Synthesis of 1-cyclopentylpropan-1-amine from cyclopentene

Joshua Law

I started with Friedel-Crafts reaction using propanoyl chloride and AlCl3, with cyclopentylpropane-1-one as a product of the first step. Then I thought about reduction of the ketone using NaBH4 and MeOH resulting into 1-cyclopentylpropane-1-ol (that's the second step). As the third step using TsCl and pyridine to create (1-chloropropyl)cyclopentane.

The problem is that everything that comes to my mind uses only 5 steps, not 6 I need. :unsure:

Yes, you're right.

I was trying to figure it out for few hours and no idea that used exactly 6 steps didn't come to my mind, only with 2 or 5. I needed badly to finish this synthesis, so I asked here and there hoping for someone solving this task. Didn't mean to present someone's work as mine, but I didn't think it was important to mention it. 

That's it.

Thanks.:)

Edited by Joshua Law

25 minutes ago, Joshua Law said:

Yes, you're right.

I was trying to figure it out for few hours and no idea that used exactly 6 steps didn't come to my mind, only with 2 or 5. I needed badly to finish this synthesis, so I asked here and there hoping for someone solving this task. Didn't mean to present someone's work as mine, but I didn't think it was important to mention it. 

That's it.

Thanks.:)

But your first attempt with 5 steps was wrong, and you still haven’t really shown that you understand why. That’s why it’s important. The person from the other forum won’t be in your exams to do them for you, so you need to understand how to get to the solution by yourself.