Your Favorite Matrix in the series.

MaxCathedral

Was it the first, The Matrix...or the second, Matrix Reloaded or the last, Matrix Revolutions.

Its a tough call, each of them have a slightly different flavor, and all are a rare blend of sci-fi actions escapism with a dash of philosophy and religon thrown in.

If one thing can be said, the directors knew that action is key....keep it coming...and each film ends with a gigantic and spectacular pay off scene.

Hugo Weaving deserved an Oscar for his Agent Smith. Not since Emperor Ming in Flash Gordon was their ever a guy who you loved to hate.

I just can't make up my mind...though I lean towards Matrix Revolutions, that whole attack on Zion is hard to forget, once you have seen it.

I'm a fan of special effects and all, but the story was a lot better in the original Matrix. It had the, this could happen to you (sci-fi style) thing going for it. You could identify with Neo because he had no clue what was going on most of the time, he was just along for the ride, like the audience was. The story for Reloaded and Revolutions just seemed a little too much like a sequil. By that I mean, it's a BIG hit, people love it, so lets stretch the story as much as possible.

Although, I'm a big fan of the scene with the archetect. :) Lots of $10 words.

Yes. I thought the first was good...the second was just half a movie...and didn't it go a bit downhill with the French guy & and his spiked food? Is date-rape via drugging the cultural norm now? But I did like the discussion with the 'Father' guy inside his videoscreen walled office. They finally got to some serious problematic philosophical questions which face *any* world-view.

Oh yeah: and the special effects on the highway chase were over the top and simply fatigueing. What was the point? It was like reading a comic where superman and flash decide to have a footrace and its a tie. The most boring issue of D.C. comics ever. (or was it Justice League?).

That just leaves the audience wondering what all these superpowers are really for, if they don't solve pressing technical problems for the hero. When Superman could bend steel or see behind walls, it gave him some edge against bank robbers and mad scientists. Once everybody has superpowers, it just turns into private club where they all stand around admiring each other, and spout witty sound-bites. At least with Thor, you got wierd German mythology along with cryptic Goth language and cool runes. Matrix was just like a Japanese Kung Fu movie that loses credibility the minute you see the first character walk up a wall sideways like a spider, and hang there.

Character - bender
corner_tl.gif corner_tr.gif
tail.gif
What?! You mean you wouldn't want to see Catwoman and Wonderwoman jello wrestle? What's wrong with you?
corner_bl.gif corner_br.gif

The last one. I loved that, because it meant the Wachowski brothers could sink back into banal obscurity and not subject the world to the substandard brain musings they put to film. There isn't an original thought between the two of them, and they stole every concept and design in the entire film. It's practically a remake of Dark City. Which is why Alex Proyas is still working as a director today and the Wachowskis have gone back to script writing for B action movies like V for Vendetta.

Was it the first, The Matrix...or the second, Matrix Reloaded or the last, Matrix Revolutions.

Put it this way: if I'd started the thread, it would be called "your least hated and reviled Matrix instalment".

Its a tough call, each of them have a slightly different flavor, and all are a rare blend of sci-fi actions escapism with a dash of philosophy and religon thrown in.

Are they bollocks a "rare blend". There was blending alright, but it was blending of other films and other people's intellectual property.

As for philosophy and religion, yes - I agree they were "thrown in". With reckless abandon and a complete disregard for the individual or historical significances.

If one thing can be said, the directors knew that action is key....keep it coming...and each film ends with a gigantic and spectacular pay off scene.

Can't argue with that.

Hugo Weaving deserved an Oscar for his Agent Smith.

No he didn't.

Not since Emperor Ming in Flash Gordon was their ever a guy who you loved to hate.

I'm guessing you don't watch many films/watch much tv/read many books then. I can think of plenty of better villains.

Number one was the best' date=' everything else was just rubbish.

Ollie[/quote']

Yeah, I thought the first was best..it seemed to get progressively worse from there, but relative to a lot of other films (people are so critical these days) they're still really entertaining.

Has anyone seen the spin-off animated compilation...I can't remember the name of it now, predominantly Anime and CGI animations, I watched that over and over a few years back. I also thought the MTV promo for the second film was actually more enjoyable to watch than the film itself...IMO.

After the first movie, the other two were impossible to understand without watching the Animatrix and researching the story line in depth on the web. There was no reason for the story line to be that complex that I sat, after the movie was over, dumbfounded and utterly confused at what I had just scene. Honestly the last two were so bad, they made the first one seem like a work of genius.

First one although mainly stolen ideas ...was the best.

2/3 were pap.....they were so cheesy .It kinda went down hill after the Oracle died (really)...plus parts of the story just didnt make any sense....great special effects though

oh yeh i forgot the corny singing....lmao "zion...zion.." It was only surpassed by LOTR return of the king daft singing, and at the end..were they all come in to frodo's bedroom and that daft git expression of his mouthing ..."Gandolf...aragorn..."

also the alternate end of King Arthur was far superior to the naff wedding and every bugger clapping.....films are all catering for girls n gays....we want to leave the cinema after an half hour sitting in your seat with awe....not leave it like staying there was a chore

I loved the first one. It was fresh and a great new idea. The cinemetography was excellent, but then they changed for real people and cool but limited special effects. That scene with all the Smiths fighting was just painful because it was like watching a cartoon.

That's what was so great about the first one...sure there were wires...sure there were loads of cameras, but it was real people in the fighting scene.

I loved the first one. It was fresh and a great new idea. The cinemetography was excellent, but then they changed for real people and cool but limited special effects. That scene with all the Smiths fighting was just painful because it was like watching a cartoon.

OMG, yes. That part made me want to claw my eyes out of their sockets. I felt like I was playing a video game during that part. I could SEE the polygons for crying out loud.

That's what was so great about the first one...sure there were wires...sure there were loads of cameras, but it was real people in the fighting scene.

The first one was good, and the camera angles and tricks were cool, but there nothing new. Japanese action movies have been doing that stuff for years.

I loved the first one. It was fresh and a great new idea.

lol

Apart from being directly plagiarised from The Third Eye and Proyas's Dark City.

The cinemetography was excellent

Yes. Probably the most redeeming feature of the film, I would have said.

That scene with all the Smiths fighting was just painful because it was like watching a cartoon.

I saw some production footage where one of the effects guys boasted about that scene. It made me snort tea out through my nose.