Control Over Desires?

Farid

2 hours ago, Curious layman said:

If it wasn't, I'd be in prison by now for stealing Ferrari's, and probably stalking as well.

The new 812 Superfast with Novitec exhaust runs shivers through my spine.

36 minutes ago, iNow said:

How do you control your desire to breathe or fall asleep? You can’t, which is why the OP needs to be more precise. 

I wouldn't call those "desires". But, I agree, that is why the OP needs to be more precise. (Not one of their strengths, unfortunately.)

46 minutes ago, Strange said:

I wouldn't call those "desires".

I had a similar thought before posting and certainly take your point ("is it right to classify an autonomic physical requirement as a desire?"). Chose to use it, though, given my own past experiences holding my breath underwater or being awake for a few days straight. My desire for a breath of air or to close my eyes for a bit of rest were rather overwhelming... uncontrollable, even. :) 

11 minutes ago, iNow said:

I had a similar thought before posting and certainly take your point ("is it right to classify an autonomic physical requirement as a desire?"). Chose to use it, though, given my own past experiences holding my breath underwater or being awake for a few days straight. My desire for a breath of air or to close my eyes for a bit of rest were rather overwhelming... uncontrollable, even. :) 

Yes, because we're able to go on a hunger strike or deliberately drown, by allowing ourselves to breath while underwater. 

I think sleep is a different question.

Edited by dimreepr

35 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

Yes, because we're able to go on a hunger strike or deliberately drown, by allowing ourselves to breath while underwater. 

We can choose to ignore the desire to breathe, but the desire itself is still there. As best I can tell, my point remains valid in the face of this reply which seems framed as a counterpoint.

17 minutes ago, Curious layman said:

Is breathing a desire though

We need the OP to clarify. They're the one who opened the thread and introduced the term(s). I'd also like clarity on what it means to "control" whatever they mean by "desire." 

• 3 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, truthseeker said:

I think this is more than possible. Otherwise we would be no different than animals.

Humans are animals. What distinction are you suggesting between us and the rest of the animal kingdom?

On 9/15/2019 at 11:49 PM, iNow said:

...what distinction are you suggesting between us and the rest of the animal kingdom?

We're smarter because we've got computers, molecular biology and most of all we got Mike Pence to guide us throught.

Of course it's possible. Otherwise we would be no different than animals; that is exactly what separate us from them. If you can refrain from your lower desires for days or weeks, this indicates that we can rise above our animalistic instincts and achieve spiritual heights in our lifetimes.

Advertising links removed per Rule 2.7

Edited by Phi for All
No advertising, please

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Strange said:

Or, as we say in English: "practice makes perfect". :)

Interesting thread here on how this is said in lots of different languages: https://forum.wordreference.com/threads/practice-makes-the-master.1973252/

I was just reading this article prior writing my reply.. ;)

Word "perfect" has bad connotations for me. Somebody "perfect" cannot being more enhanced, in contrary to "master".