Pesticide Residues Detect And Removal

Barcelona

Hi, everyone, new to this forum. First I should  indicate that I am no scientist nor do some work related to science. I just have great interest in science. And recently, I have a question, how to detect how much pesticide residue is remained in our food,, like banana, and how can we remove the residue?

Thanks!

Edited by Barcelona

For this issue there are different analytical machines available, like gas chromatography, UV, IR spectroskopie, nuclear magnetic resonance and others.

To remove the pesticides there is only one way, they shouldnt bring induring growing and harvest of the fruits.

4 minutes ago, chenbeier said:

For this issue there are different analytical machines available, like gas chromatography, UV, IR spectroskopie, nuclear magnetic resonance and others.

To remove the pesticides there is only one way, they shouldnt bring induring growing and harvest of the fruits.

Thanks, really helpful, thanks for the quick reply, :D

I already explained my idea how to not have to use pesticides at all, in couple other threads.

https://www.google.com/search?q=scienceforums.net+sensei+farmer+skyscrapers

Basically there are needed hermetic farmer skyscrapers. If bugs, fungi, microbes get in some floor, just one floor must be decontaminated.

They could also reduce needed water and power usage. Reduce to zero losses caused by flooding, hail or ground frost.

Pesticides kill not just unwanted organisms but also kill bees and other insects required for reproduction of plants.

This caused major issues in e.g. China.

https://www.chinadialogue.net/article/show/single/en/5193-Decline-of-bees-forces-China-s-apple-farmers-to-pollinate-by-hand

Edited by Sensei

To remove the residue on fruits and vegetables add apple cider vinegar to a bowlful of cold water and submerge for 10 mins, then brush fruits/veg gently and rinse well. Obviously not with bananas though...

9 hours ago, nevim said:

To remove the residue on fruits and vegetables add apple cider vinegar to a bowlful of cold water and submerge for 10 mins, then brush fruits/veg gently and rinse well. Obviously not with bananas though...

And how did you come to the conclusion that such a process would work?

Is it because vinegar is magical?

The only measure to actually reduce pesticides in produce is washing. Not all pesticides can be effectively removed. It depends on properties of the pesticide, as well as the properties of the produce. Once it penetrates deeply into the tissue, rinsing is somewhat ineffective. Some studies have shown that for certain pesticides washing solutions with oxidizing agents, including ozone and chlorine have shown to reduce their concentration. Some have shown that baking soda may have a similar effect. A general issue is that it may actually require a rather long incubation step (more than 15 mins) to reduce the pesticide content.

20 hours ago, chenbeier said:

I know HPLC columns, SPE cartridge, and flash columns. If I want to detect pesticide residue in bananas, I should chose SPE., right? Do you know QuEChERS.. does it work fot the detect process?

5 hours ago, chenbeier said:

I think here kitchen work was meant. Of course this will not remove pesticides in the fruits.

Put some salt into water and wash the fruits, we ususlly do in this way in China.

19 hours ago, Sensei said:

I already explained my idea how to not have to use pesticides at all, in couple other threads.

https://www.google.com/search?q=scienceforums.net+sensei+farmer+skyscrapers

Basically there are needed hermetic farmer skyscrapers. If bugs, fungi, microbes get in some floor, just one floor must be decontaminated.

They could also reduce needed water and power usage. Reduce to zero losses caused by flooding, hail or ground frost.

Pesticides kill not just unwanted organisms but also kill bees and other insects required for reproduction of plants.

This caused major issues in e.g. China.

https://www.chinadialogue.net/article/show/single/en/5193-Decline-of-bees-forces-China-s-apple-farmers-to-pollinate-by-hand

I feel the same way,, but in China, pesticides are still popular. Farmers are less here, they all go to the city for living. It is a trend. and may continue for several years..People use pesticides as a quick fix, but it is against the nature. 

17 hours ago, nevim said:

yeah. right, sometimes we use salt, but I cannot taste the difference, hahah....

7 hours ago, John Cuthber said:

A placedo., sometimes you feel  the food is safe and it really becomes safe to your body. But such a process can remove some iinsolvables.

7 hours ago, John Cuthber said:

Vinegar is usually a mixture of water and between 4 and 5% acetic acid. This versatile acid can mix with water, oil, alcohol and almost any other kind of liquid -- even gasoline -- reaching places that other cleaning products can't. When dissolved in water, acetic acid breaks into two components, the hydrogen and the remainder of the molecule, called the acetate. The hydrogen will try to bond to any molecule that it encounters, acting like a third wheel that weakens the molecule's structure. These hydrogens are great at cleaning stains made from alkali substances, like soap, urine, and limestone.

The acetate component has an extra electron that hangs off the molecule. The electron acts as a magnet to other atoms, especially metals, to make new molecules. For example, the acetate reacts with molecules in rust and grime and changes their makeup so the water can dissolve them. Acetic acid also gets rid of odors by killing off the bacteria and fungi that cause them. Its acidic nature destroys the cell structure of bacteria, and it stops fungi from turning sugar into energy.

https://www.networx.com/article/the-science-of-vinegar

So not by magic, no, but actually there doesn’t seem to be any hard evidence about its ability to remove residue due to pesticides. 

1 hour ago, nevim said:

This versatile acid can mix with water, oil, alcohol and almost any other kind of liquid -- even gasoline --

Acetic acid will mix with gasoline.

Vinegar will not.

2 hours ago, nevim said:

The hydrogen will try to bond to any molecule that it encounters,

Yes, provided that the materials are stronger bases than the acetate ion.

Most pesticides don't meet that criterion.

It's possible that this myth came into being when "Bordeaux mixture" - a mix of copper carbonate, sulphate etc was widely used.

The rest of your post is pretty much irrelevant to the removal of pesticides.

Mind you, the whole topic is based on a misconception.

Why bother to remove them?