How does one represent the fourth dimension on a graph?

thethinkertank

Has anybody ever figured out how to represent the 4th dimension (in terms of x, y z and t, time,) in a graph?

If so, what shape would that graph assume?

Certainly not a typical three way graph with a fourth axis just splayed boringly and lazily across it. 

No, there is a much more innovative way of doing so and I believe I am the only one to have figured it out. 

But in case I am wrong, it would be one of only two people in history who could have also figured it out: Einstein and Swansont, that excellent intellect. 

Now, Einstein is deceased, so only swansont remains. I therefore put the question to him. 

5 minutes ago, thethinkertank said:

Has anybody ever figured out how to represent the 4th dimension (in terms of x, y z and t, time,) in a graph?

Represent the 4th dimension on a graph? Yes. But one usually only graphs a single spatial variable against it. Graph x vs t, for example.

You could also animate a graph, and show the spatial variation literally as a function of time.

But AFAIK nobody has figured out how to display a 4-D graph using 3 spatial axes.

6 minutes ago, thethinkertank said:

No, there is a much more innovative way of doing so and I believe I am the only one to have figured it out. 

!

Moderator Note

Then tell us what it is or this thread will be closed.

!

Moderator Note

This does not appear to have anything do with Quantum Theory so I have moved it to Relativity. For the moment.

1 hour ago, MigL said:

What ?
You guys don't have 4D graph paper in the US/UK ?

Yeah several layers of 2d graph paper to make a 3d stack that you continously shift layers to simulate time 😨

Lol remind ya of using a book in old animation simulations Ie flipping pages to make cartoon figures appear to move lol.

Edited by Mordred

Just now, swansont said:

Represent the 4th dimension on a graph? Yes. But one usually only graphs a single spatial variable against it. Graph x vs t, for example.

You could also animate a graph, and show the spatial variation literally as a function of time.

But AFAIK nobody has figured out how to display a 4-D graph using 3 spatial axes.

What I meant is, (a 4d graph has a different 'look' than a typical 3D one.) A unique shape. Can you deduce that shape/has it already been done? 

Just now, Strange said:
!

Moderator Note

Then tell us what it is or this thread will be closed.

I must refuse, on grounds of plaigarism. The only person I'd share my credit with for no reason is swansont, because he seems an unnaturally intelligent scientist who was born in the wrong era (if this was 1945 he would be in the history books for discovering something great like relativity)

How do I know? Ah. 

And even if I did go about sharing my credit, it would only be if swansont agreed to help me with the technical points in my theory. 

Say for instance I've discovered for the first time ever that 2+2=4, but only a mathematics phD can explain WHY it is so. So I collaborate with the mathematician. In this case, the finding of the exact shape of a 4D graph, pioneered by yours truly and swansont.

What do you say swansont?

Edited by thethinkertank

9 hours ago, thethinkertank said:

..you can do it in almost any 3D application..

Search net for "animated 3d graph" e.g.