I bought a new laptop notebook computer today.

Art Man

I bought a cheap low end HP notebook, second one in 2 years. I'm not liking having to customize and format another computer but looks like I'm going to need to go through and delete a lot of operating code and unwanted Windows 10 garbage. It would be nice if I could delete Cortana but they seemed to have got that one covered. Windows 10 sucks ass and makes it feel like you don't even own your computer. I might get a retro Windows 7 or Windows 8 and wipe and reboot with that to avoid this pesky "everything must be accessible to Microsoft" trash. I hate you Microsoft. This is gonna take forever.

Edited by Art Man

7 hours ago, Sensei said:

....keep it off-line....

Yeah, I'm getting a message that Word will be disabled if I don't register with Microsoft in 3 days so I'm going to need to visit them at least once. Theyll probably activate some spyware when I register so I'm going to get some apps that prevent auto-updates without my permission before I let them tinker, the way its suppose to be.

I use my well compromised smartphone for my internet needs.

Edited by Art Man

14 hours ago, Art Man said:

I bought a cheap low end HP notebook, second one in 2 years. I'm not liking having to customize and format another computer but looks like I'm going to need to go through and delete a lot of operating code and unwanted Windows 10 garbage. It would be nice if I could delete Cortana but they seemed to have got that one covered. Windows 10 sucks ass and makes it feel like you don't even own your computer. I might get a retro Windows 7 or Windows 8 and wipe and reboot with that to avoid this pesky "everything must be accessible to Microsoft" trash. I hate you Microsoft. This is gonna take forever.

Or you could use Ubuntu. A fresh install online is 40 minutes and youre free of all the crap. The bad news is that Linux these days is RAM hungry too so if youre at or below 8 gigs its going to lag. 

Edited by koti

54 minutes ago, koti said:

Or you could use Ubuntu. A fresh install online is 40 minutes and youre free of all the crap. The bad news is that Linux these days is RAM hungry too so if youre at or below 8 gigs its going to lag. 

I'm going to stick with Windows.

7 minutes ago, Art Man said:

I'm going to stick with Windows.

...it feels like you don't even own your computer...

I use Windows PC's and laptops 98% of my time. When I do wire transfers or any other sensitive stuff I use a seperate cheap Ubuntu laptop. You haven't specified what your goal is.

1 hour ago, koti said:

I do fine with 4GB but I'm just reading most of the time. W10 is very easy and reliable nowadays. I haven't looked at Linux  for years but never felt complete out of the box.

1 minute ago, koti said:

I use Windows PC's and laptops 98% of my time. When I do wire transfers or any other sensitive stuff I use a seperate cheap Ubuntu laptop. You haven't specified what your goal is.

Opera browser has vpn built in.

Edited by StringJunky

30 minutes ago, koti said:

Personal data recording... offline stuff... bill records and other documents. Don't need much power or memory. Just security. Keep the drive empty and save everything on a password protected flashdrive, back that up and lock them up in a safe.

Edited by Art Man

2 minutes ago, StringJunky said:

And what's the chances of an ordinary person having a keylogger installed?

..sad to reveal it..

...extraordinary chance.. because of extraordinary incompetence at computer knowledge of ordinary person....

(so close to 100%)

ps. CIA get in computers which used to be off-line, through USB memory sticks...

Edited by Sensei

4 minutes ago, StringJunky said:

I read on tech forums that pretty much all Windows since Windows 7 have a secret keylogger code that can be difficult to find if you really want to delete it. I couldn't find it on the computer that I used last time although I spent over 12 hours trying to find the code.

Edited by Art Man

Just now, koti said:

This is my wire laptop now, ubuntu with nothing installed and used only on my internal homw wifi.

...really?

Did you write BIOS reading software which is calculating checksum and comparing with other similar laptops... ?

...if not.. you have no idea about security.. for real.. ;)

ps. Laptops with camera, have also microphone which can be turned on all the time..

ps2. Do you also have smartphone with tapes on it all the time.. ? ;)

12 minutes ago, StringJunky said:

I'm an ordinary person and I've aged 10 years in one week while explaining to the cops whats going on while not being sure if my sh*t is intact. 

