Why?

dimreepr

https://www.gunviolencearchive.org/reports/mass-shooting

How many times have I seen an American movie that fires massive amounts of ammo, at the protagonist/bad guy, in the futile attempt to stave off/kill the protagonist/bad guy, only for that protagonist/bad guy to be be stopped/killed by the guile/intelligence of the hero, mostly without ammo.

America, are you trying to be obtuse?

Edited by dimreepr

42 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

Think of it more like groups that enjoy a particular activity as a social foundation, who've had their proclivities usurped by other groups that just want to make as much money as possible off those predispositions.

In the US, that's the situation with guns. As an analogy, imagine if we passed a law removing the age restrictions for driving a car. We'd probably have AAA, backed by an enormous, profit-hungry lobby pushing for more automobile ownership because it's a basic part of American culture. Meanwhile, the citizenry keeps asking when all the senseless death is going to stop because kids are behind the wheel. There are too many folks who don't abuse car ownership who would be worried that more legislation will impact them negatively. They want to drive their cars, they do it responsibly, and it seems like those who don't are the ones who should be legislated. I think Americans have been brainwashed too many times with the slippery slope argument; if you let them take away part of your rights, they'll eventually take them all.

What turned me off most about gun culture (besides all the killing) was knowing how business works, and knowing what you have to do when business is slow. A gun shop can run a sale, but on a global level, arms merchants are doing much more to increase interest in their goods. They're creating their own markets by creating the problems their goods are supposed to solve.

8 hours ago, dimreepr said:

How many times have I seen an American movie that fires massive amounts of ammo, at the protagonist/bad guy, in the futile attempt to stave off/kill the protagonist/bad guy, only for that protagonist/bad guy to be be stopped/killed by the guile/intelligence of the hero, mostly without ammo. 

I don't know they get stopped by intelligence - very often, and very deliberately, it has the bad guy offered the opportunity to surrender but he is so crazy-bad he forces the good guys to shoot him - in self defense of course. Entire televisions series have contrived endings that result in a shootout, so the bad guy can be killed. The reality of messy aftermaths is almost never part of the story.

My own view is that there is a universal human capacity for getting enjoyment and satisfaction from knowing someone deemed bad is made to suffer or die - but it does not require any weighing of evidence or certainty; just being told someone is bad can be enough. Just being like someone bad - the same religion, ethnicity, political associations or appearance even - can be enough. Our institutions and laws work to channel and moderate such urges, but entertainment too often plays upon them - we get shown how bad they are and after that we can enjoy seeing confessions beaten out the suspect or their premises searched without warrants and ultimately see them get shot and killed.

I do think the style of entertainment reflects (with exaggeration) some real elements of the culture and vigilantism seems to be more celebrated by Americans than it is amongst, say Australians. Not that it doesn't exist here, but I don't think it has the same cultural approval.

How many Americans are routinely carrying guns - and  are on the lookout for opportunities to be a hero? Surely just carrying weapons requires an extra watchfulness for the people and situations that might warrant their use - but I really do prefer the idea that my society's armed protectors are well trained and resort to use of arms is not something random citizens are encouraged to do.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/7/2019 at 6:56 AM, dimreepr said:

https://www.gunviolencearchive.org/reports/mass-shooting

Moviemakers believe that what they create manifests iteslf in reality in a myriad of ways. They aren't going to talk about that but all of the successful movie makers hold this superstitious belief, and perhaps theres something to it but it isnt an exact science. Therefore, they believe that since their movies have cultural influence, why not mechanical physical influence through the actions they present? Big issue in the U.S.A. is gun violence. Therefore, the thought is that if only one in a thousand rounds were deadly in the movie this might somehow convert into reality. Most firearm incidents involve a single magazine or less and plenty of the rounds connect. So, their thoughtline is "dilution"? Since that is the case one would argue why have any guns at all in the movie? Either way, whether I am correct or not, moviemakers are laregely a very highly intelligent lot, often equally superstitious like famous sports players often are, and are very aware of what effects their creations have on our reality in a social level.

On 8/7/2019 at 7:39 AM, Phi for All said:

What turned me off most about gun culture (besides all the killing) was knowing how business works, and knowing what you have to do when business is slow. A gun shop can run a sale, but on a global level, arms merchants are doing much more to increase interest in their goods. They're creating their own markets by creating the problems their goods are supposed to solve.

Money and business is the bottom line, not moral or political obligations. How many times have American and Russian arms dealers sold to their political enemies or willingly armed terrorist organizations or dangerous regimes or dictators? They do it all the time. Its all about the money. Bottom line.

On 8/7/2019 at 3:41 PM, Ken Fabian said:

How many Americans are routinely carrying guns - and  are on the lookout for opportunities to be a hero? 

The U.S. population is the most heavily armed civilian population in a free country when it comes to firearms. In my personal experience there are regional differences in how many Americans take their guns with them or show them off. In states in the south like Texas or Nevada you will often see civilians with gun holsters on their hips and a pistol ready to fire in the holster. In northern states like Minnesota and Washington the old shotgun in the truck cab window display seems to be the popular option. But places where the gun violence is rampant like L.A. or Detroit, you don't see people flaunt their guns, they conceal them.

Edited by Art Man