How are cell homeostasis and the immune system related to lung cancer?

Brandon112

I have several questions regarding cancer causes and proliferaiton and I would like to learn more about it. For example:

Do germline mutations occur during meiosis? If that's the case, during which phase occur the DNA damage?

What genes are directly involved in cancer growth?

Why lung cancer can undergo metastases relatively faster compared to other types of cancer?

Do you think cancer is a cell based process, as stated by the Somatic Mutation Theory (SMT) or it takes place at the tissue level of a biological organization, as Tissue Oranization Field Theory implies?

• 2 weeks later...

How are (...) related to lung cancer?

When organic, and sometimes inorganic, matter is burned (alternatively "reacts with Oxygen or other oxidizer"), many intermediate molecules are formed, many with unpaired electrons. These free radicals react violently with matter. Sources of radicals in the air: smoking cigarettes, burned fossil fuel, burned trash, forest fire, plant fire, volcanic eruption etc. etc. When a person breathes, they are transported by air to the lungs, where they react with the lung cells and the molecules of the lungs. They damage cells and DNA in cells.

The easiest way to have no lung cancer is to stop smoking (and have no access to smokers), use electric cars, use solar panels and renewable energy power plants, have no smog from fire, mass-production and transportation activities. Volcanic activity cannot be easily changed.

Read free radicals website on Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radical_(chemistry)

Edited by Sensei

2 hours ago, isabelan said:

How does the inmune system reacts, when lungs are invaded with cancer?

If the immune system detected cancer cells as an enemy, it would kill them. Cancer is the body's own mutated cells. The immune system does not detect anything (or reaction is too weak), so do not pay attention to cancer cells.

One solution is to make the immune system realize that cancer cells are enemies. You can change your immune cells or cancer cells by injecting a virus that will change them, thus they will start to detect and attack cancer cells.

ps. Why are you talking specifically about the lungs?

Edited by Sensei

On 9/16/2019 at 3:37 PM, Brandon112 said:

What genes are directly involved in cancer growth?

A lot can be. The easiest to appreciate are the apopoptisis related genes.

Why lung cancer can undergo metastases relatively faster compared to other types of cancer?

Maybe the oxydative stress can be a answer ? O2 can be really oxydative.

The lung cell can be in close touch with our cadio vacular system, it can be an explanation too.

Do you think cancer is a cell based process, as stated by the Somatic Mutation Theory (SMT) or it takes place at the tissue level of a biological organization, as Tissue Oranization Field Theory implies?

I'm pretty sure than it's a mix ^^.

Seriously : I see cancer as a failure of your immune system. Cell are mutating all the time. The difference between those mutation and a cancer is the ability for our immune system to kill the mutated cells. 

I hope it helped you

PS: Excuse me for my english. I'm practising ^^

• 2 weeks later...

How important do you think is the role of homeostasis in preventing cancer to proliferate?

Isn't it curious that a process such as autophagy, which "recycles" proteins and prevents the accumulation of waste products to sustain metabolism and homeostasis, is at the same time a trigger for cancer to proliferate?