American Cheese

studiot

On 8/31/2019 at 1:32 PM, studiot said:

I wasn't aware that there is currently an EU tariff of up to £60 per kilogramme on US cheese.

I really would like to taste some of the good stuff-  any recommendations?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-48915578

I recommend that you do not eat Easy Cheez American cheese, I tried it yesterday and gagged on the taste of paint can flavor mixed with a hint of construction site stale sawdust flavor. Worst cheese experience of my life. It didn't taste like cheese and wasn't a dairy product in the least.

Edited by Art Man

6 hours ago, Art Man said:

I recommend that you do not eat Easy Cheez American cheese, I tried it yesterday and gagged on the taste of paint can flavor mixed with a hint of construction site stale sawdust flavor. Worst cheese experience of my life. It didn't taste like cheese and wasn't a dairy product in the least.

If it comes out of a can I'd avoid it too.

Slices are definitely tasty on burgers. I've always felt rest of the world got all the good cheeses though. Swiss and provolone are my go-to's.

On 9/13/2019 at 5:54 PM, CharonY said:

To be fair, the can is a big hint, isn't it?

To be fair, 40 years ago my favorite cheese sandwhich came out of a jar; if the taste test depends on the container, I guess Heinz are fucked; but if it depends on the process, I'm not sure of the difference

On 9/11/2019 at 1:13 PM, Art Man said:

We always have a can of Easy Cheez in our house. Of course the only thing we use it for is coating the pills we have to get the dogs to eat. Works great for that!

WOW ! You guys have cheese shows in the UK ?
If they allow tasting at all the exhibits, I'd be constipated for a week.
( love cheese; a nice Parm. Reggiano, some crusty Italian bread, a good bottle of red wine, and I'm in heaven )

Cheez Whiz was originally made in the UK, but found it's way into the US market after WW2. It's not really cheese, but nevertheless it's concocted from whey (a protein byproduct of milk), oil, sodium-heavy flavorings and other ingredients that make it yellow and shelf-stable.

It's not very nutritious, but it tastes okay and kids like it. I really like it on celery sticks. Oddly enough, it's quite good with peanut butter in sandwiches too.

Kraft Dinner on the other hand is horrible these days. I'm not sure when they changed the formula, but it used to be really creamy and cheezy, but now it tastes like chemical mush.

So Annie's it is, especially the white cheddar.

• 2 weeks later...