Why am I handsome?

anaccountnow

1 hour ago, anaccountnow said:

I don't want to be childish.

Ok.

I ask because I wonder if it is purely a luck thing or there are other influences

The physical appearance of an individual is influenced by a number of things. And other individuals opinion about the physical appearance of a specific individual may be affected by many things. But is there a mainstream scientific standard for how "handsome" someone is? What properties would such a measure contain?

I wonder what twins that grow up separately in other environments and families look like.

How is that related to the question in the title?  

Edited by Ghideon
grammar

21 hours ago, anaccountnow said:

I ask because I wonder if it is purely a luck thing

Yes.

20 hours ago, Ghideon said:
21 hours ago, anaccountnow said:

I wonder what twins that grow up separately in other environments and families look like.

How is that related to the question in the title?  

I think it's clear that it relates to the OP.

Imagine to (identical) twins who are separated + go + live in different environments.

Would they grow up looking the same?

Well, clearly, not always.

One might grow up in a place with more sun and get more skin damage + wrinkles.

The other one might well think themselves lucky.

The problem, as I see it, is working out what isn't "luck"?

I guess you can choose to use sunscreen, but otherwise how you look isn't really your choice (or anyone else's).

1. Cultural preferences

2. Inherited traits

3. Confirmation bias

4. Environmental pressures

5. Dishonest friends and relatives

6. Mirror distortions

7. Misunderstood definition

8. Low standards

9. Random chance

10. Altered state of observer

38 minutes ago, John Cuthber said:

Imagine to (identical) twins who are separated + go + live in different environments.
Would they grow up looking the same?
Well, clearly, not always.
One might grow up in a place with more sun and get more skin damage + wrinkles.
The other one might well think themselves lucky.
The problem, as I see it, is working out what isn't "luck"?
I guess you can choose to use sunscreen, but otherwise how you look isn't really your choice (or anyone else's).

I totally agree, twins having very similar genes* but growing up under different conditions will of course look different.
I just did not see the connection that potentially different looks results in different levels of "handsomeness". But of course it could do so.

One naive answer to "why am I handsome?": "You are lucky to be, or have been able to place yourself into, a context where your appearance is appreciated and you are considered handsome." But that does not really add anything to what Phi already said using good examples.

*) so that they would have looked very similar had they not been put into different conditions.

Just an observation looking back some 40 years ago when I was a teen and such things seemed important, all it took was one socially respected observer to proclaim any cosmetically challenged person as being a "Hot guy" or a "Foxy chick" and that persons image to those in the vicinity was miraculously changed.  

Why am I handsome?

...that is debatable.. show photo.. so we could judge..

People who are truly beautiful are ordinary i.e. they have not too large nose, nor too small nose, not too large ears, nor too small ears.. etc. etc. basically the all elements match each other.. Their properties are average. Average means harmony. Not a single element is mismatching, disturbing harmony.

Harmony is beautiful.

Too close relations of people taking marriage (e.g. small community, in small village) results in inbreeding.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inbreeding

Solution to prevent inbreeding is multi-national multi-continental marriages.

If you look at nationality of parents, grandparents and grand-grandparents, of many beautiful Hollywood actors and actress, they have each (grand)grandparent from different region of the world..

6 hours ago, Sensei said:

People who are truly beautiful are ordinary i.e. they have not too large nose, nor too small nose, not too large ears, nor too small ears.. etc. etc. basically the all elements match each other.. Their properties are average. Average means harmony. Not a single element is mismatching, disturbing harmony.

Harmony is beautiful.

Who knew? I looked in the mirror just now and I'm disturbingly harmonious... I'm beautiful... :D

8 minutes ago, iNow said:

It’s mostly your humility

I can't push your sarcasm back into the screen. :D On the subject of beauty, I find myself not aligned with a lot  of modern examples of it. Is this me getting old and have now-fossilized ideas of what represents a beautiful looking person.

8 minutes ago, StringJunky said:

On the subject of beauty, I find myself not aligned with a lot  of modern examples of it. Is this me getting old and have now-fossilized ideas of what represents a beautiful looking person.

Your brother may be the movie star, but you still look enough like him to be called Starkly handsome.