What is the Purpose of Life ?

Airbrush

1 hour ago, Prometheus said:

Is this true? I couldn't find any documentation.

Explain to me why if these subjective experiences are to be considered serious evidence of life after death we can't also take seriously people who report the existence of DMT elves (a real community of people, not one i've just made up).

Dr. moody published and was fired in 1975, over 40 years ago. I can't think of a reason that would be documented for all time. If you wish to believe in elves seen during drug trips that is fine with me. If you really believe NDEs are just "made up" then they have nothing to offer you. Just pass them bye. I am confident that truth will always come out eventually. I am not lessened by others disbelief.

"Ye shall know truth by its peace and calm"

"I saw a Wood Sprite
dancing on a leaf.
The more I looked at her
She looked right back at me.

She danced up and down the leaf
a dance I’d never seen.
Then quickly as she came
she disappeared again."

54 minutes ago, Goude said:

If you wish to believe in elves seen during drug trips that is fine with me.

That's a strawman, because Prometheus didn't say anything about belief.

The question is, why is YOUR version/Moody's version of NDEs more valid than the versions where people saw elves? 

37 minutes ago, Phi for All said:

That's a strawman, because Prometheus didn't say anything about belief.

The question is, why is YOUR version/Moody's version of NDEs more valid than the versions where people saw elves? 

Because what they see the Doctor do can, and is, verified by the Doctor. This is done in many experiences. Pam Reynolds' doctor went public with the information on Television. Can't tell you the time or name of the show, but I do remember watching it.

The experience has been verified by many medical professionals. Why scientists think it is all subjective I don't know. But even if subjective it offers hope and gives meaning to life. I think this is not going to be understood. The fear of change is just too strong.

Edited by Goude

1 hour ago, Goude said:

Dr. moody published and was fired in 1975, over 40 years ago. I can't think of a reason that would be documented for all time.

I ask because sacking someone for writing a fanciful book sounds illegal. Either there's been a miscarriage of justice, which i would have thought the author would have addresses, or something else is going on.  It's not mentioned on his wikipedia entry either.

1 hour ago, Goude said:

If you wish to believe in elves seen during drug trips that is fine with me.

Phi addressed this point. Obviously you've still not followed the link i gave regarding DMT - while admonishing others for doing the same for yours - otherwise you'd know that DMT elves have also been well documented by many medical doctors researching this drug. I know of one doctor, personally, who believes in DMT elves. Psychiatrists are a weird bunch.

1 hour ago, Goude said:

If you really believe NDEs are just "made up" then they have nothing to offer you.

I've nursed maybe hundreds of people through and from death, so i'm well aware of the value of these experiences. I agree the experience of death is something most societies avoid thinking and talking about to their detriment. But the issue you have raised is using them as evidence of an afterlife, which is a different question to value.

1 hour ago, Goude said:

"I saw a Wood Sprite
dancing on a leaf.
The more I looked at her
She looked right back at me.

She danced up and down the leaf
a dance I’d never seen.
Then quickly as she came
she disappeared again."

There's so much wonder and beauty in this universe, yet people still want to make up something even more wondrous, like they can't see what's before them.

The Wood Sprite doesn't need to literally exist for it to imbue our world with magic.

43 minutes ago, Goude said:

Because what they see the Doctor do can, and is, verified by the Doctor.

Being your own judge is VERY convenient, but highly subjective and can't be counted as evidential support.

45 minutes ago, Goude said:

This is done in many experiences. Pam Reynolds' doctor went public with the information on Television.

So what? It's one thing to recount experiences, but something else completely to claim some of those are more valid than others based on nothing but how believable you think their doctors are.

54 minutes ago, Goude said:

The experience has been verified by many medical professionals. Why scientists think it is all subjective I don't know. But even if subjective it offers hope and gives meaning to life. I think this is not going to be understood. The fear of change is just too strong.

Tell me how you or this doctor is assigning importance to the experiences, and I can tell you more about how subjective you're being.

How does it give meaning to life if it's a subjective hallucination, except randomly? 

I think your "fear of change" argument is garbage. Change is required for improvement, but jumping at NDEs without more objective reasoning has NOTHING to do with being afraid. It's about reason, and critical thinking, not fear.

