A theory on the creation of time

Proan

I have a theory for discussion that time is created by the expansion of space.

I propose that every point of space in the universe is expanding at the speed of light and time as we perceive it is the measurement of the potential to move into the space created. This creates a reality horizon. A physical barrier if you like which is light speed.

When you travel in space you are closer to the horizon in the direction you are moving meaning that space in front is effectively expanding slower creating a time dilation for the object in motion. Travelling at the speed of light would mean that space would not be expanding in the direction of travel at all so there would be no movement through time. You can't travel faster as there is no "new" space expansion in that direction to travel in to.

I also propose that as space expands through mass it is slowed down.

The point at the centre of the mass, as with all points, wants to expand at the speed of light but is restricted by the mass so expands slower. As it moves through the mass and the mass ahead reduces it speeds up until reaching open space where it then expands at light speed again. It is still "behind" where it should be creating a gravitational drag. This proportional deficit would reduce the further away that point gets from the mass explaining why gravity recedes with distance but never disappears.

Black holes where the mass is so compacted as to stop the expansion of space are outside of the reality horizon, and would have a surrounding region with no time.

I'm probably off the mark but appreciate some comments please

Space and time in many aspects are interchangeable. The faster you move through space, the slower you move through time. 

And of course as from Einstein and relativity, his teacher modified as follows....."The views of space and time which I wish to lay before you have sprung from the soil of experimental physics, and therein lies their strength. They are radical. Henceforth space by itself, and time by itself, are doomed to fade away into mere shadows, and only a kind of union of the two will preserve an independent reality."— Hermann Minkowski

Another point you touched on with some truth in it, is that the expansion of spacetime and the universe, is only apparent over large scales: Over smaller galactic and galactic group scales, the ensuing gravity, sees those regions decoupled from the overall expansion. eg: M31 [Andromeda] and galaxies in our local group and beyond, are gravitationally bound to the Milky Way and will, one day in the future, merge with us.

I understand that my hypothesis has no supporting mathematics. It was more a conceptual idea for discussion as to me it seems plausible. Time exists as a consequence of expanding space and is actually the potential to move through it.

It would explain why the speed of light can not be exceeded and why mass and movement causes time dilation. It would also indicate that travelling backward in time would be impossible and explain why time always moves forward.

i have read that space is not expanding where mass is clustered but that doesn't seem right, and again I apologise for not having any scientific evidence to back up that comment. It would make more sense for the expansion to be universal so to speak.

Not sure that I follow why you are asking about the relation to matter. I'm suggesting that the space is expanding through your laptop and your laptop is slowing it down imperceptibly causing a gravitational lag. If your laptop had no mass then perhaps it would be a long way away by now.

Sorry, I misunderstood the part about matter..

When you say all points of space are expanding, what are they expanding in relation to? 

Are you suggesting space is composed of something? If not, and it does not take matter along with it, how would you test your hypothesis?

Since points of space closer to matter move slower than those points further away, what is in between the two points of space as the distance between them increases?

2 hours ago, Proan said:

I have a theory for discussion that time is created by the expansion of space.

I propose that every point of space in the universe is expanding at the speed of light and time as we perceive it is the measurement of the potential to move into the space created. This creates a reality horizon. A physical barrier if you like which is light speed.

When you travel in space you are closer to the horizon in the direction you are moving meaning that space in front is effectively expanding slower creating a time dilation for the object in motion. Travelling at the speed of light would mean that space would not be expanding in the direction of travel at all so there would be no movement through time. You can't travel faster as there is no "new" space expansion in that direction to travel in to.

I also propose that as space expands through mass it is slowed down.

The point at the centre of the mass, as with all points, wants to expand at the speed of light but is restricted by the mass so expands slower. As it moves through the mass and the mass ahead reduces it speeds up until reaching open space where it then expands at light speed again. It is still "behind" where it should be creating a gravitational drag. This proportional deficit would reduce the further away that point gets from the mass explaining why gravity recedes with distance but never disappears.

Black holes where the mass is so compacted as to stop the expansion of space are outside of the reality horizon, and would have a surrounding region with no time.

I'm probably off the mark but appreciate some comments please

Special-Relativity-light-clock.png

When we look at the derivation of special relativity, there is the path that light inside of the moving object, and then the path that light takes when an observer sees the light while looking in the window of the moving object.  There is a right triangle calculation involving two paths of light, and then suddenly we're talking about time dilation and length contraction.  You don't even need light for special relativity to happen, just something that has the speed of light, c.  So why wouldn't someone wonder if there is something moving at the speed of light to facilitate the "invariance of c". 

There is also a logical consequence of what happens when things expand at the speed of light.  They get big.  In one second, they're already 6x108 meters wide.  It shouldn't go unnoticed that spacetime is big, really big. 

The geometry of the line cone seems to suggest that something is getting bigger at the speed of light.

18.jpg

57 minutes ago, Proan said:

i have read that space is not expanding where mass is clustered but that doesn't seem right, and again I apologise for not having any scientific evidence to back up that comment. It would make more sense for the expansion to be universal so to speak.

No, it is right and for the reasons stated in the post just above yours. Gravity due to heavy matter/energy densities regions, literally overcome the expansion, including BH's.eg: again as per Andromeda and our local group and even far beyond.

Edited by beecee

2 minutes ago, beecee said:

No, it is right and for the reasons stated in the post just above yours. Gravity due to heavy matter/energy densities regions, literally overcome the expansion, including BH's.eg: again as per Andromeda and our local group and even far beyond.

Could it be that the expansion is occurring but the amount of mass and motion appear to cancel it out in those regions?

Try not to think about expansion as expanding into something. Expansion is simply the average density decreasing. This mathematically can be described as the expansion  of the metric coordinate system. Now the other thing is to not think of space as a substance. Space is simply a volume. It is the volume filled with the SM particles. The average mass/energy density decreases as expansion occurs as per the ideal gas laws of thermodynamics.

Now spacetime  adds time as a coordinate. To give time a coordinate we must give it an equal footing with length  we do this by using the interval ct.

So our coordinates  become ct,x,y,z

3 hours ago, Proan said:

Could it be that the expansion is occurring but the amount of mass and motion appear to cancel it out in those regions?

If the expansion is overcome by mass/energy densities and gravity, then it cannot occur.

It could be that the amount of mass and motion in galactic clusters is equal to the expanding space making it appear like there is no expansion in those regions. Much like solar systems "settle" in to regular patterns.

1 hour ago, Proan said:

It could be that the amount of mass and motion in galactic clusters is equal to the expanding space making it appear like there is no expansion in those regions.

How can "mass and motion" be a single quantity? Do you mean momentum?

And how can that be equal to "expanding space"? You can't equate completely different things.

On 8/10/2019 at 1:25 AM, Proan said:

I propose that every point of space in the universe is expanding at the speed of light

We know that is not true, from observation.

Expansion is a scaling effect and therefore the rate of separation of any two points is proportional to how far apart they are. If they are far enough apart then they will be sepating at the speed of light. If they are further apart then they will be moving apart at more than the speed of light.

If every point were expanding at the speed of light, then that would result in exponential expansion and all the distant galaxies would have disappeared long ago.