S-adenosyl methionine in vitro production

zkhan

I'm a student trying to produce it in lab for my capstone project. It will serve as one of the materials in my project. If you are familiar with any studies that clarify how to do so, I'd greatly appreciate it! :) Thank you

Not necessarily, although it does venture a lot into chemistry. Could you provide me with a price estimate for the cost of the project and a link to the synthesis process you have in mind? 

I just want the SAM used in my project to be as pure as possible, I've found SAM tablets, but I'm concerned with how pure they are. 

Thank you again for your help so far 

28 minutes ago, zkhan said:

Not necessarily, although it does venture a lot into chemistry. Could you provide me with a price estimate for the cost of the project and a link to the synthesis process you have in mind? 

I just want the SAM used in my project to be as pure as possible, I've found SAM tablets, but I'm concerned with how pure they are. 

Thank you again for your help so far 

Have you checked the purity? Can you not purify them? I can't give you any cost estimate not knowing where you are or what you have access to. If this is for an assessment, I am also not going to come up with or find a synthetic protocol since this is presumably your job. Happy to advise on procedures you find, but honestly, I don't think it's your best option. You would firstly have to hope you have the reagents you need in stock or be able to order them in, which may or may not be viable depending on where you are and what sort of reagents you need. You also need to be in a lab capable of performing the reactions and subsequent purification steps, as well as the training or access to someone with the training to carry out the reactions. Not to mention the time it would take, assuming it even works the first time you attempt it (chemistry often doesn't). Based on the limited information you've given, I think this is wasted effort. You are better off trying to purify the stuff you already have if it is impure, although it may be a non-issue. 

Can I ask, is this for a high school project? 

30 minutes ago, hypervalent_iodine said:

Have you checked the purity? Can you not purify them? I can't give you any cost estimate not knowing where you are or what you have access to. If this is for an assessment, I am also not going to come up with or find a synthetic protocol since this is presumably your job. Happy to advise on procedures you find, but honestly, I don't think it's your best option. You would firstly have to hope you have the reagents you need in stock or be able to order them in, which may or may not be viable depending on where you are and what sort of reagents you need. You also need to be in a lab capable of performing the reactions and subsequent purification steps, as well as the training or access to someone with the training to carry out the reactions. Not to mention the time it would take, assuming it even works the first time you attempt it (chemistry often doesn't). Based on the limited information you've given, I think this is wasted effort. You are better off trying to purify the stuff you already have if it is impure, although it may be a non-issue. 

Can I ask, is this for a high school project? 

Yes, this is a high school project. I'm currently a senior and this is my capstone project for the year. The lab I'm working in is a BSL-2 lab. And another reason for my desire to synthesize them in lab is because I'm not sure if I could totally purify them myself. So, I was hoping there might be a relatively clear and concise way to synthesize SAM via fermentation and then use the SAM synthesized in my project. This is what I've found online with regards to purchasing SAM outright and just using that in my experiment. Would you suggest these as a viable alternative, instead of synthesizing it?

https://www.sigmaaldrich.com/catalog/papers/10762064

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Spring-Valley-SAMe-Enteric-Coated-Caplets-Value-Pack-400-mg-40-count/46336875?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&wl13=5275&adid=22222222228034717219&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=m&wl3=76882799552&wl4=pla-149610495392&wl5=1015563&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=local&wl12=46336875&veh=sem&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIkYyY9p2Q5AIVIx6tBh2dlQvdEAQYCCABEgIvQ_D_BwE

And I appreciate your concern regarding the academic integrity of this question, but I assure you, I'm simply trying to find SAM that I can use for my project. If pure SAM can be purchased outright, I'd be happy to. I'm just concerned about the purity of it. This is not to say that I'm oblivious to the fact that synthesizing SAM myself in lab would be difficult, but rather I'm just trying ensure that my project is up to the highest standards. 