16 minutes ago, Phi for All said:

Being your own judge is VERY convenient, but highly subjective and can't be counted as evidential support.

I don't think you understood. The patient saw the Doctor using a special tool while she was clinically dead. The Doctor verified what she saw and that she was clinically dead at the time. Its all in the video.

In one experience the patient died and the nurse in her hurry to get equipment knocked over a stool. When the patient was revived he said he saw her kick the stool over to her surprise.

4 minutes ago, Goude said:

I don't think you understood. The patient saw the Doctor using a special tool while she was clinically dead. The Doctor verified what she saw and that she was clinically dead at the time. Its all in the video.

In one experience the patient died and the nurse in her hurry to get equipment knocked over a stool. When the patient was revived he said he saw her kick the stool over to her surprise.

Yet again... citation please. 

3 minutes ago, Goude said:

But those things can be explained without resorting to supernatural circumstances. People hear things and swear later they actually saw them as well, but it turns out their brains just filled in a sensory gap. All natural, no need to resort to magic.

9 minutes ago, Goude said:

Its all in the video.

I watch videos for entertainment. For learning, I find too much bad information can slip past me when it comes in a video format. I'm too used to suspending my disbelief when watching videos. Reading is MUCH more trustworthy for me, and gives me a greater power to question.

On 6/14/2021 at 11:55 PM, Goude said:

Thank you. I know it took courage to do it.

Not really, just thought a totally knowledgable approach to this was required in lieu of your apparent fascination/obsession with it.

Like I said, much of it unexplained at this time, but just as unidentified in relation to UFO/UAP's does not equal to Alien origin, so to unexplained does not equate to spiritual or supernatural origin.

Edited by beecee

15 hours ago, Phi for All said:

But those things can be explained without resorting to supernatural circumstances. People hear things and swear later they actually saw them as well, but it turns out their brains just filled in a sensory gap. All natural, no need to resort to magic.

I don't believe there is anything supernatural in life.  Just things we don't understand or don't have a reason for happening. There are alternate explanations to any event. All I can tell you is that NDEs happen when dead people still see and hear what is going on around their dead bodies. When they return to life this information is verified by people that were alive around their dead bodies. If it were any less there would not be hundreds of websites, thousands of experiences, and millions of experiencers on the Internet. It would just not be news. Over the years I have learned much about belief systems and people. I know people believe what they want to believe even if it makes them unhappy and depressed.

There is a website that claims to be scientific run by people that have not experienced NDEs.  It is called "IANDS." The "International Association of Near Death Studies." They might be more helpful, I personally rather read the writings of those who have experienced. I have researched and studied NDEs for over 30 years, reading hundreds of books. I was somewhat skeptical when it happen to me, but since then I have enjoyed many more spiritual events. I am not skeptical now. I give you this information in good faith to do with as you wish.

10 minutes ago, Goude said:

I don't believe there is anything supernatural in life.  Just things we don't understand or don't have a reason for happening. There are alternate explanations to any event. All I can tell you is that NDEs happen when dead people still see and hear what is going on around their dead bodies. When they return to life this information is verified by people that were alive around their dead bodies. If it were any less there would not be hundreds of websites, thousands of experiences, and millions of experiencers on the Internet. It would just not be news. Over the years I have learned much about belief systems and people. I know people believe what they want to believe even if it makes them unhappy and depressed.

You say dead people then say NDEs, do you understand the two are not the same thing? A NDE does not mean someone died and came back. The key is "Near" no one who is dead has ever come back to tell the tale. 

10 minutes ago, Goude said:

There is a website that claims to be scientific run by people that have not experienced NDEs.  It is called "IANDS." The "International Association of Near Death Studies." They might be more helpful, I personally rather read the writings of those who have experienced. I have researched and studied NDEs for over 30 years, reading hundreds of books. I was somewhat skeptical when it happen to me, but since then I have enjoyed many more spiritual events. I am not skeptical now. I give you this information in good faith to do with as you wish.

You say you have studied NDEs for 30 years yet you keep mistaking NDEs for actual deaths. 

30 minutes ago, Goude said:

If it were any less there would not be hundreds of websites, thousands of experiences, and millions of experiencers on the Internet.

