Problems booting after temp HD Installation.

Edward

I have a compaq PIII desktop computer with two HDs a FD and a CD drive installed. I needed to format another HD so I uninstalled the CD drive and replaced it with the other HD and ran FDisk from a floppy on the other HD. Then Uninstalled the other HD and reinstalled the CD drive. Now I cant boot from my original HD and once the BIOS fails other boot options I get

Non-System disk or disk error

replace and strike any key when ready

_

I have checked the boot order and there arent any prioblems there and I don't know what I should do. Any ideas?

You took out your HDD did some stuff, put it back in and now you can't boot off it?

You haven't got the "HDD failed" so, well, it's working (rocket scientist at work!)

Can I assume you have the same cable feeding into the same port on your motherboard, like IDE0 (as opposed to IDE1 or IDE2) needs to host the primary HDD with the OS on it, also I doubt you would have played with jumpers, do you have a 2nd HDD installed or just the one?

Make sure you didnt get a bit of dirt on the IDE cable that's blocking it.

I've just been saying IDE, if it isn't a IDE HDD then whatever, it applies for whichever cable you use!

Can you run a check disk or scan disk or whatever it is called on your OS when the HDD is checked for errors and such.

I'm just posting everything which comes into my head! If I think of more stuff I'll post.