Thank you

26 minutes ago, zkhan said:

Yes, this is a high school project. I'm currently a senior and this is my capstone project for the year. The lab I'm working in is a BSL-2 lab. And another reason for my desire to synthesize them in lab is because I'm not sure if I could totally purify them myself. So, I was hoping there might be a relatively clear and concise way to synthesize SAM via fermentation and then use the SAM synthesized in my project. This is what I've found online with regards to purchasing SAM outright and just using that in my experiment. Would you suggest these as a viable alternative, instead of synthesizing it?

https://www.sigmaaldrich.com/catalog/papers/10762064

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Spring-Valley-SAMe-Enteric-Coated-Caplets-Value-Pack-400-mg-40-count/46336875?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&wl13=5275&adid=22222222228034717219&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=m&wl3=76882799552&wl4=pla-149610495392&wl5=1015563&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=local&wl12=46336875&veh=sem&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIkYyY9p2Q5AIVIx6tBh2dlQvdEAQYCCABEgIvQ_D_BwE

And I appreciate your concern regarding the academic integrity of this question, but I assure you, I'm simply trying to find SAM that I can use for my project. If pure SAM can be purchased outright, I'd be happy to. I'm just concerned about the purity of it. This is not to say that I'm oblivious to the fact that synthesizing SAM myself in lab would be difficult, but rather I'm just trying ensure that my project is up to the highest standards. 

Thank you

If you can't purify the tablets, how would you hope to purify the reaction products? There is a lot that goes in to synthesis beyond throwing a couple of things together. Since this is a high school experiment and you don't sound like you have a lot of experience in this, I would suggest that synthesising the compound is not feasible for you and to look at other ways to procure it. 

Certainly, you could purchase it from a supplier like Sigma, but the prices are very high (did you look at them?), and you would need to check that your school is able to purchase from them. You could look at other suppliers (Sigma is frequently overpriced), but you may still run into a cost issue in addition to the time it takes to get to you. What are you using it for? Would the other constituents of the tablet or caplet actually be a problem? 

Edit: you could possibly synthesise it through fermentation, but this might be difficult (I'm not sure of the conditions or strains you would need), and you would still need to purify the products. 

2 minutes ago, hypervalent_iodine said:

If you can't purify the tablets, how would you hope to purify the reaction products? There is a lot that goes in to synthesis beyond throwing a couple of things together. Since this is a high school experiment and you don't sound like you have a lot of experience in this, I would suggest that synthesising the compound is not feasible for you and to look at other ways to procure it. 

Certainly, you could purchase it from a supplier like Sigma, but the prices are very high (did you look at them?), and you would need to check that your school is able to purchase from them. You could look at other suppliers (Sigma is frequently overpriced), but you may still run into a cost issue in addition to the time it takes to get to you. What are you using it for? Would the other constituents of the tablet or caplet actually be a problem? 

Edit: you could possibly synthesise it through fermentation, but this might be difficult (I'm not sure of the conditions or strains you would need), and you would still need to purify the products. 

Ok, thanks for all your help so far. I'll look to purchase it outright. And thank you for letting me know the sigma tends to be overpriced, I had looked at the prices and assumed for them to be the norm. Could you suggest an alternative supplier to Sigma? 

I need to expose c. Elegans to an exogenous dosage of SAM in order to test other variables. I understand that SAM is already produced in c elegans, but I need an exogenous exposure for this project. And I'm hoping the constituents of a tablet or a capsule won't affect the amount of SAM the c. Elegans are exposed to, but that is a present concern of mine.

I don't know where you're based, but there are a lot of suppliers you could try (MedChemExpress has a much better price https://www.medchemexpress.com/Ademetionine.html). I think your first port of call should be to speak to your school, since they will know more about where they can buy from and how much they're willing to spend. You should have an idea of exactly how much you will need also. 

7 minutes ago, hypervalent_iodine said:

I don't know where you're based, but there are a lot of suppliers you could try (MedChemExpress has a much better price https://www.medchemexpress.com/Ademetionine.html). I think your first port of call should be to speak to your school, since they will know more about where they can buy from and how much they're willing to spend. You should have an idea of exactly how much you will need also. 

Based out of Georgia, USA. And I'll look into this. Thank you