Video games

Guest Flagg

Guest Flagg

Yeah hey if you all haven't noticed I'm new.....any how done with formal introduction and stuff.....Right anyhow on to the point of my thread.

In my school we are needed to do a senior project to graduate and funny enough I chose video game violence as my topic and I was just wondering what your guys and girls options are on this subject is my main question is.

Do video games cause aggression in our youth?

Your help would be much appreciated.

-Randall Flagg

it depends.... i was exposed to lots of video game violence like GTA3 when i was like 10 and all that stuff.

i was just smart enough to think its not real so it depends on the person playing the game

who knows. I didn't really play any video games as a kid, and I'm not too aggressive, except periodic random outbursts when I get really angry for little reason. My girlfriend's younger brother (7 yrs. old) plays a ton of violent computer games, and I'm talking about Medal of Honor, 1st person shooter stuff, and he's hyper, but not more violent then any other 7 year old.

How do you quantify the behavior "violent" anyway. How are you supposed to measure something like that.

Video games by no means causes aggression and violence. Pretty much every male youth (in my experience) has owned a violent video game at one time or another. Yet, none of these people (that I know of) are aggressive/violent people in any way. In fact, the violent people I grew up with weren't exposed to violence through video games, but through broken homes, bad neighbourhoods and such. On a large scale, video might aid to a residue of violence, but if somebody acts out a violent scene or is influenced by a game then that person had something wrong with him in the first place.

Video games by no means causes aggression and violence. Pretty much every male youth (in my experience) has owned a violent video game at one time or another. Yet, none of these people (that I know of) are aggressive/violent people in any way. In fact, the violent people I grew up with weren't exposed to violence through video games, but through broken homes, bad neighbourhoods and such. On a large scale, video might aid[/i'] to a residue of violence, but if somebody acts out a violent scene or is influenced by a game then that person had something wrong with him in the first place.

I agree, and i dont think video game designers should be blamed for their violent creations when it is obviously down to other factors.

I guess it's easier to pass the blame...

I don't know about in the States, but over here you can't buy 15/18+ games unless you 15/18+. So surely if the games were to fall into the wrong hands and cause a kid to shoot up a street, it's still the parents fault for a) not teaching right from wrong b) letting a child have an adult video game when he's obviously metally unstable.