What's the point of having a dress code stricter than business casual?

random_soldier1337

Nowadays a lot of people like to fashion themselves in a way that is less traditional. You might see men wear make up or men and women coloring their hair some color that isn't naturally possible. Since society is so free, even among serious scholars (as I see in my department), what is the point of having a strict dress code?

I imagine one doesn't want someone showing up scantily clad or maybe there is a uniform requirement to represent a certain party or for a certain type of job but there doesn't seem to be much point for specifying such at social events in places such as conferences.

2 hours ago, random_soldier1337 said:

Nowadays a lot of people like to fashion themselves in a way that is less traditional. You might see men wear make up or men and women coloring their hair some color that isn't naturally possible. Since society is so free, even among serious scholars (as I see in my department), what is the point of having a strict dress code?

I imagine one doesn't want someone showing up scantily clad or maybe there is a uniform requirement to represent a certain party or for a certain type of job but there doesn't seem to be much point for specifying such at social events in places such as conferences.

So you start by criticizing dress codes set by others, then set a dress code yourself. You 'imagine' one dress code, another person 'imagines' another. What makes yours preferable?

33 minutes ago, random_soldier1337 said:

I didn't say anything about my personal preference. I'm asking about the rules set by others and the exceptions to these rules and if in your opinion what is and is not justified.

What about your suggestion that 'business casual' being the most strict?

What's the point of having a dress code stricter than business casual?

What about your feeling that 'scantily clad' is not acceptable?

3 hours ago, random_soldier1337 said:

I imagine one doesn't want someone showing up scantily clad

Your personal preference seems to reside between business casual at the high end and scantily clad at the low end.

There is no one point.

You roll together societal norms, the preference of key individuals, image, the weather, average salary, the location, expectations of clients and customers, daily activities, exposure to others, your product, how others dress, religion, tradition and a million other factors, shake them all together and out pops a dress code.

Well put. Question still remains, at what point are the boundaries of a dress code being stretched? As one answer above said, it is to conform. When someone is following an established dress code but at the same time wearing face rings, should that count as following the dress code. In my opinion, many of them one can't instantly remove so I wouldn't fuss too much about it but another could say that it is very unbecoming and that they should never have gotten them in the first place.

but another could say that it is very unbecoming

And that's their perfectly valid opinion, but...

and that they should never have gotten them in the first place.

... this is none of their business. People should learn the difference.

Conformity is the main driver perhaps, but I think there's also an attempt to eliminate surprises by using a dress code. If your company says it's OK to wear piercings that can be easily removed, SOMEBODY is going to show up with huge dildo studs and gauges that play ice cream truck music. Same reason an HOA has an acceptable paint pallette as a guideline; if you don't, SOMEBODY is going to paint their whole house fuschia. Often, there''s a need to be specific and strict.