Mech Eng Newbie

Walden

Hey Everyone,

I'm new to the forums - and have spent the last day reading threads that seemed to be in another language. I'm heading to college for my freshmen year in about 3 weeks to major in Mechanical and Biomedical engineering. I've been extremeley interested in science in school - but have not had the time to pursue it in my free time. Now that I'm finished with my job and have some free time to lounge around and read whatever I want, I'm looking into reading science and math related work. I really enjoy the stuff, but have immersed myself in classical literature for the past few years.

Basically, the point of this thread is for me to ask you who are more experienced than I what books you recommend for someone who is just beginning to realize their enfatuation with science and math. The books I'm looking for should be geared towards physics and mathematics.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It would help us to know what your current level of (math/physics) preparation is. Also, are you asking for something that'll keep you busy for the next 3 weeks ? With a short time frame it is better to pick one or two useful areas and learn them well rather than do a half-hearted job of several things. What I would recommend strongly is revising basic math and physics. Only if you are confident in your fundamentals should you move to new stuff.

All the best for your college term. :)

I wasn't thinking about learning about this stuff for the next 3 weeks, I was thinking more in the area of the next 30 years. :) - I just want somewhere to start. Everyone has to start somewhere, right?

Anyway - I will be entered "Calculus in 3D" this Fall (I'm guessing this is the same as multivariable calculus). I've taken basic newtonian physics and also a physics course in electromagnetism. I've elected to retake Physics to gain a better fundamental understanding in it before moving on.

So that's where I stand. Suggestions? :)

If you've gone through basic calculus, and a year of physics and electromagnetics,

Why not prepare to move into Partial Differential Equations?

You will have already been exposed to basic Differential Equations, but for a solid physics background you need to put time in on these.

Differential Equations with Applications and Historical Notes by Simmons is a good opener.

Then try Partial Differential Equations Basic Theory by Taylor.

These things flow naturally out of Multivariable Calculus. For a good extra textbook on that try Calculus of Several Variables by Lang, and follow up with

Multivariable Analysis by G. Bailey Price.

On the regular Calculus you need to fill out your theoretical understanding with

A Primer of Infinitesimal Analysis by Bell,

then expand in the direction of:

Laplace and Fourier Transforms for Electrical Engineers by Craig,

then see if you can go past that into

A Primer of Lebesgue Integration by Bear.

Now on the Quantum Mechanics side, you'll need to pick up some

Linear Algebra with Applications (any good used textbook),

and add to that a good introduction to Group Theory.

For actual textbooks on Quantum Mechanics start with something light like:

Introduction to Quantum Mechanics by H. Smith. Your main textbook in a course will be something like:

Relativistic Quantum Mechanics by Strange. (or a less advanced tome).

Many of these can be borrowed from your University or local library on an as needed basis.

Grab as many popular books on quantum mechanics, relativity and cosmology that you can to keep up your interest in wading through the math.

Also fill out your historical background as much as you can using gems like:

Black-Body Theory and the Quantum Discontinuity by Kuhn,

Dreams of a Final Theory by Weinberg etc.

and Quantum Reality by Herbert. (there will be dozens of these in the library).

Finally don't neglect your other math interests to keep your mind sharp:

Knot Theory, Topology, Chess.

Great! Thanks so much. Looks as though I'll be making some trips to the library. I will probably have to review my calc fundamentals - and yes, I've been exposed to some basic Differential Equations.

Thanks again.

EDIT: Will these Quantum Mechanics books be too advanced for me? Maybe I should read some more books on the fundamentals (Newton, EM).

Walden, dude, your last 3 weeks before engineering school should all be all fun man.

Smoke pot, get drunk, get laid brother. Seriously once you get into school fun time is freaking over for like the next 4 years, especially if you take summer courses. Who cares about getting a bit ahead in 3 weeks I had a 4.0 in engineering school and I didn't do crap during the summer but the above. IF you're thinking about studying during your free time in engineering school, your best bet is just to take more classes instead till you dont have free time to spend on other stuff.

Bro before you think im some sort of moron, I had a 4.0 I graduated in 3 years, have an applied math minor, lots of grad credit and I'm in the honors college as well as having won many awards during my time. Same major as you, but damn bro you still need to have fun.

The past 4 years have been fun. This summer has been nothing but. But when there's nothing to do, I'd rather start reading something than watch television. This isn't to try to "get ahead," or anything like that - I'm just interested in the stuff.

If you're really interested in Mech engineering I'll help you out for something thats a lot more fun than reading books and will be a lot more useful to you

Pick an interest you have, I dont know what you're into but you know, cars, bikes, carpentry, whatever is fun. Now think about some sort of device or machine that can help you in that hobby. Draw up a plan on how to make it, get some ideas with research, get creative on how to build it, and go make it.

For example, I wanted a hammock in my backyard, so I drew up plans on what I wanted, read about them on the net, went to home depot, got the crap and built it. I failed miserably the first time, so I tried again with a better plan in mind.

Another example, I wanted a vaporizer for smoking pot, so I read about them on the net, got some ideas on what I wanted, went dumpster diving and get some parts from home depot, and walla, vaporizer.

This kind of mini project will teach you some much more about Mech Eng since you're new than any book could. Just remember to draw up the plans, be formal, count costs as you go, and have fun with it. Plus its so much more rewarding and best of all you get something useful out of it. Reading about a whole lot of equations and stuff is what you do in classes, but if you really wanna know the best part of being ME its designing a part, and making it.

Before this starts turning into a debate on pot, lets get back to my topic. (yes, its all about ME!)

I have been digging around, thinking about various projects to start up with a friend of mine. I haven't come up with anything good yet. Apart from actually thinking of something good, it also costs money to make whatever I think up. Any ideas on what I should build?

Also, I'm interested in the pure theory behind the mechanics - thats why I want to read.

"Also, I'm interested in the pure theory behind the mechanics - thats why I want to read."

Thats completely fine, but at school you're going to do so much of pure theory anyway you're going to be saturated by it. If you listen to me, when you get there, you can have some perspective because you actually went through all the steps before.

About some ideas, I mean there's so much you could do that could be beneficial its hard to pick something. One thing you MIGHT be able to pull off is build your own heater+humidifier. It'll help you when you get into your thermo and heat transfer classes.

Most of all, try to keep it REALLY basic, and stay really formal, make sure you draw up everything. Try to figure out as much as you can by yourself before you ask for help, it'll stick better plus it'll teach the joys of research. I dunno what you background is like, or what your hobbies are, so I dont know what you know, just make sure you don't go nuts with rare materials or power consumption.

If you need money and ideas, ask your parents if they need something done around the house. That way, they can fund you and you'll definetly earn some brownie points.

** Don't kill yourself, so whatever you decide to do put it up here and im sure someone, even me, might help you out in staying safe.

"Its amazing what some people think excuses them from being a moron. Yeah. Smoking pot will help immensely when trying to learn mathematical concepts. (?) "

Thats not what I said, and I guess I could come off as a moron if you claim that I say things I didn't say.

Well, I was looking into making a Gauss Rifle or a SpudGun, just for starters. I thought it'd be pretty cool to change specific things to try to get a larger shooting distance (and maybe work on the percision too). What do you think?

How about an efficient steam engine?

Maybe with a twist, like a Wankel Rotary design, or some kind of ball/cylinder thing? Then again home holography projects are nice, and lasers and stuff are getting cheap.

Do you like audio? I could help you design and build an awesome tube amp.