Optics question

Deniz Sümer

Hello.

I'd like to know if there is a way to make a certain image appear as if it's coming from a very great distance, preferably using mirrors. Think of it as if you're looking at a movie on a small tablet but it's the size of a big wall and appears to be far away in the horizon.

The one way I can think of is to make something like the holographic sights and have the light direction from the image somehow come to the window completely parallel, that way it can appear to come from an infinite distance and trick the eye by creating the illusion of depth, but I don't know if it would work on that big of a scale or create any visual problems.

Please let me know if there are other techniques for this.

holographic sight.jpg

9 minutes ago, Deniz Sümer said:

Then they would appear small rather than distant. You should check out the holographic images on holosights to get a better idea on what I mean.

If you have an image of a person, 1.8 m tall, and the image is 1.75m tall, it will not appear to be very far away. If it’s 10 cm tall, it will (or at least it can). It needs to subtend a small angle.

Do things on the horizon look big, or small?

2 minutes ago, swansont said:

If you have an image of a person, 1.8 m tall, and the image is 1.75m tall, it will not appear to be very far away. If it’s 10 cm tall, it will (or at least it can). It needs to subtend a small angle.

Do things on the horizon look big, or small?

They look small and very distant rather than small and very close. Did you check the holosights?

On 9/8/2019 at 6:56 PM, Deniz Sümer said:

They look small and very distant rather than small and very close. Did you check the holosights?

You'll probably want to look into binocular vision and depth perception. Without, you can hazard a guess from context, but if something is proportionally larger or smaller than expected you can have an issue.

Easiest thing to increase the apparent distance would be a concave lens. Flat mirrors alone could work, but you would need to increase the distance the light has to travel. Could move mirrors apart or reflect the image multiple times.

Barber-shop-commercial-design-full-size-wall-mirrors-with-polishing-supplied-and-installed-in-Northern-ireland.png.71dd5a5b04cc95a959f28e7e4548c8b7.png

12 hours ago, Endy0816 said:

You'll probably want to look into binocular vision and depth perception. Without, you can hazard a guess from context, but if something is proportionally larger or smaller than expected you can have an issue.

Easiest thing to increase the apparent distance would be a concave lens. Flat mirrors alone could work, but you would need to increase the distance the light has to travel. Could move mirrors apart or reflect the image multiple times.

Barber-shop-commercial-design-full-size-wall-mirrors-with-polishing-supplied-and-installed-in-Northern-ireland.png.71dd5a5b04cc95a959f28e7e4548c8b7.png

With the mirrors, I had an idea like this: A small image is bounced off using a set of distant small mirrors to create the illusion of a huge distance, then two concave lenses enlarge the image back to a big one (Image is enarged back by lenses to avoid using huge mirrors on every bounce).

Would something like this work?

projection distant.png

13 hours ago, Deniz Sümer said:

With the mirrors, I had an idea like this: A small image is bounced off using a set of distant small mirrors to create the illusion of a huge distance, then two concave lenses enlarge the image back to a big one (Image is enarged back by lenses to avoid using huge mirrors on every bounce).

Would something like this work?

projection distant.png

I think resulting image of the picture would look much as you have here, albeit dimmer. Not sure that is what you are asking for though.

To clarify are you wanting it to appear 3D?

Edited by Endy0816

5 hours ago, Endy0816 said:

I think resulting image of the picture would look much as you have here, albeit dimmer. Not sure that is what you are asking for though.

To clarify are you wanting it to appear 3D?

Nope, just distant, big and 2d. I'm planning to use it with a tablet screen with a video.