coil. Connect them in series and you get a roughly steady current for half the cycle, then a similar slightly wobbly current in the other direction for the other half cycle.

Of course, you could put another set of coils on the other side and get twice as much current.

And, equally obviously, you are going to get less power out than it takes to rotate the magnet. 

How much resistance does a coil make in comparison to the repelling force of an n52 magnet