Einstein's theory of relativity and moral judgement

Hamsundan

So. I've been listening to an audiobook on Einstein's theory of relativity, introductory stuff. And in my basic knowledge of the subject direction, much like speed, is relative to the observer. If two people were on the same map but their compass key were different they both could navigate based on different directions. Could this concept be applied to people's 'moral compass'? Why does it matter in judging other people's choices or the direction they take if our destination is the same?

34 minutes ago, Hamsundan said:

Why does it matter in judging other people's choices or the direction they take if our destination is the same?

It doesn't, unless they try to suggest precision bombing only kills the bad guys.

Edited by dimreepr

A destination can often be reached by more than one route; some routes are preferable to others.
Some routes are actually harmful to one or many.

The common expression is " The end doesn't justify the means"

A lot of people with very lofty goals have committed atrocities throughout history, to achieve those goals.

Also why is this in Relativity ?
It has nothing to do with Einstein's Relativity.
Should be in Philosophy oor Ethics.

16 hours ago, Art Man said:

Morality isn't a location so much as a record of actions on a linear path. You do something good or bad and it can't be undone.

What's your point?

7 hours ago, Hamsundan said:

Is death not our shared fate? Right now is all ... simulation. Do actions have any significance if there is no record of them?

Your actions do...

Besides causality dictates that they do; why else do time travelers have to sit through the safety briefing?

Are you just looking for a free pass to be hedonistic? 

Our moral compass is built in and(when not broken) is self referencing, so while you are free to ignor it's direction, your not free to ignor the consequences.

20 hours ago, Hamsundan said:

Why does it matter in judging other people's choices or the direction they take (...)

""Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.
Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?"...

30 minutes ago, Sensei said:

""Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.
Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?"...

Indeed, I was tempted to use the same text but I'm fed up with my atheism being questioned...

4 hours ago, dimreepr said:

Are you just looking for a free pass to be hedonistic? 

Our moral compass is built in and(when not broken) is self referencing, so while you are free to ignor it's direction, your not free to ignor the consequences.

I'm trying to accept people. If you think life is meant to be lived by a specific code or set of principles then doesn't that mean there is only one correct compass? Only one way? And when you see other people acting against that, it's troubling to watch. You might say, "forget them they don't concern me." But sooner or later someone you do care about is going to do something that leaves you hurt or disappointed and then it's difficult to accept that they have the right to choose for themselves how to live their life. Even if it looks like they're headed the wrong direction.

How do you accept that people have their own right to live, to navigate through life, without shoving your opinions or beliefs in their face, and insisting that your perspective is the only perspective that won't lead them off a cliff?

7 hours ago, dimreepr said:

What's your point?

I'm not proving a point, I'm answering the questions

Could this concept be applied to people's 'moral compass'? Why does it matter in judging other people's choices or the direction they take if our destination is the same?

With

Morality isn't a location so much as a record of actions on a linear path. You do something good or bad and it can't be undone.

There is no argument to prove a point against.

15 hours ago, Hamsundan said:

Is death not our shared fate? Right now is all ... simulation. Do actions have any significance if there is no record of them?

I don't know what you're implying with the simulation comment but actions are actions and whether they are significant or not and whether they are noted and recorded or not doesn't change whether they happened or not. If you are measuring emotional significance rather than physical effect then your question might have different answers.

Emotions are subjective and can be manipulated. Actions happen and are immediately relegated to the past and cannot be manipulated once acted out.

Edited by Art Man

3 hours ago, Hamsundan said:

How do you accept that people have their own right to live, to navigate through life, without shoving your opinions or beliefs in their face, and insisting that your perspective is the only perspective that won't lead them off a cliff?

That depends on whether somebody is hurting just himself or herself, or can hurt entire community. e.g. lonely drunker, as long as not driver of a car etc. is hurting just himself but antivaxxer can cause multimillion deaths of innocent people if as a result of his or her actions microbes will mutate to much more violent form, resistant to vaccines..

Edited by Sensei