4 minutes ago, Sensei said:

...really?

Did you write BIOS reading software which is calculating checksum and comparing with other similar laptops... ?

...if not.. you have no idea about security.. for real.. ;)

ps. Laptops with camera, have also microphone which can be turned on all the time..

ps2. Do you also have smartphone with tapes on it all the time.. ? ;)

If you look to the right on the pic, the mic is taped too right next to the camera.

I do not do sensitive stuff with my smartphone - ever.

I do not udermine your skills which are clearly beyond mine when it comes to IT security but dude, when youre thinking outside the box, try to know whats in the box in the first place before you drop your answer.

10 minutes ago, koti said:

I do not do sensitive stuff with my smartphone - ever.

..sorry... I can't get you...

I wrote app which is recording audio from my smartphone.. it is able to catch any sound in the next room 10 meters away with quality indistinguishable from close range.. I tried it...

:)

12 minutes ago, koti said:

I do not undermine your skills which are clearly beyond mine when it comes to IT security but dude, when youre thinking outside the box, try to know whats in the box in the first place before you drop your answer.

... you know who I am IRL, and I know who you're IRL.. see my portfolio photo.. it is not fake... do you want me to reveal your PESEL entry.. ?

4 minutes ago, Sensei said:

..sorry... I can't get you...

I wrote app which is recording audio from my smartphone.. it is able to catch any sound in the next room 10 meters away with quality indistinguishable from close range.. I tried it...

:)

Good for you. You can now listen to me, my partner and our 3 year old exchange gracious talk between us. You can do whatever you want with this, youre not getting into the wires we do on our TAPED UBUNTU laptop ;) 

30 minutes ago, Sensei said:

..sad to reveal it..

...extraordinary chance.. because of extraordinary incompetence at computer knowledge of ordinary person....

(so close to 100%)

ps. CIA get in computers which used to be off-line, through USB memory sticks...

So, 100% of people have got keyloggers. It's not CIA one should be worried about, it's ordinary thieves. You just make it seem hopeless and extraordinary when in fact ordinary security precautions, like vpn's is perfectly effective for ordinary people.

13 minutes ago, koti said:

Good for you. You can now listen to me, my partner and our 3 year old exchange gracious talk between us.

I love the all people.. especially children.. and animals...
They love me too.. they want to touch me.. and staring at me when I am looking at them..

13 minutes ago, koti said:

youre not getting into the wires we do on our TAPED UBUNTU laptop ;) 

...but I just asked whether your the all smartphones all taped the same as laptop.. if one can get to laptop.. one can get to smartphone too.. ;)

Edited by Sensei

42 minutes ago, Art Man said:

I read on tech forums that pretty much all Windows since Windows 7 have a secret keylogger code that can be difficult to find if you really want to delete it. I couldn't find it on the computer that I used last time although I spent over 12 hours trying to find the code.

They don't need one. They have Inking and Typing, which can be disabled. Apart from that, you have to draw the line somewhere otherwise you can't use a computer. Government agencies will generally have access and the OS maker, like MS. 

30 minutes ago, StringJunky said:

So, 100% of people have got keyloggers. It's not CIA one should be worried about, it's ordinary thieves. You just make it seem hopeless and extraordinary when in fact ordinary security precautions, like vpn's is perfectly effective for ordinary people.

1) reinstall OS often. Full format. From foreign OS (which flushes the all trashes including boot sector).

2) change passwords often...

3) VPN will be useless if you install software from already infected source (which you think is free of infection)...

Edited by Sensei

1 hour ago, StringJunky said:

They don't need one. They have Inking and Typing, which can be disabled. Apart from that, you have to draw the line somewhere otherwise you can't use a computer. Government agencies will generally have access and the OS maker, like MS. 

I sorta thought that the password save function and the code that runs notepad were already similar enough to a covert keylogger app that all a hacker would need to do was modify the already existing code and use that to record all the key presses. You're right that you can't let security paranoia keep you from using computers. Some hackers simply want to stop you and if they can use your uncertainty against you without actually using some deep hacks well then they'll settle for that. Ordinary people living ordinary lives shouldn't need to worry all that much.

Edited by Art Man