Protein Dilution

GVE

On 9/19/2019 at 5:31 PM, BabcockHall said:

This is a standard dilution problem.  You  have to show your attempt at solving the problem first.

So, if 50 microlitres shows concentration of 1,7mg/ml, then it means that 2mL would be 1,7mg/ml*2ml=3,4mg? Am I right?

The volume of extract (2 mL) does not enter into the dilution calculation itself, but it is needed for another portion of the calculation.  You need to identify the initial concentration, the initial volume, and the final volume of the dilution, in order to find the final concentration, the concentration of the diluted sample.  One thing that is a little unclear from your initial post is the interpretation of 1.7 mg/mL.  I think that it refers to the initial concentration, but I could be wrong.

Edited by BabcockHall

I am changing my mind on one thing; it may be that the value of 1.7 mg/mL refers to the final concentration of protein, meaning the concentration after dilution.  If so, then the initial concentration must be very high, possibly at or beyond the solubility limit of a particular protein.  If this is a homework exercise, then whether or not the problem is realistic from the point of view of biochemistry is secondary  to getting the mechanics of the problem correct IMO.

Edited by BabcockHall