Xbox360: another bust in gaming world.

ps2huang

Usually, a sequel system of the previous one coming, it takes times to scheme and design. As you could see, Sony makes its system come out in an order: PS released in 1994, PS2 released in the March of 2000, and PS3 will be released somewhere of Spring, 2006. I don't know when Xbox was released in US ( at that time, I was not in US). If Xbox was come in 2001, then it is only 4 years that it has its sequel system coming out for Xbox. That is not long. You need quite a while to plan the design, running ability, and graphics interaction with hardware.

I think Xbox 360 will probably be another bust; unlike what the reports said: "it will be a successful system."

And I don't know why MicroSoft inc don't plan to release it further more years off from now?

I believe ps3 and xbox 360 are both coming out in USA in winter 2005. (correct me if im wrong)

4 Years is more than enough time to make and perfect the game system. The reason why sony took so long from to realesea the ps2 was because it was to their advantage. Its called marketing. Don't get me wrong, it does take time to make a console, but not 4 years IMHO.

I don't see any proof from your arguement on why xbox 360 will be a bust, just an opinion.

That is not long. You need quite a while to plan the design' date=' running ability, and graphics interaction with hardware.

[/color']

No, not for the Xbox. All of the components are generic PC components. The Xbox operating system is the same 'insert disk to play' system that Windows Vista (nee longhorn) utilises. Basically, it's just a PC in a different box with a huge graphics card.

I believe ps3 and xbox 360 are both coming out in USA in winter 2005. (correct me if im wrong)

I believe the Xbox 360 is out in winter '05 but the PS3 is waiting till Spring '06... however the PS3 is a better console, just look at all the stats for it, with The Cell and all, it is vastly better than the xbox360, but the xbox is out first, so loads of people will buy that just to have the best console, then they wont want to buy the PS3, so it'll be interesting to see what happens.

No, not for the Xbox. All of the components are generic PC components. The Xbox operating system is the same 'insert disk to play' system that Windows Vista (nee longhorn) utilises. Basically, it's just a PC in a different box with a huge graphics card.

I think it has nothing to do with computer. The game factors is an important influence on how the console will be.

In Japan, gamers care more about games amusement than how its online is able to give us the fun.

^^^ Not once these dual core systems launch, the Xbox has three processors with two cores a piece, and PS3 has Cell. Although i see PS3 doing a lot worse simply because of its projected price point, between 400 and 1000 dollars. I think it will launch at about 449.99 if for no other reason that Blu-Ray. And that's why it'll fail, the casuals won't pay that much for a system, but Sony thinks its name can keep them coming back. That's the same thing Nintendo thought in 95 before the PS destroyed them.

^^^ Not once these dual core systems launch, the Xbox has three processors with two cores a piece, and PS3 has Cell. Although i see PS3 doing a lot worse simply because of its projected price point, between 400 and 1000 dollars. I think it will launch at about 449.99 if for no other reason that Blu-Ray. And that's why it'll fail, the casuals won't pay that much for a system, but Sony thinks its name can keep them coming back. That's the same thing Nintendo thought in 95 before the PS destroyed them.

My friend. Computers are the most powerful entertainment systems, and always will be. Consoles are always catching up with pc's. Consoles also have limited entertainment sources, theres little modding, little replay and extra value. The gaming community is also, very casual, per se, less interesting. Well thats my opinion anyhow.

I know that xbox has supposedly 9000 cpus and such, but those first are not really as fast as they say they are. For example, sony says there ps3 can process 2 teraflops! By gosh thats unimaginamble, you would need a monster to do that! It was all done in some biased testing with twisted results. Floating point bullshit. Anyhow.... Pc still rock the faces of any console or any other gaming medium.

My friend. Computers are the most powerful entertainment systems, and always will be.

The days of the home PC being superior are limited, and the PS3 will be the most impressive platform outside of a games development lab.

For example, sony says there ps3 can process 2 teraflops! By gosh thats unimaginamble, you would need a monster to do that! It was all done in some biased testing with twisted results. Floating point bullshit.

Er, that's not a good example. Your problem here is that your assuming Sony cannot produce a chip that fast. But it's not just Sony, its Sony/IBM/Toshiba. :D

The 'tests' were not bias, the processor is the fastest currently on the market. IBM are using the chipset in new servers, which represent the cutting edge of processor design. If the processor could not do what it claims, IBM would have lost billions of pounds in revenue.

Just for info, proof IBM have the fastest processors in the world: -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3983131.stm

Just for info, proof IBM have the fastest processors in the world: -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3983131.stm

You realise processor R&D advances a hell of a lot in nearly a year? It wouldn't surprise me if they'd been ousted by now.

Not really a big issue for this thread I suppose, since they ain't squeezing those things into consoles.