Sort of like what is going on with Trump winning the 2020 election, Democrats being pedophile satan worshipers, the existence of miracles, the fake moon landing, fake school shootings, the government taking down the WTC, chemical contrails, Bill Gates installing microchips in people, New World Order, Deep State, False Flag Operations, Flat Earth, fake global warming, and thousands more.

45 minutes ago, zapatos said:

Sort of like what is going on with Trump winning the 2020 election, Democrats being pedophile satan worshipers, the existence of miracles, the fake moon landing, fake school shootings, the government taking down the WTC, chemical contrails, Bill Gates installing microchips in people, New World Order, Deep State, False Flag Operations, Flat Earth, fake global warming, and thousands more.

Makes one wonder, who's telling the truth???

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/16/2021 at 8:00 AM, Moontanman said:

You say dead people then say NDEs, do you understand the two are not the same thing? A NDE does not mean someone died and came back. The key is "Near" no one who is dead has ever come back to tell the tale. 

You say you have studied NDEs for 30 years yet you keep mistaking NDEs for actual deaths. 

When a person's heart stops and brain activity ceases what you have is a dead body. Dr. Moody chose the name near death experience. More accurate would have been Limited Death Experience. Pam Reynolds body was clinically dead for one hour during surgery. Yes, she and other experiencers were actually dead. The info gathered from NDEs is positive . If science chooses to ignore the NDE they will have to prove the brain is where the personality resides. Something that will be impossible. I think we can learn from anomalies that people are not born with a blank brains.

1 hour ago, Goude said:

When a person's heart stops and brain activity ceases what you have is a dead body.

The majority of current medical definitions of death cite some form of 'all functions of the brain have permanently and irreversibly ceased'. Cardiopulmonary cessation hasn't been used in most places since around the 1980s

1 hour ago, Goude said:

Yes, she and other experiencers were actually dead

Not by most definitions of death. It needs to be irreversible.

Given the difficulties of defining life, it is no surprise that defining death adds more shades to the grey.

1 hour ago, Goude said:

If science chooses to ignore the NDE they will have to prove the brain is where the personality resides.

You mean like the plethora of studies that show changes in the brain, due to stroke or cancers etc, can radically alter personality?

1 hour ago, Goude said:

I think we can learn from anomalies that people are not born with a blank brains.

The idea of tabula rasa hasn't been seriously considered by scientists for probably a century. Psychological studies on babies provided the evidence, not NDEs.

You can learn an awful lot about the human condition from NDEs. And DMT. And dreams.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 8/6/2019 at 12:14 AM, Airbrush said:

This is a serious question.  I'd like to know how you would answer this in a few words.

My answer to the question is the purpose of life is to get better, in a few words.  "To get better" is evolution, adaption, and survival.  If you get sick, your purpose is to get better.  If you do well in anything, the purpose is to get better.

I have two serious answers for you:

To gain wisdom through knowledge of ourselves and our environment.

Grow spiritually learning compassion through knowledge of ourselves and others.

I added a spiritual reason because I think we are only beginning the journey here. It will continue through eternity.

The purpose of life is to find and experience love and have that experience as abundantly as possible and if only for a brief period that would be better than nothing.

Having experienced love one can also share that experience with others and always take that experience with themselves. 

Edited by Ferrummageticium

5 minutes ago, Ferrummageticium said:

The purpose of life is to find and experience love and have that experience as abundantly as possible and if only for a brief period that would be better than nothing.

The majority of life on earth is unable to experience love. Seems life is failing in its purpose.

32 minutes ago, Ferrummageticium said:

Please show me proof of other life forms not experiencing love please to validate your reply if you could. ill be waiting a long long time i am betting

Love is a complex mental function, which has been found to interact with other mental functions, such as memory ( Alea & Vick, 2010 ), attention ( Langeslaq et al., 2014 ), perception such as taste ( Chan et al., 2013 ), and reasoning ( Weber & Lehman, 2005 );

https://www.scirp.org/journal/paperinformation.aspx?paperid=72678

The jellyfish is one of the very few animals without a brain which doesn’t sit attached to the same spot its whole life. 

https://animalhow.com/animals-without-brain/

Zapatos,  poor sod,  has never witnessed the passion of earthworms mating and the forbidden love between a toad and a cat,  the love that dare not speak its name.  From the humble paramecium and its many paramours, to the literate and steamy sonnets of the witty dolphin, the biome is drenched in love!