HP Notebook pre-installed Windows 10 S

Art Man

My previous laptop had Windows 10 Home pre-installed and that version was trash but this Windows 10 S  has an even worse discrepancy, you cannot access apps that are part of the operating system until you "switch out your Windows at the Store". I tried to open regedit and the error message is "For security and performance, this mode of Windows only runs verified apps from the store." "Still want to run this unverified app? see how"

You press "see how" and you get linked to the Microsoft store. Im trying to avoid linking to the web or activating wifi, in fact I was entering regedit to disable my wireless card. What a hypocrisy.

(regedit is part of the windows operating system but you cant use regedit because windows cannot verify it)

I turned on developer mode and that didn't unblock regedit.

The explanation is that 10 S mode is the safest way to operate windows as malware cannot be installed no matter what. Thats great, nice idea, but disable regedit and Word/Office because I dont want the use the internet? Since when did Word and the internet become so inseparably entwined? I will stick to notepad.

Windows was awesome years ago but now this junk has gotten out of hand. 

Edited by Art Man

1 hour ago, Art Man said:

I figured as much. Updating this can be risky as I must use wifi because I dont have a landline modem. 

I did the switch from Windows 10 S(tupid) to Windows 10 Home, accepted all updates and downloads, all this through wifi. Then immediatey disabled the Realtek wireless adapter. Now wifi is disabled, cannot randomly activate but I want to corrupt the wireless so that there is no possibility at all of a connection. I might remove the card physically but they dont make that so easy anymore, I tried that once on a laptop three years ago and the damn thing was impossible to remove without damaging the computer. No internet connection. Like 1992 all over again.

Edited by Art Man

• 2 months later...

I have one laptop with a broken touchscreen.
It is almost impossible to navigate the mouse without spurious 'clicks' opening all sorts of windows.
I usually put it in the freezer for a while, which renders the touchscreen insensitive, then I navigate to the Device Manager and disable the Human Interface device. This makes the laptop fully useable using the trackpad and buttons.

Until the next major Windows update, which re-enables it !
Is it just me, or does anybody else wanna strangle Bill Gates ?

49 minutes ago, MigL said:

I usually put it in the freezer for a while, which renders the touchscreen insensitive, then I navigate to the Device Manager and disable the Human Interface device. This makes the laptop fully useable using the trackpad and buttons.

Try using e.g. SysInternals to figure out which registry key is modified when you change this settings in UI. Export the right registry to file. And add re-adding registry key each time comp is started (launch it by adding key (path to script) to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run).

On 9/3/2019 at 2:05 AM, Art Man said:

I figured as much. Updating this can be risky as I must use wifi because I dont have a landline modem. 

Get a vpn. s mode appears to not be a normal version of windows and likely for a specific market that requires it to be locked down the way it is.

Edited by StringJunky

7 hours ago, MigL said:

Is it just me, or does anybody else wanna strangle Bill Gates ?

Just an aside, Bill Gates’ last full day at M$ was over 11 years ago now, and he formally left nearly 6 years ago when Satya Nadella took over.
[/pedantry] I return you now to your previously scheduled program. :)

• 4 months later...

Just go to the Windows store and download the free "S switch".  This immediately shuts off S mode.  I did this with my HP laptop with Windows 10 S.  You do not need to do anything with other computer system files.  Once you do this, which takes all of 5 minutes, you can load any app.  I loaded open office, thunderbird, firefox, duckduckgo, VLC media player and lots of other stuff that I prefer.