I doubt the console will be able to usurp the PC in the market, simply because a full PC gives you (i.e. a seller) so many more marketing and technology avenues to explore. But the PS3 will definitely raise the bar.

You realise processor R&D advances a hell of a lot in nearly a year? It wouldn't surprise me if they'd been ousted by now.

Yes, that's true. But the progressions are usually on one chipset design for a year or so until a new design beats it. At the moment the IBM 'Grid' processing theories are still on top. I doubt the would be on top if Cray was still alive, but there you have it.

Because the PS3 has dual processing technology and the (comparatively) huge processors designed to take advantage of dual processing, I'm still hopeful that the PS3 will outstrip the home PC capabilities (on a single processor system, anyhow). It'll certainly beat your PC, anyhow :P

Yes, that's true. But the progressions are usually on one chipset design for a year or so until a new design beats it. At the moment the IBM 'Grid' processing theories are still on top. I doubt the would be on top if Cray was still alive, but there you have it.

Actually, I have to agree to be honest. There are few people around now with interests in pushing the flop barrier. But they are still not relevant to the domestic market, even if you apply directional technology arguments.

Because the PS3 has dual processing technology and the (comparatively) huge processors designed to take advantage of dual processing, I'm still hopeful that the PS3 will outstrip the home PC capabilities (on a single processor system, anyhow). It'll certainly beat your PC, anyhow :P

Sony hype. The cell chip is one of the most powerful processors on the domestic market, but that spec on its own does not necessarily make the machine as a whole "a more powerful gaming system" than the leading PC. The technology is certainly a leap, but it's not like the PC industry is going to sit on its arse and stagnate while the PS3 is being released. Also Sony have the problem that their chosen processor ain't going to be getting any (significantly) faster between now and their first sales peak.

I can order a Barton or Winchester core right now and overclock it beyond the PS3 specs, and not have to worry about the overhead of having my CPU act as a device controller for hardware it has no business controlling. The graphics cards one can pick up these days make the entire raft of current and pre-release consoles look like childish toys :P

Dual processor motherboards for PCs have been available for a over decade, by the way, so I wouldn't expect many PC owners' jaws to drop in goggle-eyed disbelief. I am not sure what you mean by "the (comparatively) huge processors designed to take advantage of dual processing". That sounds arse-over-tit to me, pardon my French.

Anyway, back on topic... I am sure the x360 will be well received, even if it is a bunch of old rubbish six months after the launch date.

Actually' date=' I have to agree to be honest. There are few people around now with interests in pushing the flop barrier. But they are still not relevant to the domestic market, even if you apply directional technology arguments.

Sony hype. The cell chip is one of the most powerful processors on the domestic market, but that spec on its own does not necessarily make the machine as a whole "a more powerful gaming system" than the leading PC. The technology is certainly a leap, but it's not like the PC industry is going to sit on its arse and stagnate while the PS3 is being released. Also Sony have the problem that their chosen processor ain't going to be getting any (significantly) faster between now and their first sales peak.

I can order a Barton or Winchester core right now and overclock it beyond the PS3 specs, and not have to worry about the overhead of having my CPU act as a device controller for hardware it has no business controlling. The graphics cards one can pick up these days make the entire raft of current and pre-release consoles look like childish toys :P

Dual processor motherboards for PCs have been available for a over decade, by the way, so I wouldn't expect many PC owners' jaws to drop in goggle-eyed disbelief. I am not sure what you mean by "the (comparatively) huge processors designed to [i']take advantage[/i] of dual processing". That sounds arse-over-tit to me, pardon my French.

Anyway, back on topic... I am sure the x360 will be well received, even if it is a bunch of old rubbish six months after the launch date.

you do realize that the graphics processor in the PS3 and 360 are both based on a generation of cards that aren't even out yet, and you can get a system like the 360 that has 3 dual core Cpus running at 3.2 ghz and a GPU based on ATI's next gen GPU alll for under 400 dollars. how much will it cost you to build a PC with those specs right nwo, or hell 6 months from now? How long wil lit take the PC to even get three processors? and you have to remember, consoles don't have all that extra crap running in the background like a computer so the numers are very misleading, when your system focuses on nothing but games and games related things and you're working in a closed systems you don't have to worry about scaling them down and crap. Plus, now their's talk of the 360 getting a HD-DVD drive, and we already know the PS3 will have a Blu-ray drive to match its cell processor which has one PPE and 7 SPEs, i just don't see how the PC can compare.

Guest Flagg

Hey guys you’re forgetting the little guy what about Nintendo? At least it will be backwards compatible. But I digress the X box 360 will do fine because it will have a secret weapon Halo 3. Granted we can rant and rave that it is horrible or good, whatever the fact remains it will be bought.

But don't forget about the revolution...backwards compatible

Edit: typos