Moon samples

Danijel Gorupec

33 minutes ago, Danijel Gorupec said:

I read today that some samples retrieved from Moon by Apollo missions were sealed and never examined. Is this true? What is the rationale for such decision?

One possibility: preserve samples for testing that didn’t exist ca. 1970. If you don’t seal them they could become contaminated.

38 minutes ago, Danijel Gorupec said:

I read today that some samples retrieved from Moon by Apollo missions were sealed and never examined. Is this true? What is the rationale for such decision?

One reason; only use as much as needed for each experiment, keeping samples for later developments of new technologies and new ideas and needs.

Compared with Apollo-era tech, today's science instruments are much more sensitive, Zeigler noted.

"We can do more with a milligram than we could do with a gram back then. So it was really good planning on their part to wait," he said.

https://phys.org/news/2019-06-nasa-moon-samples-apollo-missions.html

Edited by Ghideon
x-post with @swansont

Hmm "...for the first time in decades, NASA is about to open some of the pristine samples..."

Is it possible that 'in decades' there was no single technological advancements worth it? I would be expecting that each time a technological progress is made, some amount of samples get unsealed and examined.

I think I would be more generous toward scientists regarding sample quantities. First, samples can get destroyed or contaminated (accidentally or by an intentional attack). Second, I would expect new missions to bring new samples (I don't think NASA planned not to have a mission for 50 years).

Anyway, it seems to me that waiting so long was sub-optimal. What do you think?

3 hours ago, Danijel Gorupec said:

Hmm "...for the first time in decades, NASA is about to open some of the pristine samples..."

Is it possible that 'in decades' there was no single technological advancements worth it? I would be expecting that each time a technological progress is made, some amount of samples get unsealed and examined.

I think I would be more generous toward scientists regarding sample quantities. First, samples can get destroyed or contaminated (accidentally or by an intentional attack). Second, I would expect new missions to bring new samples (I don't think NASA planned not to have a mission for 50 years).

Anyway, it seems to me that waiting so long was sub-optimal. What do you think?

They mention a smaller vault with returned samples that were previously loaned out.

If memory serves they brought back and awful lot of material in total.

20 minutes ago, Endy0816 said:

They mention a smaller vault with returned samples that were previously loaned out.

If memory serves they brought back and awful lot of material in total.

Moon rock

The Apollo missions brought back 2200 samples weighing 382 kilograms (842 lb). The Russians have brought back 301grams (10.6 oz) from three sample return missions.

Also important to note, there have been more than 370 lunar meteorite finds, mainly in Antarctica, Northern Africa, and Oman, with a mass of over 190 kilograms (420 lb).

I'm pretty sure the Queen was given some moon samples as a gift, about 3 grains or something.

On 8/31/2019 at 7:39 PM, Curious layman said:

Moon rock

The Apollo missions brought back 2200 samples weighing 382 kilograms (842 lb). The Russians have brought back 301grams (10.6 oz) from three sample return missions.

Also important to note, there have been more than 370 lunar meteorite finds, mainly in Antarctica, Northern Africa, and Oman, with a mass of over 190 kilograms (420 lb).

I'm pretty sure the Queen was given some moon samples as a gift, about 3 grains or something.

Yeah many would have been contaminated by our atmosphere but that should still leave a ton for this and future experiments.