What is justice?

dimreepr

5 minutes ago, MigL said:

Other than the Judicial System's definition of 'justice', which is an agreed upon definition by society, any other definition is purely subjective.

Isn't a judge, by definition, a dispassionate arbiter?

1 hour ago, dimreepr said:

Unfortunately there are all too often less than dispassionate people involved in the resolution of guilt...

Did you miss this?

4 minutes ago, MigL said:

Tell it to black people who get harder sentencing than whites for similar crimes.

Now your making my point for me, did you read the OP?

22 minutes ago, MigL said:

If your definition disagrees with that agreed upon by society,

It doesn't, at least not in the/a constitution.

you should attempt to explain why yours is the BETTER definition

It's a definition that attempts to define the conscept of rehabilitation, perhpaps your BETTER definition is to throw away the key?

Justice is one of those concepts which has a 'common' definition which we, as a society agree upon and ( attempt to ) enforce (fairly, but often fail to ), and also an individual subjective definition.
Same with the concept of 'rehabilitation'. What you, or I, or a Parole Officer consider 'rehabilitation' are totally different.
Do I need to quote you Red's ( Morgan Freeman ) speech to the Parole Officer in The Shawshank Redemption ?

Edited by MigL

But, by definition if it works then justice is done, the perp has learned a lesson and can safely return to our social mix, a parole officer is almost by definition designed to provide a barrier to that lesson; it's more than his job's worth.