What is the Purpose of Life ?

Airbrush

• 2 months later...

Communication/languages are not immune to the conception of ideas that can't be observed. Asking/answering questions is an interhuman and intrahuman phenomena which is driven by biology/chemistry/physics/DataTakenFromTheEnvironmentAkaObservation (the first three are dogmas I've put there to help you get the idea). Your question has no universal answer and is really just part of what you would call a social phenomena.

The coherence of an answer is proportional to the coherence of the terms used in the question.

''Life'' and ''Purpose'' are not coherent terms yet they are used as fixed values in your question. Your question will not converge into an answer when it comes to reality/interparticular relations.

5 minutes ago, Sebasfort said:

Communication/languages are not immune to the conception of ideas that can't be observed. Asking/answering questions is an interhuman and intrahuman phenomena which is driven by biology/chemistry/physics/DataTakenFromTheEnvironmentAkaObservation (the first three are dogmas I've put there to help you get the idea). Your question has no universal answer and is really just part of what you would call a social phenomena.

The coherence of an answer is proportional to the coherence of the terms used in the question.

''Life'' and ''Purpose'' are not coherent terms yet they are used as fixed values in your question. Your question will not converge into an answer when it comes to reality/interparticular relations.

so your answer is?

I don't know why I'm a fool for threads like this, but since everyone gets to put his or her two cents in...

In one sense, one that may be clear only to me, Lou Reed said it best:

Some people they like to go out dancing
And other peoples, they have to work (just watch me now)
And there's even some evil mothers
Well, they're gonna tell you that everything is just dirt.
You know, that women never really faint,
And that villains always blink their eyes.
And that, you know, children are the only ones who blush.
And that life is just to die.
But, anyone who woulda had a heart
They wouldn't turn around and break it
And anyone who ever played a part
They wouldn't turn around and hate it.

So, from a life-centric point of view (the point of view that has a point of view)... well, you get my drift...

Let's just say that the purpose of having a point of view is to express it.

Edited by Clear Kets

• 9 months later...
On 12/8/2019 at 12:35 PM, Clear Kets said:

I don't know why I'm a fool for threads like this, but since everyone gets to put his or her two cents in...

In one sense, one that may be clear only to me, Lou Reed said it best:

So, from a life-centric point of view (the point of view that has a point of view)... well, you get my drift...

Let's just say that the purpose of having a point of view is to express it.

Really like this one actually. Biocentrism for the win.

• 2 months later...

LOL people's answers here. There is no inherent purpose to the universe, at least as far as we know! There are many philosophies like absurdism: people are inherently trying to find a purpose in the meaningless world, which creates the absurd! Or existentialism, of which basic premise is, that we make our own purpose. At the end it doesn't really matter, we are nothing, we can't change anything! So either you can kill yourself, or just enjoy life, anything else would be stupid...

Edited by empleat

Also, it’s interesting to see some rationalists here rebuking the purpose seekers by stating that "life survives" or "life endeavours to adapt", as if life was more than a completely abstract concept. Life doesn’t endeavour to do anything. Organisms that happen to be fit to survive, survive; while others die out. There is no endeavour in that.

Edited by Interprete

1 hour ago, dimreepr said:

You haven't read the thread then?

Given the neg rep, I assume you have; but that raises a conflict, if you've read the thread why would you say "LOL people's answers here." and then post, basically, my answer; am I not people?

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, Prof Reza Sanaye said:

I should hardly think life has gotten any specific  "purpose" to it .  . . . . .

I think it does, the purpose of life is to live; to be content with life has a purpose.

It's up to you, to provide a purpose while you live; the purpose of death is to feed the living...

5 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

I think it does, the purpose of life is to live; to be content with life has a purpose.

It's up to you, to provide a purpose while you live; the purpose of death is to feed the living...

Appreciations for taking your time to offer me and others comment(s) on my views . .  .. 

10 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

Well, that is the purpose that YOU assign to life. I don't see though where life has any inherent purpose to it, and given the wide range of answers to this question, I don't think that an inherent purpose is obvious.

1 minute ago, zapatos said:

Well, that is the purpose that YOU assign to life. I don't see though where life has any inherent purpose to it, and given the wide range of answers to this question, I don't think that an inherent purpose is obvious.

Of course not, it's completely subjective; but I'm content to live with that...

32 minutes ago, Area54 said:

The journey is more important than the destination.

32 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

Why?

1. A journey occupies time; a destination is but an instant.

2. Journies are variable; destinations are fixed.

3. Journies require observation, analyses and decisions; destinations are content with observation alone.

4. Journies have multiple possible routes; destinations are fixed.

5. Why not?